Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doobyandme

Paula's Choice 1% bha

Anyone using the 1% bha - was it any good or did you need to crank it upto 2%?? I have been using for 4 days, twice daily. I'm trying to be good and scientific about it :doubt: in that it's only been 4 days but I'm not seeing ANY results (yet :pray: ) so just wondering if anyone had.

I dont know about Paula's specifica medication but SA takes time to work, all SA does it clean out the pores and remove trapped dirt and oils ...

I'm using the 2% BHA liquid and also experimenting LOL. I have been using it with CSR only on left side of my face. The right side I just use the regular CSR.

After 2 weeks, I thought I noticed a difference. After three weeks, the difference is dramatic. It has totally attacked clogged pores. They either go away or become very easy to extract without inflaming them.

It TOTALLY cleared my chest, where I only had clogged pores....I am really amazed and happy with the product. I would advise using it with BP to combat any inital breakout.

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I have just been using 1% stuff for 2 weeks. It's been ok. Nothing major happening but a bit of purging and the same as you some of the blackheads more easily extractable. I have some heavy duty b/hs on my nose so I have ordered some 2% lotion but I may also buy some BP as you've suggested as that sounds like a good idea in controlling the breakout.

I hopeful for the same as you :pray:

I used the 2% liquid and had good results in just a few days: it exfoliated well and reduced clogged pores...but I stopped using it because my skin was peeling a lot. I also tried the 1% gel but that didn't do anything.

I've just received my 2% stuff. I bought gel and liquid cos I didn't know which I'd like best. I tried the gel last night and it stinks!! Not the stuff (I hope!) but the smell - yuk!! Tried the liquid this morning and that's not so bad - smells just a little more pungent than the 1% stuff. The 1% stuff seemed to be stopping new blackheads forming and clearing/purging some of the newer b/hs but not doing much for the b/hs that have been around for years and a bit more hardcore!! Hence buying the 2% stuff. I haven't experienced any peeling with 1% and whilst I don't mind too much peeling I hope the 2% stuff doesn't make me peel like mad. I had to stop the mandelic for that reason.

I have to say overall I am reasonably happy. (Touch wood!) My major purge seems to be over and I am only getting 1 or 2 small pustles a day. My red marks are not quite so vivid. I'm not sure whether that's due to the bha or the fact that this skincare rountine is a lot more gentler than any other skincare rountine I've done of late. Anyway so far so good!!

I'm glad someone else was going to try this! I found a 1% BHA liquid at my pharmacy but might order Paula's. can someone tell me, if you're using her BHA solution (either 1% or 2%) if it stings or burns when you put it on?

Thanks!

Thanks libbycopeland - I will do that...I've been on the 1% stuff for about 2 weeks without any problems and have just gone onto 2% but keeping an eye out for irritation as you said.

Foomph - I have been using Paula's 1% stuff for 2 weeks. It does smart a little when you put it on for about 5 minutes. And now that I'm on the Paula's 2% stuff again it smarts a bit more but it's nothing like the stinging/burning sensation I have had with other stuff I have put on my face like the mandelic acid (ouch for 30 minutes or more) or glycolic acid (ouch for several hours!) It's a weird kind of stinging too. It's not all over like with other topicals it kind of stings once or twice in one place then stings once or twice in other place. Times that kind of sensation by 3 or 4 times then you get the idea.

The only really off putting thing is the smell of it!! It reeks!! I'm thinking of mixing it with something to make it smell better.

Hope that helps??!

Is this stuff good for whiteheads (you mentioned clogged pores)? I'm worried about the purging phase!! I'm using Diacneal right now and sorta breaking out....

Is this stuff good for whiteheads (you mentioned clogged pores)? I'm worried about the purging phase!! I'm using Diacneal right now and sorta breaking out....

I don't have whiteheads so I can't comment from experience but I've checked out the website where I bought the stuff and this is what it says:

Effectively exfoliate the skin and remarkably diminish blackheads and blemishes with this elegant, lightly moisturizing formula with 2% salicylic acid (BHA). Also contains an exceptional blend of plant oils, antioxidants, anti-irritants, and water-binding agents.

Lightweight lotion formula provides hydration and keeps skin silky-soft

Exfoliates the skin's surface and inside the pore lining where clogged pores occur

pH of 3.4 is optimal for effective exfoliation

100% fragrance and colorant-free

It doesn't specifically say whiteheads however BHAs are generally considered better for clogged pores as they clean out the insides of the pores and exfoliate the skin as well. The downsides are: the smell!! and also it does take a while to see improvement. I am now only just seeing improvement and I started the beginning of Sept!! Having said that though this is the clearest skin I've had in about 5 years so I'm not complaining too much!!

Hope that helps??

