Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JPosey30311

Oral Antibiotics?

A friend of mine took minocycline(he is embarssed aobut it e doesnt even know that i know) and it has worked for him very well. I wish i has some.

Cephalexin hands down has worked the best for me. I used doxycycline which was ok, but way to harsh on my stomach. and amoxicillin (sp) didn't really help my skin at all.

I had better results with minocycline then with doxycycline, but both had their downsides because you couldnt have any minerals 2 hours before or after taking them... and since everything is fortified i couldnt eat much lol... I like erythromycin since what you ate didnt make a difference and supposedly it helps with irritation too somehow? Lastly i took amoxicillin which worked well too, but its for any bacteria rather then mostly acne

minocycline for me!

same.

EXCEPT when you become immune to the pill, expect the worst. i know i shuld've

Which oral antibiotic, in youre opinion, is the BEST thing to clear up. and dont say accutane. thankss

im on minocycline! It cleared me up nicely but im having my initial breakout right now!! :cry:

I just wanted to post in the same forum as Michael Jackson....

Just kidding. Minocycline is mainstream among most derms now. I used to see 3 or 4 times the scripts for MCN as compared to any other med out there, except maybe BP - which is almost always part of any usual slew of orals and topicals.

Guest Sincerely_Me

I think it depends on what kind fo acne you have.

I have mild acne, and I got put on Doxy (in combo with a differin topical cream) and let me tell you, my skin looks better than it ever has, and in a few weeks, got me clearer than the CSR ever did.

The Tetracycline group as a whole is made to just eat bacteria. Once you get off the pill you become vulnerable again. Make SURE you keep your face clean as possible and exfoliate regulary or the bacteria will come back and so will the acne. :|. My doctor gave me 6 months worth of perscription of Doxycycline, Yea like im crazy enuff to be on an antibiotic that long. I just cycle it every 2-3 months. Doctors these days. I will probably become immune to it eventually. But keeping it cycled should help the prolong use of it.

Sulfur antibiotics like Bactrim or Septra can be the most effective in treating acne, but there's considerable risk when taking them, so they're pretty much used as a last resort. Among the tricyclines (most commonly prescribed) Minocycline is the most effective, but is also the most expensive. Doxycycline is similiar to mino, but the side-effects are more numerous (such as sensitivity to sunlight). From what I've heard, tetracycline is crap that's prescribed if you're poor. It's inexpensive, and you get what you pay for.

After trying both minocycline and doxycycline with no results, my derm put me on Bactrim, which seems to be helping a lot - and with no side effects. I think Bactrim/Septra is just prescribed less, because there is a higher incidence of allergic reactions to this drug. But if you're not allergic, it can be great!

i use doxycycline and have for 11 months and love what it's done for me...but that said, i've never used any other type of antibiotics so i don't know whether they would have improved or worsened my acne

I've tried most of the oral antibiotics, apart from minocycline, and I can't really say I noticed any difference on any of them. In 2001/02 I upped my doxy dosage from 100mg per day to 200mg per day along with Benzamycin Gel and I did get 100% clear on that, but resistance does build up unfortunately.

Well i'm on Doxycycline 100mg 2X's a day..but i take 3 a day instead..find it to work MUCH better...( if i die, oh well)

I took ethyromycin and found it to not be any major role player...

I was also put onto Amoxicillian..like another person said..i got it prescribed to me because of strep throut...but i did notice it seemed to make my face clear...i was taking both Doxy and Amox at the same time...

i took 1.5g of Amox and 300mg of Doxy in a day and my face was pretty damn good lookin.

I'm currently using Benzaclin, but waiting till tomorrow because i gotta get an extra $50 together to get a new bottle of it.

I've been taking Doxy for three months. After two months, I switched to taking only one pill in the evening because it was too difficult for me to find that several hour window in the mornings/afternoons not to eat. I noticed no difference. I'm also using the clindamyacin wipes once daily and Differin gel once daily. I had cyctic acne. Now I only get tiny little whiteheads, and I keep getting fewer and fewer of them. I'm down to 1 pimple a week these days (though my menstrual cycle has caused a "break-out" and I've currently got three pimples). It's been a godsend.

Which oral antibiotic, in youre opinion, is the BEST thing to clear up. and dont say accutane. thankss

I took doxycycline for 3 years and it worked perfectly for me as long as I took 2 100mg capsules per day. It was cheap, too.

However, I think, but am not sure, that I was having lower stomach problems. It went away after I stopped but then I also started drinking a lot less so it could have been that. Also, I could not be in the sun or wind for any length of time. So in the long run I decided on something more permenant, accutane.

I found the doxy only worked while I was on it at full strength.

Good luck,

Platinum

Lymecycline probably the best :) though a short term dose of Cefalexin worked wonders for me :) but long term lymecycline is working for me

Cephalexin hands down has worked the best for me. I used doxycycline which was ok, but way to harsh on my stomach. and amoxicillin (sp) didn't really help my skin at all.

How long did you take Cephalexin? I was on it for a month and it showed results slowly, but then my derm put me on a rando oral that sucked. Im thinking about goin back...

thanks