Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soadfan1

Eating against Acne!?

Recently I have been putting myself on a sepcific diet in order to hopefully improve my skin tone as well as attempt to prevent breakouts.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea and what else I should eat or do please.

I eat a lot of cold meat, a lot of it is quite fatty meet, mostly pork, tongue, haslet, ham etc.

With the cold meat I have 1 cucumber, 2 or 3 red bell peppers, carrots, 2 apples.

I make sure to drink about 2 litres of water a day

Strawberries..usually 2 punnets a week. and Kiwis for Vitamin C

Basically I dont cut down on my fatty meat intake but I do eat tons of fruit and veg alongside it.

Can fatty meat cause acne?

I will eat around 4 chocolate bars a week.

Whats your opinions on this kind of diet?

-Rob

I thikn that if diet seems to affect your skin then go for it!

trying a certain diet and switching things around until you find something that seems to work sounds like a good idea.

I think it is a great idea and if it does not work the worst outcome is that you have eaten healthy food.

To answer your question if fatty meat can aggravate acne, I found this on www.acne-wise.com. Hope it helps

Acne and Protein Intake

Testosterone is converted to a more potent form called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase. Acne patients show an increase activity of this enzyme resulting in more potent androgens to cause more oil production and clogging of pores.

Acne diet tip: By maintaining a higher intake of protein in relation to carbohydrates you reduce the activity of 5 alpha reductase and thus the formation of the more potent DHT. Avoid consuming carbohydrates which total more than 60 to 70% of your diet and keep your protein intake about 40 to 45%.

Hey Rob,

Your diet seems alright other than the chocolate. My face recovers for weeks from a chocolate bar so try to eliminate the chocolate/sugar and see if you see a bigger difference in your skin.

As for meat I only eat lean white meat so I'm not sure about the affects of lets say a fat filled steak.

Most of the time I can manage without chocolate so I will try eliminating it completely.

I do eat lots of meat and some of it is fatty, but I hope that balancing it out with generaous amounts of fruit and veg will help.

Meat wise I might eat say 15 slices of pork or ham.

On average I would eat fruit and veg wise per day

1 cucumber

2 bell peppers

2 apples

1 box of strawberries

Some celery or Tomatoes.

Plus as I said about 2 litres of mineral water a day.

Its not just to prevent spots but it also is supposed to make your skin look healthier in general with its tone.

-Rob

I'm assuming you eat the fatty meats because you really enjoy them. I think it's a possible indicator that you thrive on foods high in protein (hell, you even eat tongue), just like myself. I actually stay clear from red meats as my primary source of food. I also eat low-carb vegetables, such as celery and spinach, and small amounts of fruit. I don't eat any grains period.

Of course, my problem isn't really acne at all anymore but simply a matter of healing my skin, since I have quite a few redmarks left from old breakouts from BP (when I used to use topicals). I even had a small acne scar that's actually vanished - and when I say vanished, I mean it had already "healed" in the way scars do - my skin had grafted, and skin borne out of a healed scar looks much different than the rest of your skin. Now, however, there simply isn't a scar there in any way. Obviously there's no way to know for sure if it was due completely to diet, but I'd had this scar since March.

But yeah, definitely stop eating the chocolate. Sugars -> insulin level spike -> acne.

Try to avoid to much meat. Meat= Acid! Acid= Impure blood=....well...you know....

I loved meat too...but I had to cut it down, as much as I could. I still couldn't live with 0% meat though

from my experience I feel like unless you eat mostly raw foods, diet will have little to no effect on your acne.. The headache of eating healthy would not be worth the difference, at least for me.. If I were to eat extremely healthy.. eating a little fish, brown rice and steamed vegetables, I will have 6-10 pimples around my chin/under mouth alone.. along with plenty of other breakouts, If I eat whatever I want the effect is a little bit worse.. but horrible looking acne is pretty much the same as really horrible looking acne.. When I eat a 100% raw diet I get a tiny pimple every 3-5 days.. big woop. I will be posting my before and after raw diet photos.. The pictures are spaced as follows. day 2 of raw diet, showing previous breakouts, day 3, inflammations dying down.. day 4.. same.. day 8. clear.. I will include food ideas... PS>> I am gaining weight while following this diet... yep.. look for it soon, can't find the cable to connect my camera to the computer.. cleaning my room soon.

Try sticking to your "new" routine for a month of so....you won't see any substantial results before then.

Try sticking to your "new" routine for a month of so....you won't see any substantial results before then.

with a raw food diet i notice results immediately.. pimple start subsiding and few pimples form, wouldn't this be the same for any diet that is supposedly beneficial for acne??

with a raw food diet i notice results immediately.. pimple start subsiding and few pimples form, wouldn't this be the same for any diet that is supposedly beneficial for acne??

No

Thanks guys, I will keep on with my eating plentiful amounts of fruit and veg and see how things go.

As a matter of fact my skin has recently gotten a lot better BUT I have started using a moisturising wipe, even though it contains alcohol and some people say thats not good. They are Garnier face cleansing wipes, with zinc. I find they make my face a lot shinier, although I do seem to have an oily layer in the evenings, which I promptly wash off. Ive been trying to upload decent pics on here but I cant seem to seems my digicams file size pics are wrong :(

http://www.mingleville.com/soadfan1/pics/id-674563_view.html

There is a direct link to a picture of me, its on an OK day for me, bear in mind I do suffer from acne dysmorphia before anyone thinks that Im vain because I dont have the terrible acne some do

-Rob

Acne diet tip: By maintaining a higher intake of protein in relation to carbohydrates you reduce the activity of 5 alpha reductase and thus the formation of the more potent DHT. Avoid consuming carbohydrates which total more than 60 to 70% of your diet and keep your protein intake about 40 to 45%.

This doesn't sound like a good advice

Let's say carbs are kept under 60% so ... 55% and protein are at least 40%

You would have a diet that is 5% fat !

Even with lower carbohydrate like 40% and 45% protein ...

you would have 15% fat

Protein shouldn't be consumed in excess because they're useless

Even if you want being exaggerated you can consume up to 1g per lb of body weight and this would result in maximum a 25% protein diet if you're not following a hypocaloric diet to lose weight

On the other hand all that useless protein keep fat intake very low and more fat is more important than more protein. Low fat diet of whatever kind don't work very well and whatever theory of nutrition contemplates an high fat food we were suppused to eat as a staple be it avocados, nuts, seeds, organs, fatty fish, butter

When restricting carbohydrates it is a good idea to substitute fat for the carbs

Substituting protein for the carbs is not a good idea and doesn't result in a good or nutritious diet

No

fag.

No

fag.

WHy? He concisely answered your question.

he didn't explain what he meant, and was most likely wrong and he's a useless moron and apparently a fag too.

No