Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
answerme

mission: restore healthy & vibrant skin (w/ PICS)

MY LONG ACNE HISTORY ("HIGHLIGHTS" from what i can remember):

age 12: I've had acne ever since I was 12 years old. It all started with an oily skin, followed by an allergic reaction to Safeguard liquid cleansers in the form of tiny pustules on the forehead and cheeks. I tried different over-the-counter skincare products but none of them worked.

age 14: By the age of 14, I used the same medications and products that temporarily helped my cousin - Erythromycin, Neutrogena Benzoyl Peroxide Mask, Retinoic Acid creme, oil-absorbing facial paper and some cleanser which name I forgot. Before using them I went to a dermatologist here in the tropical city of Makati, Philippines to consult about the products. She said they were safe to use and that I should schedule a session of facial cleaning in which blackheads and whiteheads would be extracted and pimples would be pricked. I was so worried about getting deep scars so my mom and I decided that I

shouldn't go. But I used the products. It worked during the first few days until my skin got burned (extremely red and painful) after using the Neutrogena mask (I should have used it less frequently in a week, I guess). Since then, my face became unnaturally red. My pimples

lessened however. My oiliness did not improve so I decided to carry with me facial tissues to frequently wipe the oil off my face.

age 15: I tried VMV Essence Skin-Saving Body and Bath Superwash Hair and Body Milk Shampoo for my wash but it didn't do anything helpful. My acne did not go away and returned to its old condition with more oiliness so my mom brought me to Dr. Vicki Belo

(dermatologist,Belo Medical Group). They gave me medications - Glycolic soap and toner (for my oily face and acne) and resorcin sulfur lotion (for my redness and acne) - and scheduled me for a facial cleaning session

after a week or two of using the medications. Again, I didn't go because I thought the improvement I had with the medications would completely free me from acne. After some time, I was back to my old condition so I decided to go back to Dr. Belo and pursue my treatment with the cleaning sessions. The sessions were literally one of the most painful experiences I'd had. It was like being in a torture chamber for an hour each time. I would feel so anxious all the time in anticipation before stepping in to the clinic. My face, as the doctor expected, peeled like crazy for 3 days after each session. I looked like a girl with white beard growing on her face (I couldn't get out of the house because it wasn't advised that I use moisturizer). This was due to the strong chemicals they put on my face after the cleaning process. My skin gradually improved after weeks-months of treatment. They were also gradually changing my medications. I'd had this treatment with them for about a year.

age 16: After seeing my face almost cleared, although still oily, and started to feel somewhat dissatisfied with the cleaning session (particularly with my 'attendant'), I stopped the sessions but continued using the medications. My mom found me a new dermatologist who charged patients for cheaper medical fees. My treatment - cleaning sessions, glycolic acid, glycolic(or benzoyl peroxide?) soap, resorcin sulfur, retinoic acid, differin - with her was somewhat similar to the previous one except that she didnt put harsh chemicals on me during the cleaning sessions, so consequently, there was no excessive peeling. My face improved (and I wasn't red-face anymore) again but my pores on my nose and cheeks started to get enlarged a little. My face, however, was still excessively oily.

age 17: After about a year, when she started raising the fees, I felt discouraged to continue seeing her. I wanted a doctor who would cure me, charge less, and require me to have such sessions less frequently through time. In the finals weeks of my treatment with her, I started using Proactiv and taking in vitamin supplements (A, C, E, in addition to Centrum) and mineral supplements (Zinc) without her consent. I stopped my medications but continued the cleaning sessions. My face improved quickly and the doctor noticed it too. After a few weeks, I decided to stop seeing her and just use Proactiv.

ages 17-18: After a few months on Proactiv system (less than a year), my face went back to its old condition with bigger pimples, and this time, much oilier, and the pores, much bigger. We found another dermatologist who gave me - azelaic acid, benzoyl peroxide-sulfur soap, etc. She had only one set of a huge number of medications for her acne patients. Soon after less than a month, I realized her incompetence so put myself back on Proactiv. I also used Cetaphil cleanser occasionally after I developed an allergic reaction to one of the dermatologist's prescribed topical medications.

age 19: My mom found another dermatologist from a family friend (who also referred us to the previous dermatologist, also an acne sufferer). This doctor seemed nicer and more knowledgeable about the

experiences (physical and psychological) of an acne sufferer so I trusted her so much. She said that I probably got immuned to it. She said that acne treatments shouldn't be that expensive because the main ingredients are almost the same with the cheaper, other dermatologist-formulated ones. She charges much less. She also put me on regular cleaning sessions and didn't use additional harsh

medications. She told me that I could use the remaining Proactiv benzoyl peroxide and shift after to Benzac wash. She gave me clindamycin tretinoin, glycolic acid, retinoic acid, and 2 other topical acne gels. I still see her sometimes (irregularly). The medicines can keep my acne under control most of the time. Somewhere in the middle of this period, I tried what my friend recommended: Dr. Kauffman's medicated soap for acne , Proactiv toner / old glycolic acid, VMV Armada 60 sunscreen (morning), and VMV moisturizer for oily skin (night). It worked only for a few days so I went back to my previous regimen.

age 20: I started incorporating Ketsugo spray for my oily skin and enlarged pores into my system. It helped in controlling acne (pimples, and whiteheads) but did not really stopped the excessive oiliness. Im still using it though. However, I am still not 100% clear, am still oily, and have enlarged pores.

age 21: I tried putting myself on Wai's Acne Diet. I was using only Lamas Face and Body Vitamin C cleanser. I stopped using the medications and the supplements. I ate only fruits, veggie salad and water for two weeks. It was soooo hard from the very first day! I lost weight to 90 pounds (from almost a hundred). My back however was noticeable improving. After that 2-week period I gave myself, my face was already purging (more white heads and tiny pimples started showing). Since school was about to start and my grandma was coming to visit for a month (that means she'd be in charge of the daily meals), I started to stop the diet. I realized I coundn't afford it - the costs (since I also had to finance my helper's 'normal' meals), purging, weight loss,

stronger cravings (even until now, the cravings for sweets and junkies are much stronger), and the unavailability of the unprocessed foods around the campus. I increased my fruit intake instead and lessened my intake of processed foods. I put myself back on my old medications.

