Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Been taking EPO!

I was reading up on omega 6 and I found sites that said it was bad for acne... so how come people on here are taking it having results? I've been taking it for a while, havent really noticed a difference, but I think I'm going to stop, and take a tbsp of flaxseed oil a day instead (omega 3).

I was reading up on omega 6 and I found sites that said it was bad for acne... so how come people on here are taking it having results? I've been taking it for a while, havent really noticed a difference, but I think I'm going to stop, and take a tbsp of flaxseed oil a day instead (omega 3).

You can take both. Just keep them in about an equal balance (like a ratio of 2:1 or 1:1 of omega-3 to 6).

I've been on this crazy green tea/salmon kick. There are a lot of studies that offer contradicting results. Salmon's good for acne because of essential fatty acids. Salmon's bad for acne because of iodine. What are these scientist trying to do to us? A person could go crazy trying to figure this out.

I've been on this crazy green tea/salmon kick. There are a lot of studies that offer contradicting results. Salmon's good for acne because of essential fatty acids. Salmon's bad for acne because of iodine. What are these scientist trying to do to us? A person could go crazy trying to figure this out.

yep i already have gone crazy!!!!!!!

try to keep it simple or you will lose your mind

heres my advice: no wheat, corn, low sugar (30gms a day),no dairy

eat lots of vegetables, potatoes, rice, beans, and any meat you want.

and buy an acnelamp with red/blue leds not flourescent bulbs. its clearing my acne and there is a money back guarantee.

and buy an acnelamp with red/blue leds not flourescent bulbs. its clearing my acne and there is a money back guarantee.

WTHF??? why is CORN BAD?? I EAT IT ALL THE TIME!!! It doesnt have gluten in it... GEEEZZZZ I AM GOIG CRAZY!!! Really how are we suuposed to know?

WTHF??? why is CORN BAD?? I EAT IT ALL THE TIME!!! It doesnt have gluten in it... GEEEZZZZ I AM GOIG CRAZY!!! Really how are we suuposed to know?

Trial and error. Gage how your body/skin reacts. If you eat corn all the time and it causes no problems then keep eating it.

its called trial and error. People react to different foods.

No human is the same.

Some people penuts are healty for others it can kill them.

No man made sugars, no Fried foods, and lots of fiber should be the base of your diet. The rest is up to you.

T-dot, you really need to calm down. All this stress will break you out.

If a certain whole, natural food is bad, the main reason is usually because of allergy / sensitivity / intolerance. This goes for things like wheat, nuts, etc. So yeah, trial and error. If corn hasn't been breaking you out, keep eating it! I love corn myself haha.

Guest ThereIsHope

I suppose corn-wise that includes tortilla chips??? MAN I LOVE THOSE!!! I don't care if they give me acne.....i'm a true texan who is addicted to tex-mex chips and hot sauce!!

Rubbersheep, yes I get really stressed out just thinking about my skin... it makes me crazy and i need to stop. I Get overwhelmed with all this stuff that is supposed to help me... GAH!!! Thereishope, i LOVE corn and tortilla chips as well!!! YUM!

Omega 6

Pro-inflammatory

Also studies have proven long term supplementation to increase risk of cancer

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), Arachidonic acid (AA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Both GLA and AA are Omega 6 fatty acids, which are proinflammatory. Omega 3 fatty acids are mostly anti-inflammatory, can only be found in any significant quantities in oily fish or fish oil.

I am a body builder and a hot new drug consisting only of 500 mg AA "Omega 6" is the new hit. I hear all the time that kids are breaking out, and even adults in the 40's! Look it up for yourself.. "X-Factor" I had to stop the drug myself. I was not suprised when i saw this thread!

Omega 6 is bad for acne

I'd been taking Evening Primrose Oil lately for hormone balance, but I guess it might help to go for Flax Seed oil again.

The last time I took Flax Seed oil it really helped my acne. Is that therefore because it contains Omega 3 instead?

*Leon* =D

Okay now im confused.. I just read all this excellent stuff on Evening Primrose Oil being able to help acne/balance hormones, ect. and now this thread is saying its bad for acne :( So confused :wacko:

Okay now im confused.. I just read all this excellent stuff on Evening Primrose Oil being able to help acne/balance hormones, ect. and now this thread is saying its bad for acne :( So confused :wacko:

It's not that it's bad, but it contains Omega-6 fatty acids that can cause inflammation if you aren't taking enough Omega-3's to balance it out.

If you want to be safe, find out how much Omega-6 is in the dosage you are taking and take the same amount (or more) of omega-3's from fish or flaxseed.

GLA in omega 6 is very, very beneficial.

Anyway, if you are a guy, you might as well give your money to charity if you think taking plant based omega 3 sources will do you any good. Males convert the fatty acid into EPA and DHA at a rate of about 3%. You are far better off going with a good quality fish oil, krill oil, or something that already has it converted.

Omega 6

Pro-inflammatory

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), Arachidonic acid (AA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Both GLA and AA are Omega 6 fatty acids, which are proinflammatory. Omega 3 fatty acids are mostly anti-inflammatory, can only be found in any significant quantities in oily fish or fish oil.

I am a body builder and a hot new drug consisting only of 500 mg AA "Omega 6" is the new hit. I hear all the time that kids are breaking out, and even adults in the 40's! Look it up for yourself.. "X-Factor" I had to stop the drug myself. I was not suprised when i saw this thread!

Omega 6 is bad for acne

I'm interested to know your source on the statement that long term supplementation of omega 6 can cause cancer. And it would largely depend on which type of omega 6 as well.

