Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChiakiKuriyama

Spicy Foods Affect on Acne

Today in Spanish we could eat half a habanero pepper(hottest pepper in world 100,000 to 300,000 hottness compared to jalapeno which is 2500). I was like one of 3 people that did not eat one for two reasons. One was because it was obviously incredibly hot and my whole mouth, throat, stomach, and face would be on fire for atleast 2 hours. And secondly because foods that increase body temperature are a big thing to cause breakouts. If I had ate one my face would have probably turned reall red at first cuz of the hottness and then My whole mouth and face would just burn. Everyone wanted me to eat one but I decided not to. =0 Just another sacrafice we have to make. I feel like my life has almost been like based on acne in so many ways. It's looking actually good today, no visible acne, very little redness, and a slight tan which im working on. But today was not a good day, because of some things that happened. It's funny how your day can go from good to horrible just because a few stupid things happen. In 8th period science class when we went down to the nearby creek to get leaves for this lab we were going to be doing I felt like I was and always am the only one that feels like the sun + allergies + all the wind makes you squint your eyes and it still is killing you the whole time you are outside. Anyways this post was about spicy foods, not my life. I wonder how much of an affect a habanero pepper would have on your acne. You would think it would cause a HUGE breakout a day or two after.

Myth: Acne is related to diet

Reality: After years of studies, no correlation between diet and acne has been found. There is no evidence that chocolate, sugar, oil, milk, seafood, or any other food causes acne. Some people absolutely insist that a certain food causes acne for them. In this case, doctors sometimes recommend that they avoid that food. The bottom line is that changing your diet will most likely not affect your acne, and avoiding foods in order to clear your acne is probably a waste of your time.

Try telling that to me now, after changing my diet to mostly eggs and avoiding sugar, sodium, salt, spicy foods, saturated fat, and caffeine I have cleared my acne 99% and am looking 10x better every week.

ChaikiKuriyama,

I don't know about you, I think if you have great result after you change your diet, that's good for you. Whatever make you feel good about yourself and help your acne....just go for it.

Just wanna share my experience about food and acne, ok. biggrin.gif I love chocolate and spicy food. I eat ONLY spicy food (don't like burger or pizza at all), and I consume "at least" 100 gram of dark chocolate from Lindt everyday, 2 cups of hot chocolate, 3-4 cups of coffee....all of that..I don't have any problem with acne at all.

It is quite true that I have break out once in a while but it due to my allergy. I think, all I want to tell you is "spicy food" has nothing to do with acne. Don't you think that everys asian or mexicans would have severe acne by now if spicy=acne?

Okay your point is taken. Maybe you just dont have a big problem with acne to begin with. Are you stereotyping them? Even if they were obsessed with spicy foods they wouldnt neccesarily get acne, because they are not acne prone to begin with and those who are, noone really has any proof their liking for spicy foods has caused some of it. I think having a breakout because of spicy food and it not affecting u, u can come to an obvious conclusion. Spicy foods raise body temperatures, which can raise hormone levels and such causing a breakout. Maybe you do not have a problem with acne and that is the reason spicy foods and caffeine have not shown much affect on you. There is no proof either one of us is right, so I don't think we really need to argue. I am just trying to explain my reasoning.

Reality: After years of studies, no correlation between diet and acne has been found. There is no evidence that chocolate, sugar, oil, milk, seafood, or any other food causes acne. Some people absolutely insist that a certain food causes acne for them. In this case, doctors sometimes recommend that they avoid that food. The bottom line is that changing your diet will most likely not affect your acne, and avoiding foods in order to clear your acne is probably a waste of your time.

Guest fatman_uk

Gotta love the way ppl who have no problem with the acne/diet thing are so quick to jump in an suggest it has no effect on the rest of us. I phuckin wish it didn't to be honest.

-Gaz

Gotta love the way ppl who have no problem with the acne/diet thing are so quick to jump in an suggest it has no effect on the rest of us. I phuckin wish it didn't to be honest.

-Gaz

Hmm i just drank some tom yam soup (spicy thai soup) this afternoon, and 2 hours later i have a small pimple on my chin..

is this coincidence?

(i am on 5mg/day accutane btw.. maintenance/stopping dose)