Later that year, I was very busy (thesis, errands, etc.) that I couldn't see my dermatologist, get facial cleaning and buy myself the other medications that I had run out of. So for a few weeks already, I'd

been using only Lamas Face and Body Vitamin C cleanser, ketsugo, glycolic acid(morning), retinoic acid(night) and an acne gel. It seemed like they weren't strong enough to battle the pimples appearing on my cheeks and forehead which I believed were caused by my overeating of

sweets (chocolates and pastries in the past few days and weeks, caused by stress I guess), by my bad (irregular) sleeping habits, and irregular cleansing 'routine' (as I'd said, I was busy with our thesis).

Then I ordered a sample of FaceDoctor soap. Read about my experience with it on my next post.

my FACEDOCTOR original log from AcneTips yahoogroup:

SKIN CONDITION:

-extremely/excessively oily skin (my face gets really oily after just

an hour of washing.)

-tiny pimples and whiteheads in forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin

-blackheads on nose

-huge red pimples or cysts on any part (occassionaly)

-enlarged pores on forehead, nose, and cheeks

-some dents on nose

-some marks/dark spots on cheeks, chin and nose

-had developed an allergic reaction with Erthromycin

-have chest and back mild acne (they're somewhat oily too)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 1 2006: first day

As I said in my previous message, I'm going to update the group on my

experience with FaceDoctor (http://www.facedoctor.ca/index.html).

My order just arrived. The sample weighs 15grams (.5oz), which is as

small as the free soap bars they give you in hotels.

OBSERVATION:

Yesterday, I used Lamas Face and Body Vitamin C cleanser and 10%

glycolic acid. After about 7 hours, at past 12am this morning, I used

FaceDoctor and did not put anything else on my face afterwards. After

washing and drying my face with a facial tissue, I just felt a very

mild tingling sensation in some small areas of face which lasted after

a few minutes.

After finishing the 3rd paragraph under 'Acne Background' below, which

is more than an hour after using FaceDoctor, amazingly, my face hasn't

turned oily in any noticeable degree yet, even when I've been in front

of the computer. :) ...

Feb 4 2006: after the third day

OBSERVATION:

Some areas of my skin get a little itchy occasionally. Now, my

forehead skin had thickened a bit and sheds some, what i think are,

white dead skin when i scratch it (just like having very mild

dandruff). A few small pimples/whiteheads are appearing near the

hairline ang on the oiliest parts of my cheeks. I'm still feeling and

thinking positive about this endeavor! :)

More helpful links:

http://www.demodexsolutions.com/default.as...q.asp~mainFrame

Feb 6, 2006: sixth day

I can see that I'm on the purging stage, so instead of using

FaceDoctor, I decided to use Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque to dry the

pimples and help bring the blackheads and whiteheads to the surface.

Before using the mask, I cleansed my face with Lamas Face & Body

Vitamin C Wash. My complexion improved a little. There was no sign of

irritation and some of the white/blackheads did surface and therefore

were much easier to remove. I am hoping that it would speed up the

healing. I might use the mask once a week.

Feb 10 2006: tenth day

I'm still on the purging stage. More small pimples/whiteheads are

coming out. My forehead skin is still a bit thick. Im not sure isf

this is due to the anti-dandruff shampoos i've been using (Nizoral and

Head & Shoulders). I've been using FaceDoctor twice a day,

approximately every twelve hours.

Supplements:

Ginkgo Biloba, Vitamin C (500mg/day), Pharmanex Cortitrol (2 caps/night)

Demodex treatment advocates advise their patients to take vitamin B12.

I'm might look for it when I find time to do so.

Feb 18 2006: eighteenth day

Observation:

My face looks so much worse now - a lot redder, more small red and

cystic pimples on forehead (which is also a bit thicker), cheeks,

temple, and area near my mouth. I had been using Queen Helene Mint

Julep Masque almost every 5 days. Maybe I should use it less often.

Because I have to go to school this morning and I don't want to look

this awful, I've decided that I'll be using Lamas Face & Body Vitamin

C wash before leaving so I wouldn't get red skin. I've also just

dabbed some of my old retinoic acid and acne scar gel on the small

pimples to help dry them out. I'd just read from the facedoctor faqs

that it's okay to use other medications in conjuction with facedoctor

soap so as long as it's been tested to not cause your skin irritation.

Feb 25 2006: twentififth day

I'm been using facedoctor less often now (still at least once a day).

Once a day, i put glycolic acid (am) and retinoic acid (pm) and my

acne scar gel to my pimples after washing with Lama Face and Boy

Vitamin C cleanser. Sorry if i seem to be cheating the program but

since the facedoctor faqs say that we can use it with other

medications and also use it once a day, and that i just couldn't

afford to go out looking awful during such a bad purging stage, i've

decided to my combine my demodex treatment with my other medications

to dry out the pimples that are surfacing.

I still haven't fixed my poor sleeping habits and diet due to my thesis.

OBSERVATION:

My face is beginning to dry a bit around my mouth. My forehead skin is

still thick and dry. There are times when my forehead and nose would

really get itchy like crazy. Tiny cystic pimples continue to show on

surface (probably more than six).

This dry and itchy condition is very similar to how my skin reacted to

erythromycin (topical antibiotic which i became allergic to the second

time i tried using it) although my experience with erythromycin also

resulted to really red complexion. After quitting erythromycin and the

other medications i took with it at that time, i only used the regular

cetaphil facial wash which helped soothe my skin after about 2 weeks.

And after my allergy disappeared, my skin was so much clearer and

smoother (due to drying effect i guess...) however, cetaphil wasn't

about to keep my very oily skin pimple-free after a few days.

