Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrankieBGirl

accutane dosage

Hey all.. Im halfway through my course.. or so I thought. I was on 40 Mgs the first 3 months. I just finished my 4th month at 60 mgs.. and Now my derm offered to give me 80 mgs and have it be my last month *5th* or I could stay at 60 and do one more month, plus an additional if needed. I'm not sure what I should do. I have had pretty much smooth sailing so far.. I get chest pain randomly (its in my chestbone it seems.. its weird, I dunno.) and hairloss..which is freaking me out since I am a cosmetologist and hair is REALLY important to me. Anyway- I want to make sure my acne never comes back... Ive only had one random breakout during the whole course.. I have no oil, and Im not really super dry either. I'm enjoying my life now and I want to make sure I can keep my clear skin.. So, what would you do? Take the 80 mgs and be done in a month.. Or continue with 60 mgs and possibly be stuck payin another 2 months? 80 mgs seems like ALOT.. because I only weigh 106 lbs.

80 really seems like a lot for your weight. I'd go for the 60 and an extra month. Have you done the math to see when you will hit your cumulative dose? The goal is to take 150 mg per every kilo pf body weight.

They say the cumulative dose should be 120-150mg/kg, mine is a little higher. I figured out what it will be by the end of my course and it's 182mg/kg.

Hey Jordan, how did you figure out your dosage at the end of your treatment? I'm 115 pounds and just started to take 100 mg for my third month. The derm. says that this is the maximum for my body weight. Do you know how to look that up?

actually, i'm having difficulty understanding how the dosage formula works.

i weigh 65 kg, but my derm says i should take 20mg/day only for the next 13 months. so that's about 330 pills. yet, i see ppl here taking dosages like, 40,60 or even 80mg / day.

????

I talked to my derm office and they said that my doctor isnt in until Monday. Boo. So, anyway- I figured my cumulative dosage if I take the 80 mgs this month as my last month.. and i would have 162 mg/kg. It's over the required/suggested dosage, but I missed a couple days here and there and took less one day when I wasn't feeling that great, etc. So that might not be 100% accurate.

Anyway.. I am payin OUT THE ASS for this medication (since being bumped to 60 mgs I pay 350$ for it) plus 50$ for the derm visit, and 30$ for bloodwork. So yeah.. It's expensive. I kind of want to be done with it already because it costs so much and it's a burden. However, acne is a bigger burden and i REALLY don't want it to come back. I told the girl who called from the derm office that I was considering doing the 80 mgs because I want it to be my last month. She's gonna leave a message for the derm and see what she wants to do. I'm just feeling antsy and wanting to be finished.

Does 162 mg/kg seem like a good cumulative number??

It's ok Beenthere!!! Im so glad you responded! Ummm.. I think if I take 2 more months at 60 mgs, the cumulative number would be like 187 mg/kg.. which I guess is better..but is it really that big of a deal? I mean.. If you think it is, then I would call my derm back and be like.. leave it at 60 for 2 months.. ya know? I just am desperately scared that my acne will return.. This drug is so amazing and helps so much.. I seriously have my life back and cant imagine worrying about acne again.

I dont want to push my luck, either- I think 80 mgs seems like alot, but if it can be finished in one month.. I almost rather it as long as I feel ok.

As i understand it, there is no known therapeutic benefit to cumulative doses above 150mg/kg, so i don't think you need that extra month in spite of my earlier comment. You would hit the 150mg/kg mark perfectly at 60mg for one more month.

Hey- One more thing.. I started taking Orthotricyclen Lo (Literally am on my 2nd week of it) and I noticed tiny little breakouts appearing... probably 4 pin-head breakouts. I'm not so much concerned with that, because Im hoping its my body adjusting to the hormones.. but I'm just nervous that breaking out in this timeframe (last month) is a bad thing. Does this mean ill relapse? Should I stop the Ortho? Should I let the Ortho get into my system for 3 months as they suggest and then figure it out? Oy! I do NOT want my acne back, Im so scared!!