Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

PrOtein....

Okay so im a little confused on protein... how great is it for your skin? How much of it should be consumed daily? I know to stay away from the red meats and fatty kinds, im talking more like chicken, eggs, and fish.

Also Dr. Perricone says to consume protein first always.. and this food combining book im reading says to eat in the order of fruits>veggies>grains/nuts>and protein last... Why? and which is right?

If you can answer even one question that would be great! ;)

Oh! One more thing... they say not to eat fruits with other foods because fruits digest so quickly (under 1 hour) that bacteria will start to ferment it while its waiting for the protein/fat to digest (2-3 hours).. BUT why does it have to wait for the protein/fat? Can't it travel to the small intestines by itself? Or does it get mixed in together into a huge protein/fat/fruit blob??? Geeeesh! :lol:

p.s) Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot asking this stuff, im a curious girl :angel: , and i have no shame!

Proteins are essential components of all living organisms and are involved in every process within a living cell, so I'm going to assume that they're vital for healing skin.

As far as food order goes, I eat according to the system of metabolic typing as espoused by Dr. Mercola. Because I am a protein type (and an extremely fast oxidizer to boot), I eat what are considered my body's most important foods first: meats. I see no problem with red meats and fatty meats; often these are stacked with nutrients (namely purine, a type of protein) not found in white meats and eggs (although I do eat three raw eggs everyday, straight out of a glass Rocky style). I follow up with some kind of low-carb vegetable, like spinach or celery, and end my meal with either a banana, an apple, or some raw milk (unlike pasteurized milk, raw milk doesn't break me out).

agree with Tristam even on Book Gorgeous Skin In 30 Days

By Erica Angyal for mainly womans.. It is recommend womans take weekly 4-5 time whey protein...

Okay so im a little confused on protein... how great is it for your skin? How much of it should be consumed daily? I know to stay away from the red meats and fatty kinds, im talking more like chicken, eggs, and fish.

Also Dr. Perricone says to consume protein first always.. and this food combining book im reading says to eat in the order of fruits>veggies>grains/nuts>and protein last... Why? and which is right?

If you can answer even one question that would be great! ;)

Oh! One more thing... they say not to eat fruits with other foods because fruits digest so quickly (under 1 hour) that bacteria will start to ferment it while its waiting for the protein/fat to digest (2-3 hours).. BUT why does it have to wait for the protein/fat? Can't it travel to the small intestines by itself? Or does it get mixed in together into a huge protein/fat/fruit blob??? Geeeesh! :lol:

p.s) Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot asking this stuff, im a curious girl :angel: , and i have no shame!

Food combining is a well intended but outdated theory

The rationaly is that ptyalin by preparing the digestive juices for carbs will prevent the right juices for protein from being synthesized and the food will rotten in the stomach

It's a theory that imagines foods as being digested in specific containers while we just have one stomach so if the stomach is being creating a good environment for carbs foods it can't be digest protein and viceversa

Better anatomic and physiology understanding showed that indeed the stomach secretes all the digestive juices necessary to digest whatever edible food in whatever amount of combination

This makes sense if we realize that there aren't such thing as protein foods since all foods contain protein and nothing that is edible is devoid of protein

It is true that food combining has helped people with their digestive distress but it was due to food combining rules automatically making the diet healthier and increasing awareness in eating promoting chewing and slow eating. If food combining helps you to eat better food and to eat and chew more slowly and consciously go for it, but it is not required for digestive juices adaptation

Protein need is based on nitrogen balance, if you're on a negative nitrogen balance it means you're losing more protein than your're providing your body with if you're in a positive nitrogen balance it means you're providing your body more protein than it is loosing and consuming more proteins will just provide no further benefits.

Proteins are consistent in all the diets and there's a general consensus that carbohydrates or fats should be the major source of calories while protein should always be moderated and just be consumed for the necessary amount of building materials and not as source of energy

0.80 grams of protein per Kg of body weight is on average adequated to many, in other words the majority of the population is on an absolute positive nitrogen balance consuming this amount

This amount is often rounded to 1 gram per Kg of body weight

It was thought that athletes don't need more protein than sedentary people because only a small 6 grams more of protein daily is required to build the maximum amount of muscle that can be developed in a week

But further researchers showed that the increased activity increases protein turnover so that more protein are lost and need to be integrated

In several studies it has been showed that athletes to remain in a positive nitrogen balance need 1.6 to 1.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight

[PMID: 11023001]

or that they need 1.6 to 1.7 g protein x kg(-1) x day(-1) for strength training atheletes and about 1.2 to 1.6 g x kg(-1) x day(-1) for endurance traninig athletes

[PMID: 9841962]

It has also been showed that beginners need more protein than non-beginners who had many months to adapt to a constant and periodical physical activity

[PMID: 1474076]

We're though talking about athletes who train at an high intensity and almost every day a week and its wrong to extrapolate these figures for the boy who just hit the gym twice a week or the otherwise sedentary individual who ride his bike to work

1 to 2 grams per kg (considering the intensity of physical activity or sedentarity) is a figure that is adequate for everyone

Babies and older kids would need 1.2 grams per pound of body weight up to 11-12 years when the amount needed will be identical to adults of all ages

It is always advisable to consume to substitute fat rather than protein for carbohydrates and the "ideal" low carb diet is high fat and NOT high protein

If you're interested in the Metabolic Diet theory I suggest you to read this self-test book for the metabolic type

Metabolic Type

It takes several hours to complete which clearly shows how unadequate and unscientific are the tipical metabolic type test you found online

This self-test has been written by Dr. Kelley

You must know that Dr. Kelley is the first researchers and creator of the metabolic type theory and it doesn't call for indiscriminate amount of protein or carbs according to how much addicted you're to these good

Dr. Kelley writings and scientific explanations (he was able to reserve cancer cells formation using his theories on metabolic effects of food) are the only one I trust and everyone should trust before people like Mercola removed all the science in them and turned them into pseudoscientific broad agenda-driven theories