Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilingeyes

Feeling too insecure to go to the Derm......

You know, when I was younger I was SOOOOOOOOO insecure that I didn't even want to go visit the derm, thinking he/she would say, "OMG you've got the worst skin ever!"

Has anyone else ever had those kinds of thoughts?

:-s nancy

yeah.. it wasn't about seeing the derm for me, but rather sitting in the waiting room with all the other people. it was embarrassing even though probably 85% of the other people were there for the same reason.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Untrue. You'll see some of the people at our derm's office have breakouts scars and stuff...I don't wanna mention their names out here. This is not meant as a put down btw..I'm just letting you know that people who work at the derm's office don't necessarily have 'flawless' skin either.

I had the same feeling when I went to our derm's office, kinda self conscious then I think to myself..heck, all the rest of the people in the waiting room must have problems too, that's why they're there. So that was my pep talk while I was waiting in the wait room.

it's funny that you mention that because when i went to the derm for poison sumac i was comfortable (well not really because 75% my body was puffed out and bleeding and very itchy) but i went a little later for acne and i was very nervous i mean when i saw someone i knew and i was so terrified. i think it's such a huge confidence killer because it's not just like "oh i have a skin condition" everyone has it to a mild extent so it's like you feel worse then everyone else. because i know when i was clear people would have conversations with me like eww his acne is really bad why doesn't he just put on acne medicine like I do, it's all i do and it works fine. it's a much more serious psychological condition then people give it credit for.

isn't it though? I was willing to take my little one to the derm when she got these huge red spots all over her (I still am not sure what they were, lol) but wouldn't go for my own acne condition. Weird, huh?

~nancy

it was a BIG issue for me because i had never ever let anyone see my acne before, not even my own family.. because i always had it covered up with make up! so could you imagine being embarasssed to show your acne to own FAMILY at your house, and then having to go out in PUBLIC and show your acne to a complete stranger, with about 70(it was sooooooo packed) other people seeing there in the waiting room! it sucked.. and i straightened my hair completely and had it coverering most of my face(AVRIL LAVIGNE STYLE) LOL.. but luckily that day my face cleared up immensly over night.. it's kinda like when you have a hair appointment you are having a GREAT hair day. how ironic! well let's just say i was dreading it really bad but i did it and i'm proud of myself for it!

awwww Nancy that's kinda sweet lol.... their there to help tho biggrin.gif they'd of seen it all before and most likley worse... so nuttin to be scared of O:)

I remember my first time I went to see my doc... I faked an ingorwing toe nail hehe. and slipped the question in at the end "so buddy, while I'm here can you give me something for my er.... my.... ahhh.... my face" 8-[ he did and it worked... abit anyhow

Good luck with it anyhow!

Yeah, I felt weird when the nurse asked me the reason I came in to see the derm today. Just telling other people, even at a derm's office, that you are here because of your acne problem feels weird. But I've learned to overcome this and realize that I will benefit the most from each visit by preparing to discuss everything I want to discuss with the derm so he/she knows how I feel about the acne and what I hope to get out of the treatments.

My problem has always been that I don't feel my acne is always taken seriously because it's mild. When I am having a good day and wearing loads of make-up, it's hardly noticeable. I used to feel kind of silly going to derms when I was younger, sometimes I would feel like I was wasting their time. But at the end of the day, I do have acne, and although it's mild, it is extremely persistent and difficult to get rid of.

Now I just think that this is the derms' job, and they get paid a s**tload of money to do it!! They have seen loads of different skin conditions before, and there is absolutely no reason I should not go to a doctor if something is bothering me.

I was actually more comfortable going in to see the facial reconstruction doctor than the derm, and he was able to prescribe me those medications too (even at the free consult!). And its getting easier to go in although something inside me still cringes every time (and yes Obi I have noticed that no one there has perfect skin, although the doctors wife is absolutely gorgeous!).

Anyhow, its nice to know its not JUST me, lol.........

~nancy

Same here. I was scared to go to the derm because of my skin. The first visit, there was 4 people in the waiting room and they had near perfect skin. I wonder why they were there. On top of that, the receptionist is so damn gorgeous, I can't bear to look at her. I now get my appointments later in the day because most people at that office get theirs in the morning.