Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WEll, i took accutane started in Feb 05, and finished august 05. im about 5'6 and 130lb, my dose started at 40 and then moved up to 60 i think? I didnt have really bad skin, but it was oily all the time and it was stubborn and resistant to any other treatments, and i had tried all the antibiotics and bazillion creams and stuff and nothing really worked for me. I had a lot of hormonal breakouts i think. So, after accutane my skin was perfect when i was done, and i never really had any bad side effects other than really dry lips, and twice my lips looked like they had been completely peeled and hurt so badly. i dont really know what that was from, because it happened pretty much over night both times and took a week to get back to the normal dryness.i havent had that weird peeled lip thing since ive been done thank goodness. Other things that I had during the dose was dry eyes, but that only lasted the first week or so I was on it, and then a few days when i upped the dosage. I might have had some hair thinning, but i couldnt really tell and it was probably me just being paranoid. I was more tired than usual, and my back would be kind of sore and it felt realllllly good to lay down haha. I was more depressed and i got really angry and had no patience, but im good at hiding these emotions so it wasnt a problem. I wasnt depressed to the point where i couldnt stand it, but i just never wanted to do anything and i always told myself it was just the accutane and that usually worked. Plus i drank a lot of green tea for extra energy. I also took B-vitamins and fish oil pills for energy/ help joint stress. I dont know if these really helped or if it was just my imagination. At night i had decreased visability while driving and in the dark, but it wasnt bad enough where I couldnt see well enough to avoid things so i was fine.

I guess thats about all the physical side effects, there could be more but if i dont remember them then it wasnt worth worrying about.

Now, dont give me any criticism for this next part because i know it was stupid but i did this stuff anyways, my choice and i just want to share my full experience so that it might give other people some info about experiences they might not get hear about.

I did a lot of bad things I shouldnt have, like crazy bingedrinking. I had just turned 21 in may of that time and at the end of august i was moving to the other side of the world so I decided to just do whatever I wanted because I wouldnt see my friends for so long. I dont know if the heavy drinking had any really bad effects, my bloodwork was always fine but I had some nasty nasty hangovers where i think i woul drather stare into a dead man's eyes than go through that again.

Also i took ecstasy once and didnt have a really good time, Ive taken it before a bunch when i was younger, i know its stupid im just giving information. The other times i had done it I was fine and had a good time and loved it, but the time i did it on accutane I felt irritated and really didnt want to be on it. So, if you are facing that decision I would go for dont take it, becuase it is dangerous especially on accutane and if u want to do it so badly then just wait until youre done with your dose.

One more thing is that i was out in the sun all the time, getting tan. I dont think i got any really bad burns, i used sunblock most of the time. But, I wish I hadnt done that and ignored my doctor because lately ive had a lot of freckles and small moles coming up, and i dont think i would have had so many if I had listened and stayed out of the sun. SO, i would recommend staying out of the sun even if youthink you'll be fine, because you dont want to have a bunch of freckles that you wouldnt have had otherwise. Its just one summer that you have to stay out of the sun so just do it or else you might have problems later, as I am finding out unfortunately.

After being done with the dose, my skin was really good for a few months, and then it started getting oily again. Probably not as much as before, and when i had good skin days i was pretty happy with it. My lips are still dry to this day, which sucks, and i use chapstick on them all the time. My face breaks out sometimes, and I feel like i still have no patience, especially when driving. But, i'd say my skin is better than it used to be, because during the time it was perfect gave old marks and redness a chance to heal so that now it looks good. For breakouts now, usually i usually just use clindagel which works pretty good.

So in conclusion, im glad that I took accutane and feel that my skin is in better condition than before, and probably if i hadnt been so careless it would be even better than it is now. The only lasting side effect is the damn dry lips, which isnt unbearable as long as i use chapstick every few hours. I hope this was helpful to some people! And if you have any questions please ask!

stop using chapstick... using it for over a year is teaching your body to become dependant on it for moisture.

Take the pain of chapped lips until your body can handle it on its own.

Also, kristen is right about the need to drink plenty of water to help out the process.

stop using chapstick... using it for over a year is teaching your body to become dependant on it for moisture.

Take the pain of chapped lips until your body can handle it on its own.

Also, kristen is right about the need to drink plenty of water to help out the process.

Or use chapstick every second and later every third and so on till your free from it

did u have a lot of redness when your were done an dof so how long did they take to fade/heal