Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Proximity

FLAKES AND DRYNESS

So, I'm looking around the boards, and when I come to the CSR boards all I see is topics like this:

-"Horrible flakes!!"

-"Dryness & Peeling",

-"I'M QUITTING COS OF THE FLAKES!!!",

-"CSR sucks"

-"regimen isn't working"

Without extreme skin drying and flaking that comes with it, the CSR would be the perfect solution for acne.

But... because this is not the case, we are all (or at least most of us) battling the constant dryness of our skin.

Now, I must say that most people start panicking too soon and are like "OMG I'm on the fourth day of the regimen and my skin is superdry..." - this is normal, because of the so called "BP hardening effect" and a lot of these people get their skin to normal moisture levels in a few weeks.

Others are using either 5% or 10% BP, moisturisers that aren't good enough, irritating cleansers or are adding steps to the regimen that shouldn't be added. ;)

But..... there are still a lot of people who use the perfect products, while doing everything correctly and have started the regimen months ago...and they are still dry & flaky.

These guys often have very sensitive skin and experience a lot of redness too.

A lot of people give it up, while others start using less BP or natural methods like ACV.

I'm one of these people

The problem is, that if you use less BP, you breakout, but if you use more you get dry and flaky. :wall:

So we have to find a solution for this problem.

We have to try to contain the dryness & peeling with something stronger, something that will work better. If we get there, the CSR would be perfect for EVERYBODY.

-Perhaps diluting the BP with moisturiser would help? I know people have done this (nhsbiomed - I know he mixed up something and it worked).

-Creating a BP that already contains a moisturiser within it?

-Creating an even less % BP

Any ideas people?

P.S: I tried ACV and it doesn't work, scotchtape method is irritating and annoying to do everyday, I HATE all Glycolic Acid moisturisers (+ they don't work better than lactic acid moisturisers), drinking more water doesn't help

----------------

My situation:

Using: Neutrogena gentle cleanser, Dan's BP, Eucerin Dry Skin Relief w/ 5% UREA, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunblock

I put a lot of moisturiser on my face twice every day, but if I use half a finger of BP or more, I get terribly flaky despite the moisturiser (when I use less it's quite ok, but then I break out because of too little BP)

As of right now, the best flake-busters we have are Cetaphil moisturizing Lotion and Lac-Hydrin Five, or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, imo.

If anyone is having problems with flaking and dryness that they just can't get under control, I would recommend any of those.

Out of those, I prefer Lac-Hydrin Five. It has 5% lactic acid and is very hydrating.

From Dan's FAQ:

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

Another FAQ on using AHA to help with flaking:

http://www.acne.org/aha.html

Yeah Brandy I know all that, I've used Cetaphil and it sucks + I believe it was breaking me out.

The only thing that can help me now is Lac-Hydrin 5, which I've ordered two days ago.

But the thing is it can't be much better than Eucerin Dry Skin Relief w/ 5% UREA, because they have simmiliar ingredients and both have lactic acid.

And it's probable that even Lac-Hydrin5 can't help everybody - some people will always have flakes when they try to ramp up to full BP dosage.

Thus it's like running around in circles - you ramp up BP, stop breaking out, but get flakes and start breaking out because of the dryness. Then you lower BP dosage and you breakout because you aren't using enough.

I know it is frustrating, and there probably isn't ONE product that will be perfect for everybody. Hopefully Dan will be able to formulate a moisturizer that will put all these others to shame, but for now they are the best we have.

Proximity,

Is that correct that you are using Neutrogena extra gentle cleanser?

Isn't that a non-lathering type cleanser similar to Cetaphil?

It might be part of the problem. It might be leaving behind a residue that is flaking off during the day.

Have you considered trying a lathering type cleanser that won't leave any residue behind? Just something to consider.

Wow interesting, jojoba oil - I'm going to try that.

So were you using the full amount of BP? And what moisturiser & cleanser were you using?

Tell me everything dude.

