Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bornunderabadsign

Questions for patients of Dr. Rapaport & his results

Just want to hear from anybody who has been to dr rap once or several times for his treatments. How there results are coming along and what they got done to get thos results. Ive been saving up money for over a year to go there and I'm finally within about 1 to 2 months away from going. I need some positive news because I've been extra down lately and it helps a tiny little bit. You can e-mail me if you like or respond by post I dont care.

I had an appointment with Dr. Rapaport this morning and he seemed like a very straightforward and nice guy. However, he turned me away for treatment. He said that since I told him that my scars (which are shallow) did not respond to two previous rounds of subcision in the 1990s (with Dr. Robert Orentreich in NYC) he saw no need to try the subcision again on me. At first, his patient counselor was advocating subscision followed by N-Lite for me. But Dr. Rapaport nixed that plan. Anyway, he was very honest with me and told me that I should just wait until Artecoll is approved by the FDA, hopefully some time next year, and then come back to him and get that done. I was in there for about an hour today (mostly talking to his patient counselor before Dr. Rapaport came in), and I wasn't charged anything for the visit! That was surprising...and pretty impressive, I thought.

Even though I was very pleased with Dr. Rapaport's ethics and honesty I must say I am STILL feeling bad right now. I mean, to be turned away by a doctor...even if he IS trying to save me money and keep me from getting treatments that might not work. I can't help it, but a part of me keeps thinking that there ISN'T any help out there for me....

One other thing...both Dr. Rapaport and his assistant told me, in no uncertain terms, that skin scarred by acne (no matter how mild the scarring is) can NEVER be corrected to the point where it can look as good as it did before. I didn't---nor do I want---to hear that, but I guess it's true?? I guess I have no business thinking, or believing otherwise, do I? It's just so hard to take sometimes. Man, sometimes I HATE the little-boy that's still inside me who thinks that if you want something badly enough, it will come true...

Anyway, I hope Dr. Rapaport can do something to help you. He was a nice, honest guy. He just can't help me---at least not at this time.

John

Hi Johnery,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I can definitely relate. Please dont believe anyone that tells you your scars cannot be corrected completely. There are so many new treatments coming out all of the time. I really dont think these derms have the right to give us false hope. Even though they are trying to helps us see reality, they are in turn not helping us at all. How can they tell us that there will never be a treatment that wont make our scars perfect? THEY CANT!

The fact is that most of us would be very happy if our scars were improved dramatically not perfectly so...please dont get your hopes up. Keep trying and eventually you will find something that works for you.

Although we all get very down at times we have to remember never to give up.

Thank you, Lisa. That did make me feel a lot better and I really appreciate it. No, I won't give up. I'm an idealist but I am practical, too. I know in my bones that the answer for all of us is somewhere not too far down the road. I keep thinking that if I could just get to Dr. Adrianna Scheibner in Australia that she's the one who holds the key to all of this... When I mentioned her to Dr. Rapaport he said that he had heard of her but he didn't seem too keen on her use of the CO2 laser (even though it's settings have been carefully "tweaked" by her for maximum benefit, and safety). Rapaport's not a believer in Smoothbeam, either. All these differing opinions get confusing at times! It's like walking through a minefield...it's almost like there's no ONE answer for any of us and it also feels like a crap game at times. Almost like a roll of the dice. Oh, well, what's the saying..."An educated consumer is our best customer"? I guess it's back to trying to learn some more, for ME! Thanks again, Lisa-

John

First off thanks for the reply Johnnery though its not what I needed to hear. Thats really bad news to hear you got turned away. If you ask me its unacceptable. I mean he should do something to atleast make the year you will be waiting less painfull. That stinks. I see things on TV where they can pretty much give you a new body part and this guy cant do something for you? unreal. I thought the tca spot treatment was for shallow scars? He did not mention that I guess? What kind of scars do you have? He told me I would be getting tca spot treatment included with other treatments because 90% of my scaring is large pore scars. Its funny he said acne scared skin can never be corrected back to normal yet the two photo's on his website show to guys who got there skin put back to normal. Maybe he says that because most of his work doesn't come out that good or he's just full of it. What do you know about Artecoll? Any info on that would be appreciated.

bornunderabadsign, yeah...it does suck because I can't help but feel like I'm beyond help and that this was Dr. Rapaport's way of telling me so. Now, of course, that's just totally paranoid and ridiculous on my part--because he never said that--but that's the typical kind of negative emotional response I experience from having these damn acne scars. He described them as the type of flat, shallow scars some people get from a dermabrasion (which I did have done some years back).

Regarding Artecoll...I'll do some research on it and I'll post whatever I find out, for you and anyone else here who's interested.

Well, after yesterday's "rejection" (ha) I decided if a doctor can't help me at this particular time then I'm going to be proactive and start using some of the topical scar-healing treatments that others here have been touting so highly. In the past, I haven't been a great believer in topical treatments (I can't tell you how many "oil control" products I've bought in the past that never controlled even one drop of oil) but I'll give it another try. I am ALWAYS willing to give it another try...

So, I have just ordered the following: MANDELIC ACID

A KIT OF 20 LACTIC ACID PEELS (I can't use Glycolics because they make me red and itchy)

PURE DEMING INTENSE GEL (without the Vitamin C)

And, after being off them for some time, I'm going to reorder Dr. Pickart's EXFOL SERUM and SUPER CP SERUM.

I'm also currently doing the apple cider vinegar "face bath" each night and drinking a lot of lemon water. Oh, and I'm trying to stick with Perricone's diet, too...but it's pretty impossible! =; HA!

So, maybe since Dr. Rapaport feels he can't help me at this time, I can help MYSELF. Even if only a little. (I know a lot of people here also tout the benefits of EMU OIL but I'm sorry I just can't bring myself to order that. I have this huge, ingrained aversion to putting any kind of OIL on my face. To me, it's like inviting my skin to break out. Old beliefs die hard, I know, and I can't seem to get past this one! [-(

Does anyone think the above regimen I'm starting sounds like it will help me...at least a little? Is it pretty comprehensive? Am I leaving anything crucial out?

I've got to do this because if I just took what the doctor said to me yesterday and didn't try to do something for myself I would sink into a pretty bad depression and I don't want to go there right now...

Still think a lot about MarcSheep and still wishing him and his family peace...

Okay, thanks. I did attempt to pursue needling about two months ago. I emailed Shotsie's Tattoo on Rt. 23 in Wayne, NJ (Shotsie is supposedly very well-known in the industry and he's done a lot of tattoos on Cher), but he never responded to my request for information on needling.

For anyone who posts here who's from northern NJ...can someone recommend a practitioner of needling in this area? I'll travel anywhere within the state to find someone who is an expert in this treatment. Thanks.

imbue, great site and I'm almost ready to call them for an appointment. Have you had needling done at Frank's? Were you satisfied? Do the people there seem highly skilled? Maybe if I do needling and use the topicals, it will help get me through until next year (or whenever a foolproof treatment becomes available for all of us).

I havn't had needling yet but I've talked to Frank and he has posted here in the needling htread under transitions. Give him a call and you can tell him I sent you and it was here you leanred of him, if you like.

Johnnery I completely understand what you mean about having to do something rather then nothing. I dont have much luck with topical products at all. They help keep me from breaking out but do nothing for scars. Scars need drastic methods done for improvement in my opinion. Something that really digs in. I dont have much faith in topical treatments though I still try them because like you doing something feels better then doing nothing. But I wont give up hope. And I know how people say dont expect to much as far as results but I say damn that because I set my hopes high. If I set my hopes low I'll be satisfied with any results. And I wont be. I'll keep spending money and doing what I must to help my life. Its worth it. I'll definatly be interested to see any info on that artecoll. And I personaly think your regimen is great. Thats making a big effort rather then sitting around doing nothing.

Thanks, bornunderabadsign, but I really feel like I have no choice but to try these new topicals. Dr. Rapaport's quick dismissal of me really made my head spin at first; like,"what just happened?" But I rebounded right away with the idea that I would buy the topicals...use them for a few weeks...and then maybe get some needling done after that. From there, I'll gauge my results and then just go on from there. It's not MY choice; I would prefer to put my treatment in the hands of a doctor. But for some reason, it just doesn't seem to be possible right now.

I'm not even going to try to get in to see another dermatologist for a while because I've always heard that Rapaport's the best in NJ and if he doesn't have anything in his arsenal of treatments that he thinks will help me, why should I even bother going to another doctor?

What's your regimen like, and is it helping?

Thanks-

John

Johnnery if you can wait for Rapaport I dont blame you. He's supposed to betop notch in his field. I even seen him on a commercial. So he must be getting big time. I think its good you do the needling, not that Ive done it but its more stringent then just going with topical stuff and gives you a better chance at results. My regimen is a work in progress. I have gotten to the brink with this. I am getting much more serious now about trying things. I quit smoking after 10 years. I basicly use glycolic acid cream twice a day with face wash before and that copper peptide. I had been using proactiv for months before that. I take source of life vitamins 4 tablets a day, 2 flax seed oil tablets a day. I'm trying to eat much healthier, more fruit and vegtables, lots of water. I do believe it helps. Listen, my scars and large pore scars are the same every day, I even will get more large pore scars quite often as more just come in. But it definatly doesn't hurt, and thats how it helps. And getting skin treatments done I believe the skin will only heal better doing all you can to take care of your skin. But my skin is not the worst in the world but its very damaged and needs help more then just topical and diet.