Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3Decades

Need advice restarting a BP regimen

I have a fairly long history battling acne, and was fairly successful (post-accutane) until about 2 months ago, when I ran out of BP. My skin was clear at the time, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal waiting a month to get more BP from my supplier.

I had a very simple regimen which I did twice a day for the last 14 years: 1) Wash with bar soap using an exfoliating cloth at night. 2) Apply Sea Breeze 2% Salicylic Acid Toner 3) Apply 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. For the one month that I had no BP I was just using the Sea Breeze Toner twice a day. I restarted the full regimen (with BP) 5 weeks ago ramping up the dose gradually. My skin can handle the 10% without drying so I don't use a moisturizer (although the fingers that I apply it with can't!).

In the past 2 weeks, I stopped getting small whiteheads, and instead I'm getting 2-4 large cysts per week, concentrated around my nose, moustache area, and chin. Is this normal 5 weeks after restarting the Benzoyl Peroxide? Should I readjust my regimen? As of yesterday, I've made one change using Hibiclens instead of the bar soap for the cleanser.

The cysts kind of worry me, since I haven't seen them on my face since I became resistant to Tetracycline and started taking Accutane over 15 years ago. I previously didn't get much acne within the facial triangle either. I'm male, so I don't think its a hormone thing.

Any advice?

hm.. Well I think when using the bp again, your acne may get worse for a bit. I'm not sure if it would only be that since I didn't try the cleanser you're using which is why I'm not sure if that's causing some problems. I think some of the acne is around the area where you would shave but make sure your shaving cream doesn't clog pores though since that might be part of the reason as well.