BTW I've read the reviews in the links you posted and it doesn't seem to be breaking people out, but I'm really kind of sceptical to put anything with the word oil on your face :)

Anybody else have any good suggestions on keeping away flakes?

I agree on the jojoba oil. It's moisturizes really well and doesn't make you look oily.

Neutrogena makes a night time cream. It's called Visably Firm. It has copper peptides in it and I have been using it at night instead of what ever else I was using as a moisturizer. It doesn't break me out and I swear my face looks great when I wake up! However, it's like 20 bucks even at Walmart. But a little goes a long way.

Ok people, so I started to use Jojoba Oil yesterday and I'm almost flake free now. I hope this doesn't jinx it or anything but I'm really hoping this could work.

TRY JOJOBA OIL PEOPLE!

I use it after cleansing when my skin is still a bit wet - I just smear a bunch of it on my skin and it's all good.

Maybe this is the flake solution we are looking for?

Is it wise to use jojoba before bp? Aren't you supposed to have a clean slate when you put on the bp? Keep us posted on how this affects your regimen.

PS Where did you buy it?

Got it at my local pharmacy.

I did a search on Jojoba Oil on these forums and almost everybody uses it like this - cleanse, apply jojoba oil, wait a few mins, apply BP, wait 10-15min, apply moisturiser.

Like it so far. It also supposedly helps redmarks (did a search on the redmarks board too :) ).

I'll keep you posted

Got it at my local pharmacy.

I did a search on Jojoba Oil on these forums and almost everybody uses it like this - cleanse, apply jojoba oil, wait a few mins, apply BP, wait 10-15min, apply moisturiser.

Like it so far. It also supposedly helps redmarks (did a search on the redmarks board too :) ).

I'll keep you posted

Change BP if thats how you really feel.

Dan's BP is very good but I find it to be very strong and can possibly irritate meaning more pimples. Because its drying you probably can't fix this with another product. You may notice your face produce those extra oils to hydrate itself anthen the skin clears up afterwards rather than clog up and make you break out more. I'm still trying dans bp.

Even when I moisturize the moisture goes away and we are talking about cetaphil which does hydrate alot. My skin feels its not enough and demands more moisture. I don't add more because I don't want my face to get used to it. I may be wrong though and I should hydrate more.

i know i seems a bit extreme, but when i was given benzyl peroxide by my doctor my skin was became very flaky in around 3 days. so i started a technique(the extreme part).

when my skin got to flaky/dry, i washed my face with soap and then patted my face dry then i put my hands on my face and rubbed my skin up and down. As bad as it might sound it did get rid of any dryness for another couple days. when the skin got dry again, i did it again.

A result of doing this that i noticed was that it faded out the scars i had and after weeks of it i had virtually no marks on my face.

This is not something u should take as a definite way of losing scars, im just saying that is wat happened in my case. Dont blame me if you do it and something bad happens.

ps. i adcise if u do this that you DONT have any big spots as youll probly pop em which will make another mark.

I'm updating this for those interested - I've been using jojoba oil for 4 days now and I only use a moisturiser once a day now. I'm 95% flake free.

If you have flake problems try this people, I hope this is the solution and it won't break me out (I got 2 very small pimples after using it, but I wouldn't say that was because of jojoba oil). We'll see.

A combination of AHA, drinking oodles of water/green tea and an oatmeal/yogurt/egg yolk/honey mask keeps me pretty much flake free. the thing is the mask is only effective for a few days. like, if i use it on sunday, on wednesday i'm flaky again. the obvious answer is to do the mask twice a week. but it smells weird so i'd like to use it as little as possible. like never.

potentially stupid question: is vaseline comedogenic?

I'd like to point out that even when the regimen has cleared you up, it could take an extra month or two for flaking and dryness to disappear. I stopped having dryness problems maybe three months in, though I was clear after two months. Changing to a better cleanser and moisturizers has kept flakes at bay since, though now I'm at the point where I can apply BP and my skin doesn't feel like it needs the moisturizer--I put it on more for SPF protection, the benefits of AHA, and cosmetic reasons than because my skin feels dry. Your skin really will get used to all this BP in good time, but it can take a while. I know that three months into the regimen I definitely still felt like I needed moisturizer after applying BP, but that's not the case now. Seasonal issues and lots of product changes might make this take longer, too.

The close of this month will be my 4th month on CSR. It has cleared up my skin very well, I still battle the occasional whitehead/pimple once a week or so but still, drastically better than it was. However, I still experience the "flaking effect." It seems to come in cycles, maybe once every week and a half or so. The flakes are very fine and really there is no product I have that can keep them under control. After two days or so they go away and all is back to normal.

Personally, I tired neutrogena healthy face w/ spf and the sensitive skin formulation. I think both of them triggered the flaking. I have been using Oil free moisture for a month or so now and having no real complains.

However, I would like to see how this jojoba oil method pans out, do keep us updated proximity!

The close of this month will be my 4th month on CSR. It has cleared up my skin very well, I still battle the occasional whitehead/pimple once a week or so but still, drastically better than it was. But, I still experience the "flaking effect." It seems to come in cycles, maybe once every week and a half or so. The flakes are very fine and really there is no product I have that can keep them under control. After two days or so they go away and all is back to normal.

Personally, I tired neutrogena healthy face w/ spf and the sensitive skin formulation. I think both of them triggered the flaking. I have found my skin to be pretty sensitive to many products but I have been using Oil free moisture for a month or so now and having no real complaints.

However, I would like to see how this jojoba oil method pans out as it sounds promising, do keep us updated proximity!

I use jojoba oil in the morning & cetaphil lotion at night. Jojoba oil alone wont keep away my flakiness, but cetaphil in the morning makes me too shiny & oily. The jojoba oil is SO awesome for balancing the oil in my skin. I stay shine free for most of the day now!

Neither has broken me out, but I have only used them 2 or less weeks.

You should apply Jojoba Oil right after you cleanse, not after you put on BP. Like this:

-Cleanse

-Put on Jojoba oil

-BP

-Moisturiser (optional, since your skin is already moistured from jojoba)

BTW Jojoba is still working great for me

Everyone should really try jojoba oil. The one i've been using is Desert Essence and it's working wonders. My flakes were horrible. It looked as if I was a reptile peeling away it's dead skin. Anyways, try it!!

Just a note to say that I've set up a forum dedicated to researching what causes acne. The forum is pretty much the same as this one ( mainly because I love the layout etc :D ) but has a lot more emphasis on the conspiracy of acne. - ie - That is is curable but cosmetics companies don't want us to know that, due to the trade.)

Anyone interested -

*PM me for address* (edited by mod, external links and advertising other website's not allowed)

Please don't think I'm trying to take members away from here, as, as far as I am concerned the sub division of acne forum is totally different. Anyone looking to join, please don't think we are looking to "steal" you from here. It'd be a shame for people to leave because a forum like this has been so useful to myself over the past year or so, it'd be awful for me and others to stop using what is at our disposal as it were.

After reading posts about it, I decided to make the switch to Jojoba Oil. Since my Eucerin ran out, I have had no luck with the current recommended moisturizers:

Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer SPF 15- Sucked, never got rid of flakes, didn't absorb good and left me looking greasy.

Lac-Hydrin-5- Alot of people rave about it and say it's a mild AHA, but everytime I would apply it, it would burn and turn my face red. Too irritating for me.

Cetaphil- I used this early in the regimen and never was really pleased with it.

I recommend Jojoba Oil to anyone who can't get rid of their flakes with the other moisturizers. Thank you Proximity for spreading the word on it! :clap:

My skin goes through times when Im extremely dry and flaky and times where Im fine. Ive been doing the regimen a year. I dont get it, sometimes Im completely fine, others Im red, irritated and flaky yet I dont change my routine. Ugh I hate it.

My skin goes through times when Im extremely dry and flaky and times where Im fine. Ive been doing the regimen a year. I dont get it, sometimes Im completely fine, others Im red, irritated and flaky yet I dont change my routine. Ugh I hate it.

Could it be hormonal? Or seasonal?