Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serpent...

scar dysmorphia?

I have many light scarring and some deep scars but I have 2 scar which improved like at first I could not see the bottom skin of the scar but now I could, but when I don't strech the scar, it looks like the earing holes like when you take out your earings. Those scars are near the entrace of my nose hole which make any punch method difficult. I thought to myself "could scars really be 80-90% improved". Having these scars has an impact on me like avoiding going out with friends and rejecting offers to be an extra in a local T.V shows. People says "I think vain of myself" but could you blame me for being so? I'm completely obsess with scars and pretty much my life revolves around it. Acne did not affect me mentally since I always think of it as a temporary setback compared to scars which are permanent. I feel so depressed at times, envy, envy of every good-skinned person I saw. No one gave bad remarks but maybe like "ow what's that on your face" since my scars cast a shadow making it look depthless. I'm really wasting my time on this worthless sadness I've made for myself. Are you having similar experience that you would share with me? Since maybe it would cheer me up thinking I'm not alone.

it definately has had an effect on my psychologically. my mental image of myself is similar to freddy crugar. even though im probably not that bad. i make myself more depressed than i should. i need to learn to accept myself,but i hate myself. so i dunno how.

It's so sad when people just say the simple awful fact "just live with it". Gosh I felt like killing them or maybe then my scars with be acceptable like a killer's acne scars.

The more I read about people with scars, the more frightened I get.

I', currently battleing with acne, so I don't really see my scars properly. I'm just SO scared of what my skin is gonna look like, once I finally get rid of the acne.

Gulp.. :confused:

Honestly you need to do whatever you can to get over the way you are currently feeling, perhaps by a combination of working to reduce the appearance of the existing scars, talking to others about the way you are feeling and forcing yourself to get out and about to do new things. The chances are your scars are worse in your eyes than anyone else's and no-one else will either notice or think any the worse of you for it. Feeling bad about them won't help in the long run and you may end up regretting the time you waste by hiding away. I wish there was some way to make this easy. I personally have some hypertrophic scars with are very evident (one is right between my eyes!) but I am so relieved to be free of acne for the time being that I can't get too depressed about. Anyway - best of luck!

there really isnt much hope for scarring.You have to sort of accept it and live with it just the way someone cannot do anything about height after a certain point.There are procedures you can try but they are very risky you may end up even worse and none of them will totally remove your scarring,you will prob get 50% improvement which wont do much better for your thinking anyway.I wish i had acne without any scarring than post acne scarring, atleast the hope for removing acne is much much higher,its a tough battle with scars and post acne marks-its really hard.

It's amazing how much scars can affect the way we feel about ourselves. I, for example, always knew I had some scars, but never worried about them. Everything changed when one good night my friend and I were talking about skin problems; I took a good look in the mirror and boom! Everything changed within 5 minutes; I lost every single ounce of self confidence I had in the following days. It seems as if everytime I take a look in the mirror there's something I never noticed before. One day I saw the small scars, then the scarred pores, the large pores, the oily skin, the hyperpigmentation left from former acne, etc. Acne never really bothered me because it never got to the point of being severe. Now I really don't do any of the things I enjoyed doing in the past. I stopped going out with my friends, I even stopped chatting; I spend most of my time at home reading. I spend countless hours online reading about procedures, products, etc on how to improve scars and skin conditions. It's just annoying when someone tells you there is nothing wrong with your skin when they are saying this with perfect or nearly perfect skin. Hopefully all the reading I've been doing will somehow help in finding a way to improve things and regain some self confidence.

Serpent...You're not alone. Many of us feel the same way you do, especially when someone with good skin walks by. I believe one day things will be better. Hang in there!

raph: I'm sure the Nightmare on Elm Street guy had way more serious skin problems. There's always two sides to a coin. If there's a negative then there must be some way to find the positive.

Rikke: Good luck with your acne struggle. You are at a stage where you can actually prevent scars. When acne is active there are many ways to prevent scars from forming. Also, remember many scars are actually just darker pigmentation you can get rid off.

JBHK: Thanks for the advice! It actually helps to experience new things and try to improve one's skin conditions. Life is too short to be wasted away by just hiding. Good luck with your treatment!

Thanks for reading everyone!

Eddie

pfffft i disagree, its true u cant rid a scar completely but there are alot of things u can do to get better then 50% or more, u just gotta stick with it, i heard people get like 80%-90% on needling but it takes awhile, i just needled today hoping to see sum improvement

there really isnt much hope for scarring.You have to sort of accept it and live with it just the way someone cannot do anything about height after a certain point.There are procedures you can try but they are very risky you may end up even worse and none of them will totally remove your scarring,you will prob get 50% improvement which wont do much better for your thinking anyway.I wish i had acne without any scarring than post acne scarring, atleast the hope for removing acne is much much higher,its a tough battle with scars and post acne marks-its really hard.

