Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THX

My scars are fading :)

I've been on retin-a for about 3 months now and im starting to really not notice a lot of my scars. They have fade in size and depth. Its really great actually smile.gif

I no longer have really what people would call indented scarring, just shallow scars and the shallow scars I had before have become a lot smaller too.

THX,

That is really awesome news. I'm sure you're thrilled beyond belief. I still have a tube of Retin-A micro, but too scared to use it. I had used it for about a week and noticed some pores got larger and I started breaking out. ](*,)

But I know different methods work for certain people. And I am glad you found something that is helping you! smile.gif

Same thing with me, although I use the copper peptides also. Retin A has worked incredibly well for me at reducing and erasing scars.....(ofcourse I've done other things as well), but Retin A is great for anyone who can tolerate it!

I'm excited and glad that it's working for you!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Good job!

By the way- is there an expiration on Retin-A?

I found an older tube (like expired last year)...but I threw it away.

Thanks for all the nice comments smile.gif

Obi: My retin-a tube expires in december 2005 and I bought it in mid september.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I should've said-

CAN we still use the retin-a if it's expired? (guess the answer would've been no...that's the purpose of expiration date, but just curious wink.gif )

I am dying to try Retina-A but I am nervous that it will break me out - what kind or variation will be the least likely to break me out? and what stregnth are y'all using?

Thanks!

Yeah I guess its no good if its passed the expiration date smile.gif

FromChicago: It's hard to say, but my left cheek (my worst side), I would say i've seen a 60% improvement. I used to have these 2 semi-deep indents each about | | in size, now they are no more (not even a small shallow scar). Although I have a few icepick scars and dont seem to be improving, all other forms of scaring have been getting progressively better. Im sort of at the point where if someone were to look at my face, they might say there is something a bit odd about my skin, but cant pin-point it. The 'odd' part is: Where I used to have indents, I have these little superficial scars... they are sort of hard to explain. I seem to have this outline type of scar where my indent used to be. But they are really not noticable.

MartyTheres: I had mild/severe acne but have been using the mildest form of Retin-a (steivamycin mild is what the product is called) because of my very fair skin. I did not experience any breakout when I first started using it. Im probably going to move up a notch in strengh because 1) I hope it will reduce my ice pick scars 2) My acne has been greatly reduced, but I still have atleast mild acne so I want to get rid of it smile.gif

I would like to add some input here if I may - I've been reading Dr Perricone's new Acne book ... he says that retin-a is more suitable for teenage acne, especially for people with oily skin - BUT in mature adults (25 plus of age), it tends to harm more than cure - becasue our skin gets drier as we get older.

So, if you have oily skin - retin-a is more effective but if your skin is dry/nromal then it can be pro-inflammatory and cause you to break out.

I myself experience too much dryness with retin-a (I am 40) and it does make me break out a little.

After 2 months of using isotretinoin, my red scars have faded a lot.I've only been using it for 1 hour /night.

My pitted scars are now shallow. I also had subcision and 2 n lites during this time.

My pores were finer before.So maybe the isotretinoin has made them more visible. I'm not sure.

My skin looks clearer. But there is some dryness due to this product (I don't use a moisturiser at night).

I noticed that if I leave it on longer than an hour,it can cause a lot of dryness and even a pimple.

BTW does anyone know if retin a micro contains alcohol? Isotrex contains alcohol which I know can sensitise my skin.

I'm considering replacing it with mandelic acid due to the dryness.

Maya, does mandelic acid cause as much dryness?

BTW ,I'm 34 and I had combination/normal skin.

hey all, thats great hearing all of these successful results people are getting..congratulations! ive also been on retin-a micro for quite some time, i was on regular retin-a 0.01 gel when i first started my derm. visits and i have to say the micro is much better for my skin...i've noticed dramatic improvement in my scarring in such little time it is amazing! i've used the lemon/vinegar method also...wow, the results are getting better and better..ive used it for about 2 weeks now and already i have a much greater texture and im just watching more and more of my scars fade day by day biggrin.gif also im getting a laser treatment soon w/ some peels that should in ship shape condition...my derms always told me that my scarring was very minor, a few even said my scarring was so shallow that i could get back to flawless condition with the right treatments =D>

discomboongulated,

ive also been on retin-a micro for quite some time, i was on regular retin-a 0.01 gel when i first started my derm. visits and i have to say the micro is much better for my skin...i've noticed dramatic improvement in my scarring in such little time it is amazing! i've used the lemon/vinegar method also...wow, the results are getting better and better

And as for Retin-A, the first reaction ISto break out. You break out first, but it goes away and thee most important thing is to ENSURE you were given the Rightstrength for your skin type. It is amazing stuff. Does work. There's a moisterizer that is suppose to go with it. Ask your doc.

Glad to hear Retin-A working for other people. Myself as well is very glad I used Retin-A instead of going on to Accutane. I have been using Retin-A for 9 months now, and I have seen a 90% improvement on acne and scar.

I remember when I had acne, I was prescribed retin-a. For awhile it seemed to be doing alright. I was using the cream, .025. Then the doctor moved me up to the .1 retin-a micro, which I was very happy about at the time because I wanted something stronger. It turned out, however, that it broke me out pretty badly and gave me cysts from which I am still recovering from today because they ended up being scars. After hearing all the success stories, however, I want to try it only on my scars to see if it helps...

BTW does anyone know if retin a micro contains alcohol? Isotrex contains alcohol which I know can sensitise my skin.

I'm considering replacing it with mandelic acid due to the dryness.

Maya, does mandelic acid cause as much dryness?

Prescription, but it is quite easy to get. Just ask your doc for it, its not like accutane where a health risk is present.

Hey all...

Just wanted to share: I was told to not use any sort of moisturizer while starting out on retin-a micro -- apparently, it interferes with the process of getting your skin used to the medicine. Also, it would slow down the skin renewal process, which it would seem is pretty important if you're using it to correct scarring.

Maya -- I'm surprised that Perricone recommends against non-teenagers using retin-a -- I've heard it's supposed to be great for it's anti-aging benefits on older skin (hence the reason why insurance companies are sometimes a pain in the butt about covering it...).

I just started on it, so I'm really excited that people have been getting such great results with it! biggrin.gif/

-kristin

hey !

i would like to know how much often do you use retin a? i only use once a week at night and it is mixed with hydroquinone 5%. And how strong is the retin a? I use Retin A 1 and i think this is quite strong since next morning it is like a bad sun burn however my skin even though just 4 times i used it seems to be getting used to it. Me too i seem to notice improvements.Maybe the scars(i only have on my left jawline) seem to get softer and only bother me a lot when i shave.Retin a seems to soften the skin.At first it looks dry and scars look worse but then once i peel better skin and a better softer appearance is noted

Hi All,

I'm happy to hear all the good results.

I'm planning to use 30% Glycholic peel.

But my only concern is the color of my skin.

I'm from South Asia(brown skin).

Do you'll think that I will have pigment issues?

Also , what about using Retin-A on colored skin.

I would greatly appreciate your advice/ideas.

I hope in about 3-5 years there will be solid cures for

acne scars. Then all of us can lead normal lifes.

I've heard Isreal and India have begun a joint research program

for acne/scars.

Thanks.

Tazorac, also a vitamin-A derivative cream is better than retin-A. I switched to tazorac a little over a year ago.