Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone really know if splenda contributes to acne?

I drink this flavored water like "grape aquafina" sweetened with splenda.

I drink it alot other flavors too.

0 calories, pure water with a hint of flavor, and mildly sweetened with Splenda.

Thinking back, I was clear prior to this but could just be a coincidence.

Does anyone know for sure????

Hmm...that's a new one Jodie - you got me there! I use Splenda too. Whaddaya say we lay off the Splenda for a month, report back, and let one another know how we did! :lol:

Love to! I am so addicted to this water though........I am almost out - 5 bottles left, and then maybe try just water, or water with that pure unsweetened cranberry juice that you get at healthfood stores and just add a little.

Yeah I think I will try it starting in a couple days.

Then I will report back in a week or 2 on this, good idea!!!

Alright girl, I am IN. I usually put it in my coffee, but I shall henceforth cease and desist (or de-cyst - haha! get it?? :w00t: ) as of tomorrow morning.

Another member was talking about Splenda in the Diet forum and how people who never had acne before started breaking out when consuming splenda. It's worth a shot giving it up. Plus, it's being linked with a lot of health issues so it's a good to cut it out for your general health as well.

OK, slight setback!! To be nice, someone brought me a cup of coffee this morning with a third of a packet of Splenda in it cuz they know that's how I like it. So I threw the hot coffee in their face and screamed "GET THIS **** OUT OF HERE"!!!!!!!

No wait, that's not what happened...

Someone did bring me coffee, and I'm going to go ahead and drink it since they were sweet enough to bring it, but I told them I'll be swearing off Splenda for awhile!!

So TOMORROW I shall begin the boycott...

I drank plain bottled water today, had no splenda!!

I think it will take time to see results, but I am now going off it for 2 months to see how my skin does.

If it makes a difference in that time, I will stay away from it. As I did aspertame.

If I wan't sweetened coffee I use sugar, and drink the odd soda, not diet.

If weight concern is an issue, just cut back on something else.

I do believe sugar (just not alot) is not as bad as the substitutes.

Dairy is bad for my skin, but cream in my coffee is OK, because it is not alot, and not alot at once.

So I shall see what happens after a month or 2. I will keep you posted. :)

OK, I've been off Spenda ever since Sept 15, so about a week now. I've done some other things differently since then too.

-Started using mineral make-up instead of liquid

-Started using Salicylic acid products instead of Benzoyl Peroxide

-Started taking birth control yesterday

I'll let you know how it goes! (As a side note, my skin is reacting REALLY well to salicylic acid. Some people hate it, but so far I like it alot)

How are you doing? :angel:

No Splenda since Sept.14. :)

I use BP and a moisturizer with 2% Salyicylic acid and zinc in it.

Oh and I ordered that "Green cream" every one was raving on here about.

I use that at night plust the Moisturizer with the Salyiclic Acid in it. (Just spot treat oily areas with BP during the day.) Makes your skin real nice.

I see an improvement as I think Splenda was the worst culprit, like I quit Aspartame a while ago before Splenda and that definately broke me out!!

I use dermablend concealer on a few tiny areas, and Jane Iredales mineral Powder foundation all over.

Mineral stuff is good!

Good to see you are doing well!

Stay in touch :D

Read up on Splenda. That stuff is poison! Artificial sweeteners are widely known to be poisonous though, which is a good thing. I'm glad that people are aware of that much.

Now I'm waiting for you guys to discover organic food. ;)

LOL - thanks James, I can proudly say that I am all about organic food too! (except Spinach until the E coli thing blows over)

Jodie, glad you're doing well too girl! We'll meet back here soon... :dance:

If u guys cut out Splenda I would reccommend Stevia as ur non calorie sweetener. It's natural and really sweet, not all chemicals. www.stevia.net is their website.

Don't think Splenda would make acne flare up. Some people are just acne-prone (genetically). I have had problems with moderate acne before Splenda was even invented. I do avoid soda (all carbonated drinks for that matter), so maybe just limiting your sugar intake would be beneficial.

Well Jodie ( or Betty-Boop or whoever you are :D ), I can actually say that since we gave up Splenda I have quit breaking out. Of course since that time I have also quit the CSR, started on Glycolic products, and started BC again, so it could be any one of those things, but why don't we just say it's the Splenda and call it a day. Haha...how are you doing?

Well since giving up Splenda, not even having the odd diet coke with aspertame either, I can honestly say things are alot better. And I have not changed my skin regimen. I do get tiny whiteheads because I have oily skin, but they go away quick, and I have not broken out like before.

So my skin is kinda back to where it was before Splenda.

Just when those yummy 0 cal flavored waters came out I was drinking them like crazy, and had bad breakouts on my chin, went on antibiotics for it and all. Now nothing like it!!

So I do blame the Splenda for me, because I never really used it before that, not much at all.

Oh yes, also just before the big breakout, I bought a box of packets and used them in my tea.

The flavored water made me think to buy it, then a few weeks later I broke out.

Now I am back to the way I was before, thank goodness.

Glad you are better off too!!!!!

Hey Betty - how's the Splenda boycott coming along? All is well here. I've had 2 diet cokes in the last 5 weeks, but that's IT. I'm pretty clear with the exception of occasional spot on my jaw which has always been my problem area.

Hey how is that Benz-oil working for you??

Hey Betty - how's the Splenda boycott coming along? All is well here. I've had 2 diet cokes in the last 5 weeks, but that's IT. I'm pretty clear with the exception of occasional spot on my jaw which has always been my problem area.

Hey how is that Benz-oil working for you??

Great! I too have had a few diet pops, but with aspartame. I know it is not good for you, but apparantly splenda is just as bad too. I have 1 per/week or someting. If that. I would rather have a regular soda, but that is all I had in the house at the time.

The benz-oil was working great, like deeper or something! I love it.

I cant use it for about 10 days now cause I got a microlaser peel yesterday. I guess every little bit chipping away will hopefully improve things. I never believe I can get rid of every split pore, or the odd shallow mark, but I have noticed lately alot of people have a few minor spots. That would be good enough for me.

I may have another one in the new year, they look like crap after being done, but are not that deep.

They heal quite quick. (5 days or so).

Yah I get the odd zit here or there, the BP zaps it quite quick, and really keeps hardly any from coming. Just the odd few.

Good for you! I guess we found the major source of it all, and now have to deal with a few, not a bunch!!!