Have u had any treatments done to your face?

I disagree with the 50% figure totally. Obviously if u have craters they will never completely go away. However there is a huge difference in appearance of a scar that has been treated and is no longer disgusting looking from the starting crater. That would make your thinking much better.

I have mild acne scarring that is shortly going to be an afterthought, but believe that anyone can have decent looking skin. Scars are about the worst thing u can get, but they dont have to be permanant. Also treatments are becoming much easier with the Fraxel machines that give comparable results without tearing up the skin or causing other problems. I would say with certainty that in the next few years doctors will be working with the "Fraxel 5 machine" that is even more effective than any resurfacing treatment has been before. With excisions, subcisions, and most importantly resurfacing, scars dont have to remain and consume u.

Have u had any treatments done to your face?

I disagree with the 50% figure totally. Obviously if u have craters they will never completely go away. However there is a huge difference in appearance of a scar that has been treated and is no longer disgusting looking from the starting crater. That would make your thinking much better.

I have mild acne scarring that is shortly going to be an afterthought, but believe that anyone can have decent looking skin. Scars are about the worst thing u can get, but they dont have to be permanant. Also treatments are becoming much easier with the Fraxel machines that give comparable results without tearing up the skin or causing other problems. I would say with certainty that in the next few years doctors will be working with the "Fraxel 5 machine" that is even more effective than any resurfacing treatment has been before. With excisions, subcisions, and most importantly resurfacing, scars dont have to remain and consume u.

Your excision pictures definitely gave me some hope. :dance:

We all need to realize that our acne scars are just one factor in our looks and who we are. I'm 45 years old. I've had acne scarring since I was a teen. I remember not going to parties, not dating and isolating myself because I was so self conscious. It has improved some what through dermabrasion (25yrs ago) and collegen injections. But it's still very noticable. But the amazing thing is I finally ask my husband if he ever notices my scars and he said no (it took me 14 years to have the guts to ask!).! And I believe him! He see's me as a whole person and loves the way I look. I've noticed since I've found this website that I"ve become more obsessed with my scars again and feel depressed just like when I was younger. I'm using this website as a wonderful resource for treatments, but realize that I must keep my perception of myself and my scars in perspective. I'm just saying that we acne scar sufferers have a very distorted view point of ourselvers, just like the person who is suffering from anorexia, she never feels thin enough, we put way too much emphasis on our scars and not on the other qualiities that we have and that people are attracted to.

no i havent,i have done a blue peel which made things worse.But have seen around 20 patients who have done laser resurfacing/Co2 with not too much improvement,read about dermbrasion not helping to much/for some patintes made it worse.So i feel this really isnt a very easy thing to treat.Im not talking about mild acne scarring those can be leveled out with series of many peels but dents.I know of fraxel but didnt read anywhere where they said it improved than maxium of 30-50 % from the actual patients.I think it really depends on people to people and docs.I do hope in the future there is something that can totally get rid of deep scars.Id like to know if someone had over 50% improvement on deep scars,ive heard of surgically removing the scars i dont know much about this though.

no i havent,i have done a blue peel which made things worse.But have seen around 20 patients who have done laser resurfacing/Co2 with not too much improvement,read about dermbrasion not helping to much/for some patintes made it worse.So i feel this really isnt a very easy thing to treat.Im not talking about mild acne scarring those can be leveled out with series of many peels but dents.I know of fraxel but didnt read anywhere where they said it improved than maxium of 30-50 % from the actual patients.I think it really depends on people to people and docs.I do hope in the future there is something that can totally get rid of deep scars.Id like to know if someone had over 50% improvement on deep scars,ive heard of surgically removing the scars i dont know much about this though.

U are Indian right? Your name I just figured. U would not be a candidate for lasers or dermabrasion then so scar revision and fraxel are the choices. Surgically removing ice picks scars are honesty a piece of cake if u can stand having stitches in for a week and then wearing a steristrip over the areas for another. Just cutting the scar out and carefully stitching it back together. The subcisions were even easier. just cut under and the scar improves by 50% for most people some much more. The subcision is mainly for rolling, but I did it on 3 ice picks and significantly improved them. There are treatments for any case of scarring, jsut have to find the right treatment. best wishes

We all need to realize that our acne scars are just one factor in our looks and who we are. I'm 45 years old. I've had acne scarring since I was a teen. I remember not going to parties, not dating and isolating myself because I was so self conscious. It has improved some what through dermabrasion (25yrs ago) and collegen injections. But it's still very noticable. But the amazing thing is I finally ask my husband if he ever notices my scars and he said no (it took me 14 years to have the guts to ask!).! And I believe him! He see's me as a whole person and loves the way I look. I've noticed since I've found this website that I"ve become more obsessed with my scars again and feel depressed just like when I was younger. I'm using this website as a wonderful resource for treatments, but realize that I must keep my perception of myself and my scars in perspective. I'm just saying that we acne scar sufferers have a very distorted view point of ourselvers, just like the person who is suffering from anorexia, she never feels thin enough, we put way too much emphasis on our scars and not on the other qualiities that we have and that people are attracted to.