Whoops - forgot to mention about the purging. Yep it does happen and yes it's a pain. Again I can't comment on whiteheads but the blackheads I've had, some have purged, some have just kind of dissolved away (the only way I can describe it!! Gone from being black in colour to grey to browny then gone!) Some with the hard sebum plugs which have never ever budged, the tops of these plugs have softened enough to allow them to be manually extracted and then I have others, the diehards, that are still hanging on in there!! I'm confident that in time that the BHA'll get em!!

The purge is something unpleasant but I think from what I've read on this site that most treatments/cures have some purging thing going on and it's a phase you have to go through. My own purge lasted about 2-3 weeks and I am now at the point where the purge rate has slowed to a pustle every couple of days rather than 3 or 4 pustles a day.

Again - hope that helps!

The purging was not bad for me at all! I was surprised. Don't let that put you off, b/c it really is an excellent treatment.

Hear hear, sorry if I was sounding negative about it. I was thinking of the worst case scenario. It is definitely the best treatment i've had in 20 years of having blackheads. I only wish I'd had it years ago then my skin wouldn't be so scarred and ice picked damaged. :rolleyes: Never mind at least I've stopped the rot now!! Just need an anti wrinkle miracle now. :D

I am having trouble with mandelic acid now that winter is setting in .... my skin has started peeling like crazy. I'm thinking about trying out the Paula's Choice 2% BHAs for awhile.

Dooby .... I assume you didn't have the same peeling issues with this product that you did with mandelic?

I am having trouble with mandelic acid now that winter is setting in .... my skin has started peeling like crazy. I'm thinking about trying out the Paula's Choice 2% BHAs for awhile.

Dooby .... I assume you didn't have the same peeling issues with this product that you did with mandelic?

No, I've found it a lot easier. The mandelic seemed to peel off skin in big dry flakes then get irritated, sore, breakout etc. whereas the PC stuff I have a softer peeling - it's difficult to describe it. In the mornings it looks like I have tiny cobwebbing or the white bits in an orange on my face and when I go to remove it by hand, it's soft peels of skin not hard flakes. It was weird at first when it first started happening but I've gotten used to it now. It's generally concentrated on my chin and a little on my cheeks and forehead but not so much on my nose where the diehards blackheads live! In total I would say that I have about 5 or 6 of these little rolls of skin on my face daily. Then I wash, apply more bha then moisturise (with spf 15) and no soreness, dryness or anything like that. I don't have any peeling in the evenings (I apply a lot of 2% twice a day - 1% didn't do much for me) I don't apply moisturer in the evenings generally unless I feel a little dry which has been happening a little more often now that the weather is getting colder in the UK.

I'm very happy with it and very glad you recommended me try this when I had problems with mandelic so thanks for that!!

Hope that helps!?

Does anyone have experience with 8% BHA? Is it really too strong?

I've not heard about this - what is it, where do you get it?? Excuse my ignorance :confused:

It's actually 8% AHA from Paula's Choice:

8% AHA

Oh it's an AHA - you said BHA in your original post. I was hoping for a stronger BHA for my nose. My skin doesn't like AHAs unfortunately :( But I'm not going to whinge I'm happy that I can look in the mirror and not flinch too much! :lol:

I ordered samples today: Paula's Choice 1% and 2% BHA lotions and gels.

Dooby, which are you using: the lotion, the gel, or the liquid?

The mandelic seemed to peel off skin in big dry flakes then get irritated, sore, breakout etc.

I ordered samples today: Paula's Choice 1% and 2% BHA lotions and gels.

Dooby, which are you using: the lotion, the gel, or the liquid?

I didn't know which I would like and there were mixed reviews on the forum so I bought both 2% gel and 2% lotion. I didn't fancy the liquid - too messy!! I use the gel at night as it makes my face very shiny - not good for facing the world with!! I use the lotion in the mornings - still a bit shiny but not as bad. I tend to slather it on at nights and a medium amount in the mornings. I am going to use up the gel because although there's nothing wrong with it, it does the job, in future I will just re-order the lotion - it's just my personal preference

The mandelic seemed to peel off skin in big dry flakes then get irritated, sore, breakout etc.

That's exactly what's happening on both sides of my chin right now. And I last used the mandelic 4 days ago. :(

I hate winter skin.

That's such a shame because I know you were very happy with the mandelic. I got the same as you're describing and I got to the point that I was using the mandelic so sporadically like every 3 days or so that it wasn't having any impact on the clogged pores just making me very sore.

It looks like you've got the summer regime sorted but need to find a winter regime now. Sod's law isn't it?? Just when you think you have it licked..... :( I'm hoping that I keep getting good results through the winter. It's still pretty mild here for the time of year so I'm worried that it will go horribly wrong when it gets really cold. Oh well.... fingers crossed :pray:

Let us know how you get on.... hoping you don't get a bad reaction like you have done before (you mentioned it in the mandelic thread) Good luck!!