Mar 6 2006: thirty-fourth day (1 month & 6 days from Feb 1)

OBSERVATION:

Even when I decreased my usage to once I day, lots (and i mean LOTS)

of new tiny pimples and whiteheads kept appearing each day, even if i

try to dry the old ones with Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, Glycolic

acid, Retinoic Acid and my acne scar gel. Because of this, I decided

to give my face about a week of rest from using facedoctor and got

myself back to my old regimen. Probably by tomorrow, I'll continue

using facedoctor but I'll use it only once a day or once every other

day. My oily skin reacted crazily during the purging stage. Using

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque temporarily dried some of the pimples,

helped some whiteheads move to the surface but made my skin dry and

redder. So my face has been peeling mildly for days ever since. My

face has become rougher due to the combination of finely peeling skin,

whiteheads and tiny pimples. The best thing the mask did for me,

nonetheless, is that it cleaned the pores on my nose and has

noticeably shrinked its pores. A few hours ago, I used Burt's Bees

green mask (the one that you mix with water or juice) because I think

it's tougher on the pimples. Luckily, it did do a pretty good job

bringing the whiteheads/blackheads out and now my face seems a little

less irritated. I also just started using facedoctor on my chest, back

and upper arms where a few tiny pimples exist. (the sample size can

probably last for 3 months)

Mar 14 2006: forty-second day (1 month and 14 days from Feb 1)

OBSERVATION:

I don't know how to stop this white-heads-and-peeling-skin attack.

I've been off the facedoctor usage for 2 weeks already. Could this be

caused by the masks? Or is this all caused by facedoctor? If it is so,

then I'm beginning to doubt the ability of the product to 'clean' the

tiny pimples and white heads that it brings to the surface.

I'm currently using cetaphil (and celeteque sometimes before going out

when i see that my skin's too oily for cetaphil to cleanse). I had

decreased my application of glycolic acid and retinoic acid due to the

peeling i've been experiencing.

because my old meds (mainly glycolic acid+vitamin C, & retinoic acid) couldn't clear up the milia and big cysts & nodules on my face (mostly found on my chin), i had to look for a new derm as i didnt want my old derm to find out that i self-treated myself without her consent.

April 19 2006

i went to a new derm. she prescribed:

*AM

- acne soap (gentle washing) (it's yellow. it probably has sulfur in it)

- astringent

- acnemycin

*PM

- acne soap (gentle washing)

- astringent

- acne lotion (i think it's resourcin sulfur)

*Tetrcycline (1 capsule 2x / day x 1 wk)

*Skin-Hair-Nails vitamin supplements

Then she told me to go to the lab and request for the following tests:

- CBC (complete blood count)

- Serum Cholesterol

- Triglycerides

- SGPT-Alaninine Amino Transferase

- Alkaline Phospatase Serum (ALP)

so she could see if I was qualified to take the powerful oral medicine she wanted to prescribe.

April 21 2006

i took the blood test.

and the results:

Department of Pathology (Clinical Chemistry Section)

SPECIMEN: SERUM

EXAMINATION --------------------- RESULT -------------------- REFERENCE VALUE

Alkaline Phospatase Serum (ALP) ---- 58 --------------------------- 38-136 u/L

Serum Cholesterol --------------------- 4.5 -------------------- Less than 5.2 m m ol/L

SGPT-Alaninine Amino Transferase -- 17 ---------------------------- 9-52 u/L

Triglycerides --------------------------- 0.74 ---------------------- 0-2.26 m m ol/L

Department of Pathology (Hematology Section)

SPECIMEN: PLASMA

EXAMINATION -------------------- RESULT --------------------- REFERENCE VALUE

Hemoglobin --------------------------- 13.3 ------------------------ 12.0-16.0 g/dL

Hematocrit ---------------------------- 40.2 --------------------------- 38-47 %

White Blood Cells -------------------- 7.39 ------------------------ 4.5-11.0 10^3/uL

Neutrophils --------------------------- 60.1 ---------------------------- 50-70 %

Lymphocytes ------------------------- 29.8 ---------------------------- 20-40 %

Monocyte ------------------------------ 6.4 ------------------------------ 0-7 %

Eosinophil ------------------------------ 3.2 --------------------------- 0.0-5.0 %

Basophils ------------------------------ 0.5 --------------------------- 0.0-1.0 %

Remarks: Platelets Adequate

ISOTRETINOIN entries

Last week of April 2006

after showing the lab test results to my derm, she said the results showed normal levels and so she finally gave me a box of Acnetrex 10 (10mg of isotretinoin, aka Accutane) for one month. It costs Php1500. When i asked her how long i was supposed to take it, she said we'd see and that it would depend on the progress. She told me to come back after two weeks so i could have my extractions (facial physical cleaning session) to speed up the progress.

i was to take the drug with the topicals she previously gave me.

age 22: here are my isotret entries originally posted in other member's logs

May 11 2006 entry

first side effect appeared on my 5th day - dry lips (they felt thicker each day until now). in the middle of my second week, my skin started to peel. the dosage is really low but im getting pretty good results...

im on topical meds too but in times when i feel that my skin is overdrying, i skip my topical medications (astringent, antibiotic, resorcin sulfur). big bumps don't get too big but they've been drying out quickly these past few days. dark spots are improving as well due to the peeling, very noticeable after washing/bath.

May 13 2006 entry 1

i know that the drug manufacturers (acnetrex & accutane as well) strictly warns/forbids us from taking vitamin A supplements. but i was kind of worried about the effects of the drug on my liver (as i've learned from leo kiesen's book. uhh...have you heard about him & his "Last Acne Solution", which is kinda like a holistic approach? there's a zillion tons of info to learn from the man).

so i started taking MULTIvitamins (the best that's available in my house at the moment, Pharmanex LifePak...& no, it's not vitamin a concentrated) in its suggested full dosage, in addition to the "skin, hair & nails supplements tablets" that my derm gave me before i started taking isotretinoin, and i have to say that i started feeling much better since then. im not taking these LifePak supplements after the same meal that i take my isotret, though.

i also dilute 1-2 lemons/limes in a cup of water every morning for vitamin C, to help neutralize toxins, thereby taking some burden off my liver (as advised by kiesen as well). the liver, by the way has so much role to play in keeping the skin clear. plus, i take lots of fiber in the morning - from whole grain rolled oats for added internal cleansing...

well my condition had been ranging from mild to severe for ten years (got a little severe lately when big cysts started appearing on my chin & jaw line - amounting to nearly 10 - that's why i looked for a new doctor who finally prescribed me to take acnetrex). i normally had comedonal acne from age 12... i still don't know if my derm's going to raise the dosage on my next visit (should have visited her a few days ago), as what others had experienced. im applying vaseline on my lips too, although i skip it sometimes when i stay home coz i dont want it causing further breakouts on my chin. (do you get problems on your chin too? if you do, quickly switch to flavour-and-fluoride-free toothpaste.)...

May 13 2006 entry 2

im taking the multivitamins until now. i havent really noticed anything negatively odd with my body ever since i started taking them. i also don't get depressed anymore, which i experienced in the first consecutive days on isotret. btw, herbal teas may also be good and they are best taken before going to bed to help you sleep (according to Leo as well).

breakouts on forehead you say? i've managed to keep the number of zits on my forehead to minimum by switching to the regular classic Head & Shoulders. i guess it was the zinc pyrithione in it that helped. the anti-dandruff Pantene was also fine with me (also had the same zinc content). i could really see the difference by simply switching from one shampoo to another. the lemon-scented Head & Shoulders here, however, caused me breakouts, probably because of the stronger fragrance.

initial breakout? hmmm...does it have to look so bad or far worse than before we started taking the drug? i kinda fear such stage...i can almost imagine myself feeling so depressed for not being able to go out because of really bad acne...i hope i've gone through it already.

btw, one more difference i've noticed on my face lately is that the black heads on my nose (especially on the bridge) are becoming so visible...i guess that's what my derm was talking about when she told me to come back two weeks after to get facial cleaning (to be performed by her). oh well...

May 15 2006 entry

unfortunately, i missed my appointment this morning. yup, i just wasted my time travelling. anyway, im expecting the procedure of physical extraction (facial) with those tiny metal instruments (incuding injections) that they press upon (or prick) your face a thousand times (id been having these sessions with all the dermatologists id gone to)...they all hurt like hell...the first ones were the most painful ones i had ever experienced in my entire life (it was like spending an hour in a torture chamber!). they all drove me to practice crazy visualization techniques during the sessions just to keep my mind from minding the pain! lol.gif

progress: no new big cysts, existing ones are drying. skin is less, less oily. excessive peeling on chin (hmm...may not be good)...

May 18 2006 entry 1

yeah, same here...i normally have that kind of feeling about what i think other people think or see of me.

that's why im beginning to really try hard to keep my attention on something else, say what im saying or what the people around me are talking about or something as positive as how good things are gonna be soon...remember that all these negative thoughts will only cause you to be more negative <ding> - that's something we must avoid. observing the reality we're in doesn't mean we have to have negative feelings toward things. eusa_angel.gif

yes, avoid sun exposure. isotret makes us more sensitive to sunlight. if you can find a good sunscreen, get yourself one. high spf the better. im using vmv hypoallergenics armada 45 - 60 (its really good, doesnt give me breakouts). im not sure if its available where you are (you can check it out at their website, though)...

cheer up! we will get through this! smile.gif

May 18 2006 entry 2

im off to my derm again tomorrow. hope i get up early as tom's the last weekday of this week & i dont want to further delay my visits til nxt wk.

my chin is really getting so dry, has flaking white strips of skin and makes me look like im growing white thin beard. sad.gif anyway, i try to peel them off and im glad it doesnt hurt a bit! haha! im also using cetaphil to wash this part...im getting or noticing no new pimples, although most of the existing ones are still there. a few have dried already, though. what else? seems like i can stay dry without having to wash my face more than once or twice a day now! it's really amazing that i wouldnt have to bother now having to keep wiping excess oil off my face. eusa_dance.gif

and this is like the end of my third week. that's why i allowed myself to sinfully eat as much chocolate as i could yesterday! eusa_doh.gif (boy, that made me, literally, feel sick. eusa_sick.gif started feeling slight pain in my lung/heart/rib area after finishing an entire huge bar.) so i had a strong urge to eat a cup of cooked whole grain oats & a cup of green tea last night...

May 20 2006 entry 1

hey, i went to my derm this morning and as expected, i underwent acne surgery (cleaning). the procedure was still painful, she also gave me injections on different areas of my face (cant remember the count. they were just too many for me to remember). she told me to come back after a week to 'clean' the zits that she expected to come out to the surface after a few days. uh-oh! shock.gif but she reckoned that before the second month ends, my condition would, noticeably, improve.

May 20 2006 entry 2

my skin looks so much better now, my pores are getting smaller (this is like one of my top concerns before. enlarged pores made me look 10 years older). biggrin.gif im not so embarrassed anymore to look at myself in the mirror in public comfort rooms! (seriously!) and only isotret was able to do somethin tremendous like that for me! im sooo in love with this drug! wub.gif im not experiencing awful side effects at all (dry lips & skin isnt sooo bad in my case) since the dosage is almost like underdose compared to what most acne sufferers are being prescribed...

May 21 2006 entry

I hope things get better for you soon. I have learned from an ex-acne-sufferer that we should try to look at this "acne challenge" as a temporary challenge or problem from which we, the sufferers, must separate ourselves from. That way, we wouldn't feel so bad about the situation and about ourselves. Rather, we would feel more hopeful and stronger. smile.gif Sorry, if I sound preachy. I just feel that it's a good thing to share things that I have learned from other people/sources which I also find very helpful...

Don't you think that the tane could be causing some nutritional imbalance in your body that requires you to take a specific kind of supplement? eusa_think.gif It's funny to think that in my case it's the opposite. Probably because of the multivitamins I'm taking. For two weeks already until now, I'm eating like a pig. People around are noticing more how fat I'm becoming. My cravings are what I need to control. neutral.gif Well, hope you'll find a way to address your problem too.

May 28 2006 entry

do you know if your derm's planning to raise the dosage you're taking? i just started my second month and im still on 10mg. the weather is getting warmer and my skin doesn't seem to dry anymore. although im not seeing any noticeable pimple, im getting a bit worried about my oil glands. they seem to be getting a little more active now. could it be my lack of sleep causing this? or the moisturizer ive been using lately when going out?...

May 29 2006 entry

i did notice too the dark spots on my face left by old cysts. now that im not peeling anymore, it's also becoming my concern to make them go away soon as a few people had mistaken my spots for pimples.

im using vmv hypoallergenics armada face cover 30 (half-physical, half-chemical sunscreen), and sometimes nu skin's tinted moisturizer spf 15 (they say it is best to get one that protects your skin from both indoor and outdoor light rays to help lighten skin faster). they don't irritate my skin but im confused if id continue using them since my skin's becoming a little oily again...

June 1 2006 entry

same thing here. my derm said it would depend on my progress as well and that it could take 3-6 months...

June 3 2006 entry

im not so worried about the length of time she'd let me stay on the drug as i also have alternative treatments in mind. i do hope that this will take less than six months (it can't take any longer than that coz i'll be out of the country for a long time by then).

im not so happy about my skin right now because it's turned oily again and my pores appear enlarged again. sad.gif im not getting any new significant pimple, though. i went to the clinic about two days ago to order the 'skin-hair-and-nails' vitamin supplements which i had stopped taking for a week or two when my supply ran out. i was thinking that maybe this could have been the cause. so now i've been taking this again for 3 days already since the 2-wk cessation. im considering many possible causes to this increase in oil production:

-lack of sleep/more stress

-cessation of the 'skin-hair-and-nail supplement' intake (got this from my derm a week before i started taking isotret and then ran out of it a week before my isotret month 1 ended; i ordered again just before my week 2 of month two started)

-change in weather (warmer)

-increase in intake of chocolate energy drinks (im beginning to eliminate that now from my diet)...

-increase in frequency of moisturizer usage

June 9 2006 entry

my skin's so much better when i skip the topical meds for a few days and avoid using the tinted moisturizer (my skin becomes drier again) ...that's another set of changes i've taken in addition to the skin-hair-and-nails vitamin supplements i've started taking again. my derm said my progress was going pretty fast. biggrin.gif yay! im seeing her after two weeks again to undergo another facial cleaning/acne surgery (which she said would be less painful as the whiteheads and blackheads are decreasing in number.)

oh yea, about your depression...have i mentioned here that the ones i experienced in my first days went away when i started taking the multivitamins?...maybe you should consult your doctor about additional supplements.

July 22 2006 entry

ive been too busy workin on our thesis these past few weeks (our deadline's on wednesday). stress, insufficient sleep and junk food cravings are my biggest enemies. i've also missed like 2 visits to my derm already sad.gif and my isotret supply is about to run out (uh-oh).

i hope your derm becomes more sensitive to your feelings though. i feel the same way somehow about mine coz i see that she doesnt seem to care much about causing dents on some areas of my face when she does extractions to me. ive been worrying about scars and my enlarged pores lately...

July 27 2006 entry

hey mark! just got my new box of isotret, and a positive feedback from my derm! biggrin.gif she added this ointment 'steroderm e cream' for the dry/itchy/red areas. my derm also said i might have to stay on this treatment for six months, if that's ok with me. she said she doesnt want her patients to take the drug longer than that, unless the condition is very severe and that the patient's liver can tolerate the drug.

August 11 2006 entry

i'd like to let you know that my derm told me just this morning that this fourth box of isotret will be my last. i was surprised to hear that. i still have two weeks and although i feel a little excitement, i also have worries about maintaining clear skin. my skin's like 98% clear from zits and white heads but i still have some indented scars, hyperpigmented spots, and enlarged pores (i've been researching on the different treatments for these problems). my skin also still gets a little oily/shiny especially when i apply the topicals.

August 29 2006 entry

i was surprised this morning to find my acnetrex box empty. whoah! im done with this treatment finally! i havent seen my derm yet though. biggrin.gif i'll go see her next week probably...to see if my skin stays clear a week without the drug...then she can decide whether or not to put me back on the treatment (i hope not).

im now taking only TeGreen (green tea supplement) and Optima Omega (omega 3) capsules. im planning to buy (or get my parents to buy for me biggrin.gif ) other vitamin and mineral supplements as soon as possible to keep my skin clear.

September 7 2006 entry

oh no! i went to see my derm aftr 2 wks off isotret. aftr the extractions, she told me that maybe i should complete the six months coz she found a few blackheads (i think they're whiteheads) on my cheeks. so i just started my 5th month yesterday. <sigh>

entries from other member's topics on next posts.

May 20 2006 entry

blackheads started appearing also on my nose bridge on my third week. my derm performs acne surgery on me.

May 29 2006 entry

anyway, back to acne...my skin started to dry by my second week. i think it is sooo much better than oily skin. im now on my second month, first week, and just like you, i guess the weather that's getting warmer is causing my oil glands to become a little bit active again. im not as dry as i'd been before.

June 3 2006 entry

i found a brand of aloe vera juice in a small can (product of japan) and got it for almost less than half-of-a-dollar. it tasted great but didnt contain harmful additives. (i'll update this post with the exact list of ingredients when i get another can).

i took one can one day just a week ago while on isotretinoin (generic name of Accutane) plus pharmanex LifePak multivitamins. i didnt notice anything different in my body.

on the second week (just yesterday, to be exact), i took another can of this aloe vera juice when i passed by the store. after a few hours, i took my isotret drug and the skin-hair-and-nail supplement pill i ordered from my derm that same day. when i woke up in the morning, i went to the bathroom to pee and found a layer of what seemed like drops of orange-colored oil or fat, in my urine. later that day i passed white mucus too (in addition to that "oil drops"; this one, a research on the web said, is an effect of aloe vera intake)...

i dont know if this is a good thing or not, especially that im on isotret which does things to sebaceous glands.

has any of you had similar observation?

June 3 2006 entry

im still on 10mg acnetrex brand of isotretinoin (generic name of accutane) and this is my second week of second month. when my second month started my face was becoming oily again. im considering many possible causes:

-lack of sleep/more stress

-cessation of the 'skin-hair-and-nail supplement' intake (got this from my derm a week before i started taking isotret and then ran out of it a week before my isotret month 1 ended; i ordered again just before my week 2 of month two started)

-change in weather (warmer)

-increase in intake of chocolate energy drinks (im beginning to eliminate that now from my diet)...

-increase in frequency of moisturizer usage

June 6 2006 entry

me...no. but my skin, especially in my limbs and hands are getting really sensitive to heat and other things. i get 'invisible' wounds/cuts that hurt for a long period of time.

September 6 2006 entry

in my experience, i had a discharge of orange drops of grease which my derm and i thought was from isotret flushed out by the lemon water (or aloe vera juice) i drank.

ISOTRETINOIN Entry

okay enough of the old entries.

im now on my 11th day of my 5th month on isotret (a.k.a. Accutane). i was 2 weeks off it before my 5th month started coz we thought 4 boxes of isotret would be enough but then my derm felt a few blackheads on my cheeks during my last visit upon which she also did extractions to me.

i've been eating healthy meals, snacks, green smoothies (thanks to Independent_Thinker's FABULOUS Skin Food = Goodbye Acne!! ) and taking the following supplements daily:

- vitamin C from 1/2-1 lime/green lemon juice diluted in a glass/cup of water

- vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol) 400 IU with yeast-free selenium 100 mcg and lecithin from soy 1600 mg

- optima omega: marine lipid concentrate 1100 mg, omega 3 EPA 150 mg, DHA 100 mg, other omega 3 fatty acids 50 mg, and deodorized garlic oil 1 mg

- soy lecithin granules 1 tablespoon

- calcium 1000 mg with magnesium (from magnesium oxide, chelate) 25 mg, zinc (from zinc oxide chelate) 25 mg, vitamin D3 (as choecalciferol) 200 IU, betaine HCI 100 mg, and glutamic acid HCI 100 mg

- bee pollen 500 mg

my main problem now includes:

oiliness

enlarged/scarred pores

indented & hyperpigmented scars

here are my pics so far (taken on Sept 14 2006):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

ALLERGIES?

i have temporarily stopped taking Tegreen 97 (green tea leaf extract 20:1 250mg) because i've suspected it to be causing eye irritation (itchiness). while im off it, i dont get that itchy eye problem anymore. here are its other ingredients:

- millet (this is my culprit)

- gelatin

- magnesium stearate

- magnesium silicate

- silicon dioxide

i've also noticed that consuming 3 or more Royal Dansk luxury wafers with vanilla creme filling makes my face itchy after a few minutes (like it's noticeably itchy every time). yeah i know im supposed to be on a healthy diet. i couldn't help eating junkies, they're literally everywhere in the house! anyway, here is the wafer's list of ingredients:

- sugar

- wheat flour

- palm oil

- tapioca starch

- corn starch

- whey

- dextrose

- rice flour

- maltodextrin

- milk

- soy lecithin

- salt

- caramel color

- artificial vanilla flavor

- eggs

- may contain traces of hazelnuts.

i think these junk foods (combos, crackers, double thick choco chip & candy cookies, kettle chips), bacon, hawaiian macadamia chocolates (yep, i've eaten these in a week), even with with clean nutritious foods, plus the warm-hot weather, makes my skin oilier.

GOAL

To restore healthy & vibrant skin.

i want to bring back the baby skin texture. :D seriously, i still think it's possible for all of us to restore/achieve perfect skin texture.

here are han go eun's pics and i want to have clear and smooth skin just like hers.

FYI, han go eun is a south korean actress and model.

han go eun without make-up

IPB Image

han go eun with make-up

IPB Image

*WoaH Really Long Journey* Well even know from pics you skin looks nice. And as you I also belive it is possible back baby skin texture. I am also skin care freak and follow by rules "Gorgeous Skin In 30 Days By Erica Angyal ". So far I am reached and I have so smooth skin body and hand but face damn still left red marks and few zits etc.. So still few things to do.. I am mostly knowledged about nourish feed skin from internal than outside...

Anyways if you want read this topic:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=116225

Take care yourself ~ I hope you will reach your dreams :| ~ God Bless you

*WoaH Really Long Journey* Well even know from pics you skin looks nice. And as you I also belive it is possible back baby skin texture. I am also skin care freak and follow by rules "Gorgeous Skin In 30 Days By Erica Angyal ". So far I am reached and I have so smooth skin body and hand but face damn still left red marks and few zits etc.. So still few things to do.. I am mostly knowledged about nourish feed skin from internal than outside...

Anyways if you want read this topic:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=116225

Take care yourself ~ I hope you will reach your dreams :| ~ God Bless you

hey i've seen that topic about 2 days ago. very interesting. i've been a believer of what diet/nutrition can do for skin ever since i learned about wai's diet, perricone's clear skin prescription (book) and ordered leo kiesen's last acne solution just early this year. so far, i've never done any flushing yet, just the diet and supplementation. im about to finish my isotretinoin treatment and so im preparing for proper maintenance through diet and all that detoxification techniques. well, have you completed the 30 days? that program sounds really interesting as it gives you a schedule to follow (i havent finished reading kiesen's book but so far he's never mentioned any sched like that).

No Miss. I havent done yet since I am still busy with cleaning my body and diagnost every organ to see everything ok than would start that diet. However other side it is bit hard to make diet becouse there many food recipes vegetables fruits is kinda rare in my country to find them + make so I need to find and prepair myself lol...

Anyways look dont buy over net any ebook ~ I am download them over p2p so if you need anything else I can send you by msn messenger... And sure if you have any and want share than would be happy ^_^ I also have alot of diets , skin care program , herbal dictionary etc..

I am now 20 during 18-19 age worked in Skin Care Beauty salon ("Flavius) as asistant helper so know Lol how to make face mask , take care face etc Also learning Shiatsu massage atm on level 2 (thx mine Chinese teacher teaching me) .. :D

PS: Tommorow mornign would go check full analize of blood , sugar level etc.. hope everything ok... :whistle:

No Miss. I havent done yet since I am still busy with cleaning my body and diagnost every organ to see everything ok than would start that diet. However other side it is bit hard to make diet becouse there many food recipes vegetables fruits is kinda rare in my country to find them + make so I need to find and prepair myself lol...

Anyways look dont buy over net any ebook ~ I am download them over p2p so if you need anything else I can send you by msn messenger... And sure if you have any and want share than would be happy ^_^ I also have alot of diets , skin care program , herbal dictionary etc..

I am now 20 during 18-19 age worked in Skin Care Beauty salon ("Flavius) as asistant helper so know Lol how to make face mask , take care face etc Also learning Shiatsu massage atm on level 2 (thx mine Chinese teacher teaching me) .. :D

PS: Tommorow mornign would go check full analize of blood , sugar level etc.. hope everything ok... :whistle:

do you get live blood analysis? there's only one place i know in our country to get it. how do you check those levels and get them analyzed?

anyway, do you keep a log here? please do update us on how your test goes. does that shiatsu massage look into pressure points?

im also interested in the reading materials about skincare which you mentioned. i dont have an account in msn messenger, though. i've never tried it. i've only used yahoomessenger.

OILY SKIN's coming back!!!

im still on my 2nd week of 5th month of isotret treatment but my skin has become oilier, very much unlike before.

im suspecting that this could be caused by any of the following:

1. junk foods (club hawaii chocolate covered macadamia nuts, double thick cho & candy chip cookies, royal dansk wafers, chex mix, rice krispies treats)

2. processed meat intake (my bro came home last sept 12 from the states and brought packs of bacon, bologna & sausages and we've been having them for breakfast together with boiled/poached eggs, vegetable salad, non-sugar & non-yeast diet wheat loaf, and oatmeal

3. new set of supplements (i started taking them also when he arrived. see signature)

4. poor sleeping habits (very irregular) and stress

5. new fine finish pore minimiser from vmv hypoallergenics (maybe my face wasnt ready for any pore minimizers yet. the product contains aluminum chlorhyhdrol solution as its main ingredient)

IPB Image

This unique toner causes the cells around the skin's pores to expand slightly, allowing each pore to be constricted inward and reduce its visible size. Lessens pore visibility and can help control shine

VH - 27 (free of all known cosmetic allergens). 100% All-Types-Of-Fragrance-Free. 100% Preservative-Free. Usage and Patch Tested. Non-Comedogenic. For Men, Women, and Kids ages 18+.

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Aluminum Chlorhydrol Solution - 50.0%-20.0%.

Other Ingredients: Refined Ethyl Alcohol, D.I. Water

Well I think yes it is give fully biology analyze of blood + allergy fish foods dusk etc + Blood suger level and toxin level of body...

Sad but I dont make log I think I will begin... ^_^

I can control my oil skin and It is all depends what I eat... Atm with my beauty diet my skin is less oily allmost 70%.. I am so happy cuz those 2-3 year I allways had shiny skin and tired of..... Now back white pure skin :)

PS: Do you use internet often a day? Also if you able get please msn messenger it is so cool and also what is ur id on yahoo m.?

does that shiatsu massage look into pressure points?

Well yes I do/learn massage by meredians maps.

Introduction Shiatsu:

Shiatsu is a Japanese word meaning “finger pressure�. It is a new name for the oldest form of medicine - healing with hands. Everybody has the healing power of touch and responds to touch. It is a natural ability that people are now beginning to recognize again.Shiatsu uses hand pressure and manipulative techniques to adjust the body's physical structure and its natural inner energies, to help ward off illness, and maintain good health.

Shiatsu is characterized by its great simplicity. It grew from earlier forms of massage, called Anma in Japan (Anmo or Tuina in China) which use rubbing, stroking, squeezing, tapping, pushing, and pulling to influence the muscles and circulatory systems of the body. Shiatsu, by contrast, uses few techniques and to an observer it would appear that little is happening - merely a still, relaxed pressure at various points on the body with the hand or thumb, an easy leaning of the elbows or a simple rotation of a limb. It almost seems a lazy activity and, to the extent that it conserves one's energy, it is. But underneath the uncomplicated movements much is happening internally to the body's energy on a subtle level.

do you get live blood analysis? there's only one place i know in our country to get it. how do you check those levels and get them analyzed?

anyway, do you keep a log here? please do update us on how your test goes. does that shiatsu massage look into pressure points?

im also interested in the reading materials about skincare which you mentioned. i dont have an account in msn messenger, though. i've never tried it. i've only used yahoomessenger.

Well I think yes it is give fully biology analyze of blood + allergy fish foods dusk etc + Blood suger level and toxin level of body...

Sad but I dont make log I think I will begin... ^_^

I can control my oil skin and It is all depends what I eat... Atm with my beauty diet my skin is less oily allmost 70%.. I am so happy cuz those 2-3 year I allways had shiny skin and tired of..... Now back white pure skin :)

PS: Do you use internet often a day? Also if you able get please msn messenger it is so cool and also what is ur id on yahoo m.?

do you get those tests in a hospital? how much (US dollars) do they charge you for all that (if you dont mind me asking :) )?

ok now diet to control oil is a major topic. could you summarize yours, as in a brief outline?

