Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
preston

Benzoyl Peroxide as a scar treatment?

I read a small panthlet at the dermatology department when going for an accutane check-up. It's called something like 'The small book of acne facts'. It commented on benzoyl peroxide having a slight peeling action.

Could benzoyl peroxide be used like an acid peel as a scar treatment. Obviously I know that there will not be major results but there may be some improvement?

Anthony

Actually it's funny you started this thread. I have been meaning to discuss BP for a while, but keep forgetting. I had acne in my teens (I'm in my early 20s now) and used Accutane. Now I have scarring, and occasional zits that are NOT noticeable. Even though these zits are infrequent and small, some leave dark marks (I have Asian skin, Type 5). I've used BP since I stopped Accutane, and it peels the dark marks right off after a week or so (some marks take longer). AND these marks do NOT leave indented scars. I know most people here are not huge fans of BP, but it has ALWAYS removed my dark marks. As for my old indented scars, it hasn't helped them at all.

Definitely not a scar removing solution since I've tried that.

I know it isn't used for removing scars but because of this small panthley stating that it has a slight peeling effect, I thought that it may remove, or at least improve, small scars that arent very deep.

Actually it's funny you started this thread. I have been meaning to discuss BP for a while, but keep forgetting. I had acne in my teens (I'm in my early 20s now) and used Accutane. Now I have scarring, and occasional zits that are NOT noticeable. Even though these zits are infrequent and small, some leave dark marks (I have Asian skin, Type 5). I've used BP since I stopped Accutane, and it peels the dark marks right off after a week or so (some marks take longer). AND these marks do NOT leave indented scars. I know most people here are not huge fans of BP, but it has ALWAYS removed my dark marks. As for my old indented scars, it hasn't helped them at all.

I think this must be simply due to the bleaching effect of the benzoyl peroxide. Is it permanent or do the dark patches re-appear?

Definately not a good thing and can lead to scarring. It severely dries the skin which is a negative for sure. In this drying the acne is unable to heal right and could scar. Also the body makes up for severe drying by adding oil to the skin. So now u will have flaky skin that looks like shit AND is still oily and breaking out. Also all that flaky skin will clog pores and cause yet further breakouts. Sounds like drying the skin out is a good thing, but it is not to be sure.

My derm yelled at me once for using proactive stating that BP is no good for anyone with acne, just that the people who use it and report results have very minimal acne and dont even notice if it works or not. BP also counteracts retin a so that it wont work as well for u.

If u use over the counter products use salicylic acid medications as those are essentually retin a in low strength.