Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Contained

What is this that I have?

OK, I prolly had this for about almost 1 year now and inflamation goes down and up. Orgiginall, I started puttin on my bro's topical creams, which wer probably way to strong which is why my skin would CONSTANTLY dry out and scab over....hence a few scabs in the pic from the BP i just put on.

As you can see, it is a big red like rash around my mouth, espcailly the chin...but hardly nothin above the lips. The forhead has some acne, but not a lot. Upon doin some research, I think this is:

-----perioral dermatitis----

but I'm not %100 sure. Right now, I am on the "do-nothin" routine cause they say the cause of PD is puttin on too strong of medicines which is what I was doin before. Now, i realieze that none of that crap worked, so I am now on the 5th day of Minocycline and my docotor gave me, called erythromycin topical solution 2%.

I only took that for 2 days just to get the inflammation down, but Now I am only using cetaphils cleanser and their lotion on it. I am only wasing the area with cold/medium water. Also, I am trying non-flouride toothpaste. Can you guys tell me if that is what I have and if I should continue this?

so far, a few white heads, but nothin big. I've been patient with the scabs, but the red blemishes are always there. I put no make up or hwatever on. Thanks in advnace.

IPB Image

I know you must be having a hard time right now and feel like giving up, but don't despair! You may need to do more research to find what works best for your skin. My best recommendation is using Paula's Choice skin care for acne from Skin Care Solutions. [MOD EDIT...removed link] The product that really changed my like (and my skin lol) was the 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid. I've learned that BHA is oil-soluble so it can penetrate the pores to rid them of built up skin cells, debris, and small hairs that can compose blackheads and whiteheads. Also, BHA is related chemically to aspirin so it will help any pimples that may be inflammed too. Another product I use 2xs daily is the Blemish Fighting Solution w/ 2.5% BP. I find that sometimes its better to use a lower dose BP but quite often to disinfect my skin, but prevent it from drying out too. I've recommended this line to so many people on acne.org b/c its really the only thing I've found to work!

Good luck!

Lisa

Ok, this is a dumb question, but are you brushing with the toothpaste or putting it on your acne? A few of my friends used to put toothpaste on their big pimples to get them to go down, while sometimes it works it dries your skin out very very badly. If you are putting it on your acne, Id stop. If youre jsut brushing with it I really dont know what youre aiming to do with a non-flouride toothpaste. Tapwater has flouride in it so unless you are using bottled water for everything I really dont see the point of using a non flouride toothpaste. If I am missing something or ahvent heard about the relation between acne and flouride toothpaste plase let me know.

google perioral dermatitis

also, I have been doing nothing to my skin cept washin with cold water every other day and takin minocycline for bout a week now and skin is no longer red...also the breakouts are startin to calm down.

looks like perioral dermatitis. Minocycline tends to help that in many cases (sometimes combine with a topical).

looks like perioral dermatitis. Minocycline tends to help that in many cases (sometimes combine with a topical).

yea, but i'm not gonna take my chances with another topical....and its lookin a lot better. I'll post pics in a few days