Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

I've been reading a lot of different sites and many topics in this board trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Should I avoid sunlight to prevent my red marks from lasting longer? I've read that sunlight can be good for the skin in that it dries out your acne and of course helps in producing vitamin D. But, on the other hand, exposing your red marks to the sun will make them last longer. Since I've read that red marks can take up to two years to fade, I would like to find out the truth.

Guest buttonit
Posted

I've been reading a lot of different sites and many topics in this board trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Should I avoid sunlight to prevent my red marks from lasting longer? I've read that sunlight can be good for the skin in that it dries out your acne and of course helps in producing vitamin D. But, on the other hand, exposing your red marks to the sun will make them last longer. Since I've read that red marks can take up to two years to fade, I would like to find out the truth.

red marks can take longer then 2 years. most people on here tell me there red marks look way worse when they tan.

Posted

Hello

I have been going to dermatologists for wayyyy too long and they have all always told me the same thing..stay out of the sun..and now..i actually believe them. I had always felt that the sun was good for my skin-it dried it out, but not too harshly and just made everything look better. However, when the tan fades, your skin will look like it did before and your acne usually gets worse. the only reason your face/back/whereever looks clearer and healthier is b/c it is tanned and the scars and red marks look like they are gone but they are just lighter now/less noticable when your skin is darker. also, when you go into the sun, the uva/uvb rays dry out the skin and this drying out causes the skin to produce extra oil

(it thinks it's lacking..stupid skin) and then you usually break out more. I have a personal experience which has now made me actually scared to go out in the sun..well not that i don't go outside, i just don't sunbathe and i wear sunscreen everyday and reapply every two hrs. (what my derm told me to do). okay so back to that experience..last march i went to florida with my family and before and during the trip my skin was clear..not perfect but to me it was good/manageable..i was happy. however, i then stuuupidly laid out in the sun for waayy too long and got a terrible sunburn..i mean terrible!! like all over my back..pure, bright red. it eventually faded and all was okay. then like a month later my back started to break out and it was BAD! my back used to break out like when i was 12/13 but it has been clear for a long time now..fine, completely clear until this eruption i will call it, that's what is was. i went back to my derm, hadn't been in a while and both she and the nurse were shocked--i mean it was that bad. it is now completely clear again but i will never sunbathe again. the derm told me that after that burn all the crap and excess oil were caught below the surface of the burned skin and then it all rose to the surface at once..nice eh? so in short--hahaha holy cow this is a long comment DO NOT stay in the sun for long periods of time and wear sunscreen everyday.

Posted

have you ever noticed that people who dont go out in the sun have really nice skin? ok.

Posted

i dont go out in the sun and my skin is focked.

Posted

red marks= damaged skin that needs to heal

Sun tan= more skin damage

Damaging your skin further will only cuase the marks to stay around longer because your body needs to deal with the extra sun damage.

Don't live like a hermit, but always wear a broad spectrum sunscreen.