There are three types of omega 6 and EPA isnt one of them- that is an omega 3. AA is proinflammatory. GLA is anti-inflammatory. LA (Linoleic Acid, the third type omega 6 and most prevalent) can transform into either GLA and AA depending on certain factors.

Evening Primrose Oil consists of LA and GLA and no AA. As it contains LA there is the potential that this LA will convert into AA and cause inflammation. However the benefits of the small amount of GLA in EPO far outweighs the negative effects of LA to AA. Note: The LA can convert into GLA as well.

Omega 3 fatty acids can be found in many seeds and nuts, such as flaxseed and walnuts, so they are not restricted to just fish oils and oily fish.

This hot new drug with only AA sounds like a death trap. AA increases androgens- which are male hormones (testosterone is an androgen). This is why it might be a 'hot' bodybuilding 'drug'.

GLA on the other hand either reduces androgens, or counters the inflammatory effects of high levels of androgens (such as the excessive oil it can cause which precipitates acne.) This is why GLA is such a quality supplement to take if you suffer from acne. Obviously omega 3 needs to be supplemented too, in the long term at least, to avoid an imbalance of the omega's.

EPO (or the other GLA oils) are definitely beneficial for acne, but there is a lot more to it than just taking EPO to cure acne. Basically it can be a double-edged sword, and a fine balance is needed to pull it off successfully. Work at it though and the rewards are no more acne with a relatively easy and cheap supplementation regimen.

Check my free website for information on how to do this:

http://acne-wars.blogspot.com

Hi someoneintheuk,

what are the other sources of GLA, other than EPO? Is it possible to find a supplement with just GLA? Also, do you know what type of omega 6 is found in eggs? What about in sesame oil? And finally, is AA only pro-inflamatory when there is an imbalance in your system of omega 3 and omega 6? Or is it always pro-inflammatory?

Omega 6

Pro-inflammatory

Omega 6 is bad for acne

I'm interested to know your source on the statement that long term supplementation of omega 6 can cause cancer. And it would largely depend on which type of omega 6 as well.

There are three types of omega 6 and EPA isnt one of them- that is an omega 3. AA is proinflammatory. GLA is anti-inflammatory. LA (Linoleic Acid, the third type omega 6 and most prevalent) can transform into either GLA and AA depending on certain factors.

Evening Primrose Oil consists of LA and GLA and no AA. As it contains LA there is the potential that this LA will convert into AA and cause inflammation. However the benefits of the small amount of GLA in EPO far outweighs the negative effects of LA to AA. Note: The LA can convert into GLA as well.

Omega 3 fatty acids can be found in many seeds and nuts, such as flaxseed and walnuts, so they are not restricted to just fish oils and oily fish.

This hot new drug with only AA sounds like a death trap. AA increases androgens- which are male hormones (testosterone is an androgen). This is why it might be a 'hot' bodybuilding 'drug'.

GLA on the other hand either reduces androgens, or counters the inflammatory effects of high levels of androgens (such as the excessive oil it can cause which precipitates acne.) This is why GLA is such a quality supplement to take if you suffer from acne. Obviously omega 3 needs to be supplemented too, in the long term at least, to avoid an imbalance of the omega's.

EPO (or the other GLA oils) are definitely beneficial for acne, but there is a lot more to it than just taking EPO to cure acne. Basically it can be a double-edged sword, and a fine balance is needed to pull it off successfully. Work at it though and the rewards are no more acne with a relatively easy and cheap supplementation regimen.

Check my free website for information on how to do this:

http://acne-wars.blogspot.com

great website, very accurate info concerning GLA, antioxidants etc. well done.

Have you mentioned these aspects:

those with insulin resistance and diabetes have a reduced capacity to convert linoleic fats to GLA.

the enzymes that convert linoleic to GLA have a preference for linolenic which means that possibly taking extra 03 (flax, fish oil etc) may block production of GLA. (I personally have had this happen and it took a while to figure out what was going on)

haha im very confused now - basically im gonna quit all my supplements over the next few days and start a fresh. Whats my best bet for a new rouitne and when and how often should i take them. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

great website, very accurate info concerning GLA, antioxidants etc. well done.

Have you mentioned these aspects:

those with insulin resistance and diabetes have a reduced capacity to convert linoleic fats to GLA.

the enzymes that convert linoleic to GLA have a preference for linolenic which means that possibly taking extra 03 (flax, fish oil etc) may block production of GLA. (I personally have had this happen and it took a while to figure out what was going on)

thanks asher2!

regarding the insulin resistance and diabetes aspect. Have you a link to where you found this info? It is interesting if it is true. also the same for the omega 3 enzyme statement would be appreciated. This may make the course more accurate if I can verify it. I have been doing some research lately that omega 3 can help block AA and so make supplementing with EPO more effective for the purposes of anti-inflammation. This contradicts your statement.

http://www.level1diet.com/research/id/165957

haha im very confused now - basically im gonna quit all my supplements over the next few days and start a fresh. Whats my best bet for a new rouitne and when and how often should i take them. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Comrade, to make your life easier mix equal parts flaxseed oil (omega 3) and olive oil (omega 6), and use this as a base for salad dressings. Add some lemon, garlic, whatever... and your done. It makes my life easier.

Uhhh... wow.

I just got back from the pharmacy after buying EPO and Flaxseed oil...

The flaxseed oil comes in 1000mg softgels.

The evening primrose oil comes in 500mg softgels.

Just... tell me what to do? :confused: