Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Me_23

Please explain this medication + Accutane Question

a)

I've been on a second course of Accutane for exactly eight weeks.

I just took my last pill yesterday and am unable to get anymore refills as my prescription has expired.

The only reason I was able to get the second course at all is because the pharmacy allowed me to, prior to having seen my dermatologist.

This leads me to the first part of my question:

b)

I was able to see my dermatologist last week, just as my pills were running out.

He wouldn't prescribe more as he said that they won't be able to do anything more for me and I shouldn't have been taking them the past few weeks.

He said a second course will sometimes work for people who have nodular acne, but my condition cannot be helped by Accutane at this point if it didn't work the first time around.

He told me that no matter what I take, I'm going to have oily skin and have to deal with it.

Than he prescribed me some antibiotics to deal with the acne and help control it a bit.

c)

Is it safe to immediately start taking the antibiotics when I just finnished an 8 week course of Accutane only yesterday evening?

Should I wait a while before putting the antibiotic pills into my system and is there any harm?

d)

Also, I have to admit that I'm not quite sure what was even prescribed and would like your help in explaining exactly what it was that was given to me.

Here's what I picked up from the pharmacy:

- Minocin (50g) - 60 capsules * 1 pill, twice daily.

- Clindasol Cream - Topical acne therapy * local application at bedtime, thin coat.

- Benzamycin - Erythromycin and Benzoyl Peroxide Topical Gel USP (23.3g) - ???

I have no idea what any of this stuff is or what it does and it's purposes are?

Can anyone PLEASE help me understand these prescriptions and what they are used for and what I can expect from them?

Do they seem like a effective alternative to Accutane (which only helped improve my skin, albeit drastically, for 1.5 months at the end of my first 7 month treatment)?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated!!!

I'd like to start taking some of this stuff today if it's possible, since I no longer have the Accutane or anything else to work against my acne. So please respond asap!

Thanks a lot!!!

I just read that there can be some VERY serious effects from taking Minocyclin and Accutane together... loss of vision, brain swelling, etc.

I'm very worried.

I just took my last Accutane pill yesterday evening and had prteviously been on the drug for about 8 weeks at aaprox. 40mg.

When can/should I start taking the minocycline my doctor prescribed?

What is the reccommended/suggested wait period?

When I told him I was still taking Accutan, he told me to please stop immediately and gave me this antibiotic.

Does this mean that it's safe to start right away and I shouldn't worry about side effects?

Doesn't the Accutane remain in your system for weeks?

I'm thinking of possibly waiting until Monday and than starting with this new treatment.

Also, I see that Benzamycin is another topical antibiotic. What's the benefit of taking them both together?

And what the hell is this Clindasol Ive been prescribed?

If Clindasol and Benzamycin are BOTH topicals... how can I possibly use both at the same time?

Layer each over one another??

Well i personally would not take the systemic antibiotic at all. But if you are going to, i'd wait a couple weeks for the isotretinoin to clear your system, since he prescribed a -cyclin. The stuff he is saying about second courses isn't true, he prescribed you two antibiotic topicals but no retinoid... I'd get a different derm if i was you.

Well i personally would not take the systemic antibiotic at all. But if you are going to, i'd wait a couple weeks for the isotretinoin to clear your system, since he prescribed a -cyclin. The stuff he is saying about second courses isn't true, he prescribed you two antibiotic topicals but no retinoid... I'd get a different derm if i was you.

Could you please explain a bit more?

Why should I not take the systemic antibiotic at all?

Would that be the minocin?

Are there any ill effects that I should be weary of?

And could you please expound on the retinoid topic you mentioned above?

I have an appointment with another derm on Tuesday and plan on bringing all my prescriptions in and asking him what his take on all of this is...

Also, why would he have prescribed two antibiotic topicals and are you sure that's what they are or did you just assume from what I posted? Do you know why he would've asked me to use these?

I Googled one of them and it seems to be a form of scar treatment... which I don't have any (I dont think) but perhaps at the time I saw him, I had a lot of red marks and he said something about applying cream so that they dont get infected, etc.

Any further advice would be very appreciated, especially concerning the antibiotic!

Could you please explain a bit more?

Why should I not take the systemic antibiotic at all?

Well, i'm not saying that you shouldn't. I'm saying that i wouldn't. Taking systemic antibiotics for a long period of time such as is required to treat acne has consequences. This is a common approach with dermatologists, and i personally disagree with this approach. Antibiotics are prescribed for their anti-inflammatory effects, but they kill off bacteria indiscriminately - the bad and the good, and when you stop taking the antibiotic the acne returns. Eventually the particular antibiotic you are taking becomes ineffective and they have to switch you to a different one. The only thing they are really useful for in my opinion is temporary clearing - so someone can be clear for a wedding, or to get active acne under control prior to starting an Accutane course to avoid a severe initial breakout for instance.

Would that be the minocin?

Yes.

Are there any ill effects that I should be weary of?

Of particular concern is that it tends to kill off the helpful bacteria which reside in the digestive system, resulting in digestive issues of various kinds. It can also kill off other helpful bacteria, like those which prevent overgrowth of yeast - this is a big deal for women especially. I am very prone to yeast infections after all the antibiotics i have taken, and it seems that when i need an antibiotic for an actual infection it's hard to find one that will work on me. So at this point i will refuse all antibiotics for this purpose, and i don't recommend it to others.

Even topical antibiotics effect the immune system - people who use systemic or topical antibiotics for acne have an increased frequency of upper respiratory infections. But topicals don't cause the effects above, so i would use one while refusing systemics.

And could you please expound on the retinoid topic you mentioned above?

Topical retinoids are very valuable for the treatment of acne. They are able to maintain clear pores or clear clogged ones (although that takes a while) which is the root of acne. They have other benefits due to their effects on the dermis and epidermis - they are often used as anti-aging treatments because they can erase wrinkles and other sun damage, stimulate collagen production, and other happy stuff. They can be irritating so you should work into treatment with them - every third day for awhile, then gradually moving up to every other and finally to usage every day. This gives your skin time to adapt to them and minimizes irritation. I'd ask for Differin, or RetinA-micro. RetinA (not micro) is stronger, with Tazorac being the strongest. I personally use a very mild over the counter retinoid called Green Cream which comes in three strengths (3-6-9) with the highest strength approaching that of a lower strength prescription.

Also, why would he have prescribed two antibiotic topicals and are you sure that's what they are or did you just assume from what I posted? Do you know why he would've asked me to use these?

I don't really know - i'd think one topical antibiotic would be enough. And if you did need two, i wouldn't think that two -cyclins would be especially useful.

All i can say is I have moderately severe acne, ive one through almost everything EXCEPT accutane. the side effects of accutane are fucked and i would not risk that for something that isnt guaranteed to work. But i have now been on an antibiotic called apo doxy or something for about a year, my forehead got better but my chin and jaw and stuff hasnt. now im using clindasol. heres what i do. wash my face with warm water then while its still wet i put St. Ives apricot scrub on and massage on my entire face, then wash it off, dry my face, and apply the clindasol to the affected areas only.

But all the stuff the dermatologist has told you is bullshit. all skin doctors avoid telling people the root causes of acne,

1) Diet (Dairy, Sugars, Caffeine and Alcohol are the main things you should cut down on, and foods that contain fibre, zinc, vitamins a, c, e and b5 and omega 3 fatty acids help.

2) Hormones (its really hard to avoid getting ANY acne during puberty but if your a girl then birth control pills apparently help.)

3) Genetics (If your parents had acne issues in their lifes then chances are you will to. if your parents have oily skin then you probably will too.)

Hope this helped