I think this is a very well written post and sums up alot of what I have been thinking. I enjoy the site and the info on it but I think sometimes we can get our problems totally out of perspective when we congregate here ... I know a couple of people in my current circle of acquaintances that have what I see as very bad acne scarring. I don't know how they feel about it, but it certainly doesn't seem to stop them from getting out and about, meeting people and enjoying life!

I admire those with worst scars than me but live life to the fullest and still proud of themselves. Sadly I'm not one of them.

@sheryllynn

Thanks for kicking some sense into my brain.

I dont think it's as much as about how others look at you but a part of yourself you just lost. It's like when you get in a frienship ending fight with a friend, even when you try to patch things up, the relationship will never be the same. I don't remember the person I was before the acne/scars. Sometimes I watch old home videos and cant believe that the loud kid poking his face in front of the camera every two seconds is me. I don't remember that person. I dont remember not thinking about them all the time when I went outside or was in bright light. I dont remember what it was like not looking in the mirror all the damn time. I dont remember the feeling of being a free spirit, having a normal state of mind, and oftentimes I think I am crazy because I have never obsessed over anything before. Here i am in my mid 20s spending my free time trying to find out ways to get rid of these scars when I could be doing anything else. If you had asked me what my life would be like when i was 13 I would never have imagined that I would have to be dealing with something that's mostly an adolescent problem well past my adolesence. I was such a typical male before and now I spend my free time reading about cosmetic dermatology in desperation to get rid of these scars. I know more about this subject than I ever want to. Its tough on your psychology, tough on everything, but I guess the alternative is doing nothing which I'm not willing to do. It's funny because I always ask myself if I didnt have one scar tomorrow, would life be good again? I'm not sure what the answer is to that question but I sure would love to be the person I once was again.

@doggydogg

You've just explained the reason why I was obsess about scars in the first place. I also remember those days where acne and scar would be far away from my mind and never had to worry about painful acne and those disgusting scars. Comparing myself to the good old days will definitely not help me at all, making me more depressed. We all had near flawless skin at one point in our lives, I just wish those days would return to me once more.

I think we do need to keep the scars in perspective as well and not let ourselves get too obsessed with them. Everyone does have flaws, atleast the majority, and we all still have to live life and realize we can still have a fulfilling life. I was devastated when I first got my scars, I had to kind of mourn for my skin, even though I always remember hating my skin from constant minor outbreaks. I realize now I took it for granted alot. However, now even though they are still bad to me I have somewhat accepted that it hasn't ruined my life and people generally treat me the same. I can cover it better with makeup now but I still would really like to rid myself of them. However, I know if something worse were to happen to me in life, I would look back at myself now and think why didn't I just live it up and enjoy myself then, look how good my life was.. etc. I can see myself in just 10 more years probably having wrinkles and a bit of saggy skin thinking wow, I was pretty hot at 31! I've really tried to think practically about this whole scarring thing and not let myself get focused on perfection because I think it's overrated. If we all had perfect mental health we would be a lot happier than with perfect skin after all. I'm sure I'll never have either but am learning to laugh at it more :lol:

Im with been13 years. I was freakin 23 and thought acne was nothing till last year.

It was hard to see nasty scars on my face and have no control over any of it. I am gonna stop treatments and things once the fraxels are done and then move on with my old face again. Just gotta fight it and get the right procedures done by the right doctors.

I am still pretty social and dont hate the world. I did get angry, depressed, and very anxious over possible future outbreaks and continued scars. Thank christ accutane and the scar surgeries I had worked great.

Hope u all fix your scars and live productive lives.

good ole scar dysmorphia i almost forgot about you ....at some angles my face just looks like pizza cheese and i hate it i dont kno if it looks as bad as i perceive it and honestly i dont ask ...

It's funny how acne scars can become all consuming. I have a great job, a great husband(just got married 2months ago), pretty healthy and all but still I find myself up in the middle of the night checking the mirror, going online to research the latest treatments, etc.etc...I never have a conversation with someone without thinking how my face must look to them.

I am 33 and have had acne for 17 years, so you can imaging the damage. Of course we have good days and bad days as far as our skin. I do think there are treatments out there that can help us, as other people have eluded to, you just have to keep searching to find the right one. This hope is the only thing that keeps me going day to day. Good luck to all of us! :angel: