Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

Facial extractions before accutane?

Guest ThereIsHope

I keep hearing on these boards about facial extractions where the derm basically "cleans" out your skin. If you had them do this several times before going on tane, would your IB be alot less severe since there is less "gunk" in yout face to surface?? Has anyone done this with good results??

Also, how much does it cost to have them do this, and does it reeeaally help? It seems just like picking at your face only picking at it makes it worse......

I went for facials for 3 weeks in a row prior to Accutane. My skin was really bad, breaking out on my chin, cheeks, jawline and some on my forehead. After 3 treatments my skin looked so much better that I was worried I wouldn't get Accutane from my derm! My skin texture was amazing -- smooth and very soft.

I did get the Accutane and am on day 13. I've decided to keep up with the weekly facials for now, but that may change as I get deeper into the Accutane treatment. I've had 2 facials since I've been on Accutane, both with the same amazing results. They hydrate my skin and they clean out the "gunk" in a professional way so that I don't worry about scarring.

It's a big commitment -- time and money. I'm lucky that I have a friend that is an aesthetician and has been in the business for 25 years. I trust her and she knows what she is doing. As well, my derm's office has aestheticians on staff. Imagine that! So, once a month I can get a facial in my derm's office and my insurance covers it.

I'm not worried about a bad IB, as these facials will help eliminate that completely or at least clear it out so that I'm only broken out for a day or so rather than a long time. I truly think it's worth the time and money and that your skin will thank you for it in the long run.

Guest ThereIsHope

Wow! I might just have to try that! I'm dddyyyyiiinnnnggg for accutane, but I can barely stand the thought of breaking out even worse without having a near panic attack. :(

Does your insurance not cover it if you do them weekly? Also, how much do they cost if insurance doesn't cover it???

Hi there. I'm a 23 year old female with moderate persistent acne. I got tired of acne and decided to go ahead with accutane. I started a very low dose -10mg a day-two weeks ago. My dermatologist is fantastic. She recommended that I do extractions in addition to blue light laser which kills bacteria on the skin. So far, my skin has been clearing up very fast aside from red marks left behind. It may be very expensive in America. I am a Canadian living in Bangkok, Thailand. I've been fortunate b/c Thailand has world class doctors who charge very little. Each treatment (extraction, blue light laser, accutane) runs at about US$25-30.

But I would recommend extractions if you are taking a low dose of accutane (so it does not hurt your sensitive skin). But please, find a very good certified beautician to do it.

Wow! I might just have to try that! I'm dddyyyyiiinnnnggg for accutane, but I can barely stand the thought of breaking out even worse without having a near panic attack. :(

Does your insurance not cover it if you do them weekly? Also, how much do they cost if insurance doesn't cover it???

If I get facials at my derm's office, my insurance covers them once a month.

Otherwise facials can range anywhere from $50 - $100 depending on where you go, what type of services they offer, etc. As I mentioned, I am very lucky to have a close friend that is an aesthetician and has been in the business for many years. It still costs me $85 per facial when I see her, but I know that it's worth it and my skin is benefitting from the treatment.

I would advise to do some investigation and research. It's so important to find the right person. Also, ask your derm. You never know if they have options that you just are not aware of.

Good luck!