Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stillhoping

IPL Photorejuvenation...anyone heard of this for acne????

well i just got back from having something called IPL Photorejuvenation done. Even though on all the broshures it says it's for sun damage, but i guess it's for acne too. They apply a numbing creme on your face and then the doctor holds this glass thing connected to a computer that shoots flashes of light at your face. Anyway right now i'm red, dry, and the blemishes stand out a lot more but that's about it. He said the first week to expect redness, peeling, etc, but that in a few weeks I should start noticing good results. I have another one scheduled in about a month. I really hope this works. anyone had anything similar done? The doc says this kills acne bacteria, tightens your pores, and shrinks your oil glands...

I thought i would post this here because there are a lot of topics on lasers, etc...

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

My derm offers this too I think. But I went for Smoothbeam instead (cause everybody has done it).

stillhoping,

I had one IPL treatment @ $375.00 each. The doc that did it was pushing anti-aging techniques but said that it would be wonderful for acne scarring. I didn't notice any difference at all. Then one of the office staff pointed out 2 other staffers that had gone through 10 treatments each for acne and scarring. They STILL had acne going on and their scarring seemed pretty severe even after the treatments. So, I did some research on my own and found out that Smoothbeam is far superior for acne and scarring than IPL. What I read is that IPL is a light-pulse treatment, whereas Smoothbeam is a laser treatment. I went to the IPL website and they say nothing about acne or scarring--so needless to say, I was really pissed that he misrepresented his treatments. Since then, I have been getting Smoothbeam treatments; they are much cheaper and much more effective.

mine cost 250 each...and i think it's the only one my derm does..but he seemed pretty optimistic about it and said i should notice results in a few weeks. right now my face is not looking good. It stings, has red blotches and the blemishes are all 10 times more red and big. I'm not doing this for scarring..i don't really have much of that, knock on wood. I'm doing this as an acne treatment. The derm said it's supposed to kill bacteria and shrink the oil glands. Do you guys think it would work??

I had 6 IPL treatments. Each with 3 kinds of wavelengths, one for photorejuvenation, one for acne and one for redness (well this redness one was only does every other time cos your meant to wait 14 days between and I had an IPL each week).

This course of treatment did absolutely nothing for me.

Luckily it was part of a trial (not part of trial for laser but a clinic was trying out the IPL laser to see whether to buy it or not), so it was free. They didn't buy it. No one really had any results to speak of, they had around 50 people on the trial.

I'm doing it now! I did one session of smoothbeam, but it left dark circles which can still be seen a little even 3 months later. Now I've had 2 sessions of IPL ( for brown marks) and I don't notice much difference either. But my doctor does the same area again and again so it does make me feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I do feel like my face looks less haggard but that could just be my imagination. It's cheap here in Singapore... about $100USD. Less than 1/2 the cost of smoothbeam which is the main reason why I chose it

Guest Cubsfan

from reading internet posts and my sisters experience i conclude that the ipl laser is a mediocre laser. my sister was treated with it for pigmentation and it did absolutely nothing.

go with smoothbeam for acne as its fda approved as an acne treatment

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

So It might do something to the red marks (NOT caused by acne but by broken blood vessels)

:-k