Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
24m

2 Shaving Questions

Hi Everyone,

I suffer from moderate acne, and I usually find that the act of shaving irritates my skin considerably. As a result, since I am still in school and don't "need" to shave, I often put off shaving as long as I can and let my facial hair grow out...but now I suspect that having facial hair itself exacerbates my acne (partially because it is sometimes itchy and encourages my to scratch/touch my face, and partially because I think the hair itself makes it harder to wash the skin and for the CSR to do its job). So, I guess my 2 questions are i) what can I do when shaving to help reduce irritation that follows? and ii) ideally speaking, how frequently should I be shaving? everyday? every other day? once a week? Again, I have no pressing need to shave ever, except for the fact that I don't like having a beard.

Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to reply!

i) while shaving, use a non-pore blocking substance to act as a shaving cream (if you have a bar cleanser you can use the foam). also do it really lightly. i find this helps, even if i have to shave more often, it is better than less often and pressing hard. lastly, wash your face with a cleanser after you shave. i have also found that single foil electric razors are the most irritating. i now use a regular razor (gillete sensor ecel) and have had less irritation. some other people have said that the triple headed electric razors are less irritating than the manual

ii) thats really a personal preference kind of thing. there is actually sebum in the hair, so when it touches your face, it can block pores. basically you gotta experiment and find the max amount of time you can avoid shaving while still not breaking out

I've also noticed that I break out 75% of the time after a shave, so I delay it as much as possible, but the grown "hairs" seems to cause more acne.

i have a quick add on question with this:

My shaving really inflames my acne scars, its turns them bright red. I tried using the senser excel razor but it didnt shave very well and left my face feeling itchy. My gel says its won't clog pores so i dont think its the problem. Is there any way to get a close shave w/o this happening? Should I shave with the grain or against (I shave against since it provides a closer shave)? Even when I try shaving extra gently the redness remains and wont go down for hours (hence my use of make up). I havent really done anything to get rid of the scars, either.

Do NOT, do NOT shave against the grain. Ever. You are just adding/asking for more irritation. I shave with an electric sideburn trimmer, NOT an electric razor. Big difference. I find that to be the least irritating way to shave, and also the quickest. Look into getting one of those. Your shave will be close enough, you won't have irritation, and you'll save a shit load of time. In regards to how often to shave, it's really a personel preference. Every other day will normally suffice though.

aveeno use there sensitive or whatever shaving creams idont have a picture to show you but any of aveeno shaving gels use the gels are good

Hi Everyone,

I suffer from moderate acne, and I usually find that the act of shaving irritates my skin considerably. As a result, since I am still in school and don't "need" to shave, I often put off shaving as long as I can and let my facial hair grow out...but now I suspect that having facial hair itself exacerbates my acne (partially because it is sometimes itchy and encourages my to scratch/touch my face, and partially because I think the hair itself makes it harder to wash the skin and for the CSR to do its job). So, I guess my 2 questions are i) what can I do when shaving to help reduce irritation that follows? and ii) ideally speaking, how frequently should I be shaving? everyday? every other day? once a week? Again, I have no pressing need to shave ever, except for the fact that I don't like having a beard.

Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to reply!

i also have very sensitive skin and ive tried to shave with everything aveeno, cetaphil, even skintimate sensetive for women :shock: im 33 now after 18 years of suffering ive found my cure :dance: neosporin +pain relief cream cream cream not the ointment cream put it on the shaved area only right after shaving and you will have no irratation. please respond and let me know if it works for you.