Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reon

Is it crucial to use a moisturizer with csr?

Hi, I just started using the csr cleaner, and bp gel, and i've noticed the bp gel isnt as drying than panoxyl which I like. But I get quite oily after a while and I don't like the feeling of my face being clogged. So do I really need to use a moisturizer?

Thanks alot.

No, moisturisers are not needed and I know some people don't use them at all or just use them when they get dry skin.

If you are at the start of the regimen I would recommend a moisturiser, because your skin doesn't get dry until like the 6th or 7th day of the CSR (I know I didn't use it in the beginning and regretted it later).

Even if you don't use a moisturiser I would still recommend sunscreen (sun can prolong redmarks and cause breakouts - though not for everyone)

I agree with Proximity. When you first start bp it doesn't seem that bad, but you don't start to feel the side effects (burning, itching, redness, dryness) until you're about a week in. I would moisturize if I were you. You can check out the moisturizer poll over on the CSR forum for advice/recommendations on which moisturizers have worked the best. I personally like the light texture of Neutrogena oil-free moisture but when the flakes started showing -- about a week in -- it didn't do the trick. Cetaphil works great for keeping you really hydrated.

From Dan's FAQ:

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#oily

Just to add a bit more information. Benzoyl peroxide is very drying.

Even oily skin can become dehydrated. Hydration status of the skin refers to the amount of water within the skin cells, not how much oil you see on the skin. So even oily skin can be dehydrated from acne medications.

Do use a good hydrating moisturizer, at least once a day to help keep your skin in balance.

I would say don't use one. I just use a sunscreen and my face doesn't get dry or oily. If you don't get dry then don't use it. You probably will see an improvement in not breaking out as much.

I would say don't use one. I just use a sunscreen and my face doesn't get dry or oily. If you don't get dry then don't use it. You probably will see an improvement in not breaking out as much.

hmmmmm im pretty sure most people get really dry after a while. I agree with the first two posters, because I know I screwed myself over not moisturizing, and my skin was cracked and peely for a while, it sucked. i would recommend going ahead and just moisturizing.

You can do whatever you'd like of course, but I very highly recommend you do the regimen until you're completely clear. That means moisturizing from day 1 and moisturizing every day. Once you're completely clear you can take away one variable at a time such as not moisturizing and see what happens. If you start changing the regimen now, however, we might never know if it's working as well as it could for you.

Yes, even if your skin is not dry. For many people dryness takes a while to set in. Regardless, I just think it's safest to do the regimen as outlined until you're clear like I said above. Otherwise it is not controlled.

Hey tahnks for the help. One last thing, I have always been quite oily after a little while after putting whatever moisturizer of whatever on. Even if I don't put something on, I get very oily and find myself using tissues of the back of my hands to reduce it, otherwise my face will become incredbily shiny. I've just started using Eucerin moisturiser, which I got in a little packet to for a sample and so i'm testing it out, if it does good i'll buy online. But already i'm very oily and its annoying after a while having to keep take some away.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I do not recommend any Olay moisturizers on the site because they are not nearly good enough at moisturizing for most people who use BP, but Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin is very light and non-greasy feeling. You might like that one so long as you have no problem with flakiness at all.