Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ready 2 Quit

Parents and Acne....Do your's understand?

Im just wondering if anybody else feels that their parents dont really understand how acne can effect their childs life, i think mine just assumed it was a thing that happend to everyone in their teens, and that over time it would fade away. At what point do you think a parent would understand that acne (for a kid growing up in todays modern society) is a very big issue and can lead to other problems. Do anyone on here talk to their parents about acne?

Regards

I only live with / see my mum, and she knows that it bothers me to the extent i dislike going on a beach or swimming topless. Heck, she even helps me to put Retin-A on one part of my back that i can't reach lol >_<

She says i shouldn't let it bother me but i just insist she would have to be my age to understand, which is true really.

The weird thing is, i remember that i have had it on my back/shoulders for 3 years roughly, and i remember it bothering me, but until recently i never thought of trying to treat it, or knew that you could.

EDIT - i just noticed, youre from Manchester, me too :P

Im just wondering if anybody else feels that their parents dont really understand how acne can effect their childs life, i think mine just assumed it was a thing that happend to everyone in their teens, and that over time it would fade away. At what point do you think a parent would understand that acne (for a kid growing up in todays modern society) is a very big issue and can lead to other problems. Do anyone on here talk to their parents about acne?

Regards

good topic:

well....My parents are pretty understanding when it comes to me and my acne. I dsay my mum is more undertsanding coz im close to her....Shes the one i turn to hen i need a good cry and she takes me to the doctors n stuff and buys me all the products. My mum is the best and i can go to her for anythin. She always says how she would much rather have acne instead of me...which she genuinly means...but i wouldnt swap with her coz i wouldnt wish it on anyone! But when i have a moan about my acne...she understands and when she sees me depressed, it makes her feel sad!

But my dad doesnt really understand as much...when im having a bad day..he will say somethin like "dont worry its not bad atall, all teens get it and grow out of it". I know he means well, but thats not how it goes unfortunately! He thinks just because he grew out of it as a teen, that i will! When i get sad about my scars, he will just say domt worry they will fade in time.

But i agree with what your saying tho.....I guess some parents are similar with their views n stuff!

EDIT - i just noticed, youre from Manchester, me too :P

So now i know who's outside my house in that bush with the binoculars and coffee flask Lol, what part you from? im in Didsbury....

lol ok english peepz let the portugeuse speak.

iuno my mom had worse acne then i did at my worse + eczema and my dad has psoriasis so they've kinda been there.

they never did understand how much it affected me though. my mom called me crazy various times.

Regards

I am on the other side!!! I am a parent with mild to moderate acne, I have had breakouts (some bad and some not that bad since I was 12). I am recovering now from a very bad breakout (due to a lot of stress - new job, new house and new town all at once + some other issues) and my 10 year old daughter reminds me about 10 times a day that I have pimples, that my skin is bad and that I should not actually show to her school because I am not pretty compared to the other moms. So yes, kids can be just as cruel!! and also, I am NOT going to outgrow the acne :)

Regards

My parents have the most flawless skin in the world. My mom is really superficial and she's always commenting about my skin and telling her friends about. I often hear her on the phone with her friends then suddenly she'll bring up my skin. Sometimes we will be having dinner with friends and she will look at me and suddenly mention my skin. The worst part of all is that they think it's my fault. At first when I started getting pimples, my parents thought I wasn't washing my face enough. Then when I started getting acne, they told me it's because of the topical medications I use. I try to tell them that they grew up in a much different time and the food today is much different compared to 30 years ago, since they grew up in the suburbs eating fresh farmer's produce which they buy everyday. My dad is a teacher so he understands that a lot of kids nowadays get acne.

camoface ur mum doesn't sound very nice at all.

Well my mum is especialy nice. she didnt notice for a long time why i was so depressed al the time. untill she sudddenly realised it was my acne. because she teaches high school children and a huge load of them she has seen acne so many times before and the mental effeect she just understands. and she has being trying hard to get it sorted (booking derm appointments. getting me tane etc.)

my DAD HOWEVER doesnt understand at all. i inherited it off him (yeah thanks dad!) altho his wasnt as bad. being a simple man (no sexism meant here) he realy doesnt give a fuck about scars(doesnt understand girls like nice faces) and when i get upset about going out around people and stuff he starts going on about how nobody's looking at me because im not the centre of the world. what and asshole huh.

My dad never had acne really, so he doesn't understand.

My mom suffered all her life..she's in her 40's now and she gets a little zit here or there every once inawhile. She uses proactiv :lol:

My dad doesn't really understand. He never really talks about it, he just gets upset he has to pay for the BP.

My mom on the other hand understands and often compliments me about my skin getting better.

My mom understands more now that i've really talked to her about it and they way i feel inside every day i wake up. My dad on the other hand, he thinks my derm is out to get all my money. (gee thanks for the support dad)

Its ridiculous because I dont know where it came from, both my parents never had it like i do and neither do my sisters. I've tried everything- except Accutane. I guess thats one reason they dont understand as much as i want them to.

My mom doesn't really get it. She has had no more than a few zits in her whole life. In the beginning, she told me I was getting it because I wasn't washing my face well enough.

My dad is completely understanding though. He had cystic acne. Mine has never gotten worse than moderate. He had it for many many years, and he still has scarring, which he hides under his beard. He often comments on how much better my skin is looking. And he took tetracycline like I did too. He told me about how self-concious he was, and how he rarely went out. It's nice that he understands. :D

Guest Michael Jackson

yes my mom is wonderful with it :)

My dad has made rude comments about my skin. Neither he nor my mom has ever had bad skin like me.

My mom tries to be helpful. She first ordered me Proactiv w/out telling me as a surprise and bought it for many years (too bad it didnt work). She has also bought me many masks & products and used her work discount when I wanted a facial (where she works).

I have yet to go to a derm cuz of no health insurance...

I don't talk to my paretns about my acne, and neither my sister... And I hate it if they do, but they actually never talk about it, because they understand that it hurts me.

When I was going to the derm (before roaccutane) my mum sometimes told me that I was improving, if anything I was worsening, but she was nice anyway, and she came with me and my sister for out first meeting with the derm.

She has hardly ever bought me stuff for acne, and I'm so glad, because I hate it. It's like saying Hey honey, you have acne, you should treat it!. I know they wouldn't mean it, but I can't help thinking so. She has never had acne, maybe some pimple in her teens.

My dad had bad acne, now has PERFECT skin, really prefect, not a scar, or a red mark, nothing. He's understanding, because he had acne worst than mine, and he always goes to the pharmacy to buy our skin care products, or even my Roaccutane when I was on it.

Didsbury :o? Damn you live close to me. I live near Hazel Grove in some shitass village called High Lane. I left my coffee flask in the bushes by the way after a pedestrian startled me. Could i get it back or .. ?

My parents understand 100%.... Becuz my acne is genetic....LOL

My dad had acne then and still now... He is in is 50's...

It's sad that I will always breakout.. But life is never easy... So meh....

Guest Sincerely_Me

I don't see my dad so I can't say anything, but my mom...I think she genuinely cares, but she is a bit naive, and comes off a bit insensitive. I think it bothers her more than me because she doesn't want me to be upset or have to suffer. She still thinks that acne is caused by using moisturizer, regardless of the fact it's oil free and non-comedogenic :rolleyes: She also thinks you get redmarks ONLY by touching your zits. Oh well, I still love her though.