Well I cant say it is hospital but it is just big clinic about diagnostic: You can test your any organ , any kind of sickness , nutriotion def... etc... Well I took 4 type test and paid 50$ around also today they also took from my pee (for infections checking if dont have any) Lol :)

About diet Umm: My most diet contain that foods digest fast in my body.. I d

I am avoid:

Sugar and sweet things

Gluten Free (Also no white rice - white bread cuz it is took alot time for digest)

Red Meat maybe a week 1-2 time or no

Hydrogentaed Oils

Heated Oils (<~ Very important)

No Beef , oragns meat or pork

No refined carbos

No Dairy (for now)

--------------------------------------------

So i eat alot of salads , fruits , fish , kefir , no skin white meat chicken beans , soups especially love raw soups etc...

- When I cook food than I boil or stream and after add olivie oils so I dont burn ~ this one of key that I do

So far I read many skin care diets books and articles and most of them had few same point rule:

example:

Gorgeous Skin In 30 Days By Erica Angyal:

Food and lifestyle sins: The Absolute Skin No-no�₉„¢s

Enemy of Skin:

1. SUGAR

2.High Insulin (Alot of Carbos that makes high insulin / HIGH GI)

3. Heated Oils / Bad Oils

5. White Bread

----

the diet principles you follow are very similar to kiesen's.

it's easier when all you have in your house is fresh healthy foods, but damn hard when you keep bad stuff. i think im gonna have to set some rules/measures to make sure i dont get my hands on anything that's a threat to my skin, especially when everyone around is eating cooked/processed food. it's a good thing, though, that im the cook in the house but most of the time, when im preparing meals not just for me, i cant avoid putting less healthy stuff and eating some afterwards.

ive struggled with worsening cravings (until now) ever since i did wai's diet earlier this year for two weeks. since then i became overly conscious with what i eat and feel so guilty when i eat processed foods. any tips?

EDIT: it's added stress when you think or search the internet for the healthiest recipes.

EDIT: ive struggled with worsening cravings (until now) ever since i did wai's diet last year for two weeks.

Well I dunno ~ I dont get crawling when I eat everyday raw foods fruits salads etc... Sure everyone body (especially gut flora) is diffrent ~ but example if ur in outside with friends in any resoutrant than just order from menu salads with olive oil or soup - this is what I do

VMV FINE FINISH PORE MINIMISER

here are the pics i promised to post:

after washing with the "gentle washing" soap given to me by my derm and patting my face dry with kleenex unscented facial tissue:

IPB Image

close-up

IPB Image

then after applying the minimiser

IPB Image

close-up

IPB Image

then i applied nu skin tinted moisturizer and vmv pressed powder

IPB Image

close-up

IPB Image

IPB Image

the effect is just temporary for the day, i guess, coz after about 2 hours, my skin started getting a bit shiny and a little oily again.

SUPPLEMENT & TOPICAL UPDATE

IPB Image

yesterday i started increasing my daily intake of other supplements to:

- vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol) 400 IU with yeast-free selenium 100 mcg and lecithin from soy 1600 mg (2x/day)

- optima omega: marine lipid concentrate 1100 mg, omega 3 EPA 150 mg, DHA 100 mg, other omega 3 fatty acids 50 mg, and deodorized garlic oil 1 mg (2x/day)

- calcium 1000 mg with magnesium (from magnesium oxide, chelate) 25 mg, zinc (from zinc oxide chelate) 25 mg, vitamin D3 (as choecalciferol) 200 IU, betaine HCI 100 mg, and glutamic acid HCI 100 mg (2x/day)

- bee pollen 500 mg (2x/day)

and maintain the rest:

- vitamin C from 1/2-1 lime/green lemon juice diluted in a glass/cup of water

- soy lecithin granules 1 tablespoon

im also reducing my usage of the topicals (astringent, antibiotic, resourcin sulfur) to once-twice a week coz they make my face oilier & redder.

second week of 5th month on isotret is coming to end! cant wait for my parents to see all the improvement! they're coming home on sept 27!

IPB Image

Well Miss you skin looks nice if you really care about pores size than just do procedure in beauty skin care salon : Alpha.A. Peeiling this is best that I tried Minimize pore 70-80% ~ But be aware cuz if you dont have problem redness of skin than you can do without problem... after peeiling your face would be red like burning but next day it would calm 70% and next day everything gone... weekly 1 time recommend - total 1 month

PS: Also for take redness of peeiling is best to use "Bepanthen" By Rocha maybe in salon they would also recommend after peeiling useing for calm face.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well Miss you skin looks nice if you really care about pores size than just do procedure in beauty skin care salon : Alpha.A. Peeiling this is best that I tried Minimize pore 70-80% ~ But be aware cuz if you dont have problem redness of skin than you can do without problem... after peeiling your face would be red like burning but next day it would calm 70% and next day everything gone... weekly 1 time recommend - total 1 month

PS: Also for take redness of peeiling is best to use "Bepanthen" By Rocha maybe in salon they would also recommend after peeiling useing for calm face.

IPB Image

IPB Image

i am thinking of something like that for my pores & scars but im gonna have to wait for a few months before i can go for one cause that's not advisable when you're on tane (skin healing's really slow that it peels or surgeries could worsen the appearance). but anyway, is that alpha acid peeling? is that what it is? i probably cant do that since my face gets red easily, but who knows? maybe itll improve in time.

did the procedure hurt? my mom underwent some chem peeling before and she stayed home for about 2 weeks with her dark brown burnt skin. she said it hurt like hell! but it made her skin look almost perfect. btw, thanks melfice for all the input! they're totally worth considering. :)

Oh forgot yes ur at tane atm... So probably healing process would take slow time.. Well it doesn hurt even 1% Lol it is just acidic some procent % dunno how much they chouse when they check ur face. So they put your acid to ur face layer full (acid as I remember without color) than you wait 20 min relaxing in dark room after that they come wash your face and add relaxing cream and agaian make room dark u wait 10-20 min they come check everything ok than you go home with applied mask. 1-2 day they recommend you to ran off from sun and apply this Bepanthen.

Good side: Is my skin allways now soft and nice. Bad side I think your skin is not anymore same as before was it is like bit thin... But pores minimized for sure..