Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ladymacbeth89

Please give me your Retin-A Micro experiences

I'm a 26 year old female, and my acne recently started flaring up after about a year I got it under control. My derm prescribed me RAM, and I haven't started using it yet because I'm afraid of the IB. Two of my female friends went on RAM, and their IB was so severe, they had to be put on accutane. I'm just worried that the flareup will end up with even more scars and red marks. And being an adult, society finds acne more unnaceptable...at least in my opinion.

Please help the other boards aren't responding. Thanks

I'm a 26 year old female, and my acne recently started flaring up after about a year I got it under control. My derm prescribed me RAM, and I haven't started using it yet because I'm afraid of the IB. Two of my female friends went on RAM, and their IB was so severe, they had to be put on accutane. I'm just worried that the flareup will end up with even more scars and red marks. And being an adult, society finds acne more unnaceptable...at least in my opinion.

My IB wasn't too bad (I was also on antibiotics). The redness and peeling was worse than the IB. but it only lasted a for a short amount of time. Retin A and antibiotics helped my skin A lot. they completely eliminated my cysts but I opted to go on accutane anyway because even though my acne isn't as bad I'm still breaking out, also I was afraid of stopping the antibiotics because i didn't want my skin to get worse again.

My IB wasn't too bad (I was also on antibiotics). The redness and peeling was worse than the IB. but it only lasted a for a short amount of time. Retin A and antibiotics helped my skin A lot. they completely eliminated my cysts but I opted to go on accutane anyway because even though my acne isn't as bad I'm still breaking out, also I was afraid of stopping the antibiotics because i didn't want my skin to get worse again.

I started Retin-A Micro back in late July. I did have a couple of breakouts since then, but in general my skin has been looking pretty okay (drinking tons of H20 helps too!). The breakouts weren't too bad at all actually. I thought they would be a lot worse.

The worse thing about the Retina-A was the peeling. Nothing I used could control it. But the thing is, the peeling did help my pre existing acne marks. So I guess it was a trade off.

I read that it can take at least 3 months to start seeing noticeable results from Retin-A Micro. As for the initial breakout, I guess it differs with everyone. I was pretty lucky, I only had a few pimples.

Yeah, the redness and peeling makes me nervous, too. What kind of moisturizer did you guys use? Also, was it hard to apply makeup and make it look good with all the peeling?

I had a horrible time on RAM. My skin was fed, inflamed and wicked pained while on it. I didn't stick it out for even close to 3 months because of that. MAybe I lasted 2 or more weeks.

Have a look at the earlies picts in my gallery. That was what I looked like on RAM

The itching drove me crazy. Along my jawline, on the lower part where I didn't even apply the stuff.

I didn't have an IB, just red, peeling skin. I used the Aveno sensative skin lotion, because it said it would help dry, red skin. I never tried a different moisturizer so I can't compare.

What really helped at night was this prescription cortisone cream (i can't find my tube right now and don't remember what it was called). It really calmed the itch and the flaking skin.

But, the end result was that it didn't help because I didn't stay on it. The itch was too much.

I'm on azelex now and I love it.

I was on a full Retin-A Micro treatment earlier in the year. Initially the burning was overwhelming, never really had a reaction like that to a treatment before. However it faded after a week, and my initial breakout wasn't quite as severe as it is for other people. I think it helped my red marks somewhat (I was on antibiotics during treatment as well), but obviously not well enough because I am now on Tazorac, the last ditch method before Accutane. Strangely enough, I only have mild to moderate acne. I haven't had cystic acne since 2001. Tazorac is also known for causing some serious initial breakouts. I've only been on it a week, and so far so good. However, maybe my skin is conditioned to retinoids after being on Retin-A micro for so long?

I'm 25 myself, and a year or two ago, I barely wanted to leave the house. I thought everyone was judging me for my flaws, and it was really crippling. I had to undergo a total mindset change. I hated to go to work, and I wasn't going out with friends anymore. Acne is just as psychological as it is physical. Stressing out constantly and worrying about how you are perceived by others is just a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, the redness and peeling makes me nervous, too. What kind of moisturizer did you guys use? Also, was it hard to apply makeup and make it look good with all the peeling?

In the beginning when I was severely peeling, I would apply Aquaphor (who makes Eucerin). Once the peeling subsided a bit, I started using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion SPF 30 (I think that's what it's called).

I was nervous about starting retin-a as well, but I did lots of research and realized that when you put your skin through any new treatment, it has to be done VERY GRADUALLY or else it's like toxic shock to your skin. So I started using RAM back in March 2006, just once every 3 days. The days in between, I didn't use anything, and I also made dietary changes. The moisterizer I used (as recommended by this website) is Cetaphil. Every 3 days worked really well because it helped the skin to gradually adjust to this new treatment. RAM help my skin to exfoliate (yes some peeling) a lot better, especially to fade red marks. To counter the appearance of the peeling, Cetaphil moisterizer was really good. I did not experience the initial breakout at all. To this day, I continue with RAM, just every 3 days. Some red marks to still fade, but no severe acne at all. The occasional small pimple (maybe as a result of bad diet choices and lack of water), but I find that it heals REALLY FAST. Good luck to all, but I really do understand that anxiety that comes with starting a new treatment.

I am becoming a firm believer that Retin-A Sucks. Why? because it doesnt attack the sabacious glands that are really causeing acne and clogged pores. I mean how could it?

i used it for about 4 months give or take it made my skin really oily although i did see improvement it wasent ground bresaking compared to bp there would still be the occational break outs and such and for the price i rather go bp if i was still going to break out now and then

i have been on retinA at night, bp during the day for 6 months now and i think its the best thing i have ever done for my skin. i really dont know which meidcation to credit or maybe it is the combination. i had 1-2 cysts every month which took about 1 month or more to go away and then i also had several small pimples. my skin is now perfectly clear although i do have several red marks.

my IB from retinA came about 4 weeks in and my clear skin started at 6 weeks but was perfectly clear for good at 8 weeks. i had flaky skin yet my skin was oily at the same time for the first 4 wks or so (maybe 6 wks--its hard to remember now). it was pretty uncomfortable, but not unbareable. i recommend a moisturizer with aha in it to combat the flakes (like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion or Lac Hydrin Five). I also recommend a gentle non-medicated cleanser (i used cetaphil gentle cleanser).

anyway in short...it was a somewhat painful process, but was completely worth it in the end. i would do it again.