Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
christa

Ortho-tricyclene, Yasmin, Alesse, or Dianette?

Which one of these birth control pills would you say works the most effectively for controlling acne and if any of you could tell me your experiences with it. I'm trying to decide which one will help me most. Thanx

according to my doctor, dianette is often most effective of the bc pills. However it often causes a lot of side-effects. I have a few friends who have been on it and they both had continous headaches and had to stop taking it. This doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you though.

I have been on ortho-tricycline for almost a year before but it did nothing for my skin. I will be starting Yasmin soon, my doctor seems to think that Yasmin usually works better.

HTH

Good luck!

Definitely not Alesse. It was basically the CAUSE of my acne problems, I hate that brand...sorta angry at it. I liked ortho tri cyclen but it didn't keep me consistently clear, maybe because it is a tri-phasic pill. Now I'm on Yasmin and love every day with it.

how long were u on ortho-tricyclen before it started to work for your acne? and how long for yasmine? and with yasmine, did u get a bad initial breakout for the first few months? and can u describe your experience with ortho, because i just started it about 2 weeks ago and im just wondering how well its goin to work. Im on that along with 100 mg of minocyclin, and 50 mg of spironolactone, which i think is what is in yasmine, so i guess i will just have to wait and see how things turn out. right now i have moderate/severe acne on my face, chest and back, and i am definately starting to see improvement...my oil level is way lower than it usually is, and my zits are starting to dry up and shrink....so im pretty excited! i will keep u guys posted with my progress if u want, to let u know how things are goin with ortho-tri cyclen....good luck to everyone else!

I was on Ortho tri cyclen for about 3 or 4 months before I noticed an improvement I guess. I stayed on it for a year and switched to yasmin in August. I'm on my 10th week with Yasmin and continue to notice improvements in my skin each week. I did have a bad initial breakout with Yasmin but it could also be because I had started differin and an antibiotic at the same time. After 6 weeks on the antibiotic, I quit and my skin seemed to get much better right away. I liked ortho tri, just not as much as Yasmin and I dont think my skin liked the changing of hormones (tri phasic as oppposed to monophasic). I have mild acne by the way and 20 years old.

I have been on Ortho tri it seems all my life. Except when I took a break and had my son....that is when all the trouble began for me!!!! sad.gif After my son was born, I went back on it, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect for me this time around...I am thinking of switching but I have to be VERY careful as I get migraine headaches and my PCP doesn't really want me on them at all. Too bad, I'd rather have the headaches than the zits!!!! I was planning on talking to my ob about a switch to yasmin in Jan. when I have to see her. To those who are on Yasmin...Does it cause headaches???

Hiya, i've been on diane for almost 3 months now and my skin has definetly improved, though its still not as good as i'd like it to be. i still get a zit here n there all the time, not as bad as it used 2 be. I was thinking of sticking to it for a few more months, just to give it time to work, but if i'm still getting a few pimples every now n then i might try somthing else. Yasmin sounds good, has anyone been on diane and swiched 2 yasmin before, that can tell me if its better. Is there anything even better than yasmin? Has anyone tried lollette

I went on Ortho-Tricyclen and I had some moderate success on it. This may not go for you though. Birth control is not a one size fits all medication. PersonA could go on Yasmin and have awful side affects while PersonB has no side effects and cleared up skin.

Any Birth control you try, give it 2 months. If you have unhappy side effects during that time switch to something else. Me personally, I swear by the NuvaRing

Definitley Ortho Tri Cyclen! It worked soooo good for me, the only problem is that I stopped taking it, and it took about 6 months, but my face got horrible, so now I am back on the pill, I have been for about a month, but I heard that it takes 3 months before it will start working.

I have tried Ortho Tri Cyclen, Yasmin & Dianette/Diane 35. I had the most success w/ Dianette. It decreased oiliness in skin and scalp, completely got rid of my acne, and I didn't notice any weight gain or other side effects fr. bcp. I was on it for about 9 mos. THe OTC did NOT work for me, it increased my oiliness, and worsened my acne. The Yasmin gave me the same poor results as the OTC, in addition to giving me pretty bad stomach cramps and nausea.

While I was happy w/ the results fr. using Dianette, I found that 3 mos after I stopped using it, my hair began to fall out. I started using Rogaine and that has helped a little, but the whole experience of losing my hair in my mid-twenties has been really frightening.

Keep in mind that each woman will react differently to these pills. So, please proceed w/ caution and seek the advice of a physician. I purchased Diane 35 fr. abroad since it isn't sold in the US. When I told my doctor about my hair loss fr. this particular pill, he couldn't offer me much help b/c, he had never heard of Diane 35! Best of luck to you!

I have tried Ortho Tri Cyclen, Yasmin & Dianette/Diane 35. I had the most success w/ Dianette. It decreased oiliness in skin and scalp, completely got rid of my acne, and I didn't notice any weight gain or other side effects fr. bcp. I was on it for about 9 mos. THe OTC did NOT work for me, it increased my oiliness, and worsened my acne. The Yasmin gave me the same poor results as the OTC, in addition to giving me pretty bad stomach cramps and nausea.

While I was happy w/ the results fr. using Dianette, I found that 3 mos after I stopped using it, my hair began to fall out. I started using Rogaine and that has helped a little, but the whole experience of losing my hair in my mid-twenties has been really frightening.

Keep in mind that each woman will react differently to these pills. So, please proceed w/ caution and seek the advice of a physician. I purchased Diane 35 fr. abroad since it isn't sold in the US. When I told my doctor about my hair loss fr. this particular pill, he couldn't offer me much help b/c, he had never heard of Diane 35! Best of luck to you!