Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BJ'sGuRL

Blood tests for acne drugs

Hi, i was wondering what acne drugs require you to have blood tests? im going to the dermotologist in 2 days time and if he says i can go on roaccutane or something the only bit im going to freak out about it haveing the blood tests done. The reason for this is because i've had so many done over the years that its really really hard to get blood out and hurts like hell now,ive also got a blood clot in my left arm because of this. My question for you guys is, is it only nessasary to have blood taken if you are going on roaccutane or is it the same for other acne drugs? if so which ones are they? thx peeps!

hi there,

Im currently on accutane or roaccutane in your case and so far its the only treatment when ive had to have blood test taken. Ive only really tryed two other oral antibiotics but with accutane its to test your triglycerdes and also liver enzymes which sometimes can change.

So in short yes you will have to have them most likely every month to make sure you are responding normally, it sucks but well worth it.

All the best :)

hi there,

Im currently on accutane or roaccutane in your case and so far its the only treatment when ive had to have blood test taken. Ive only really tryed two other oral antibiotics but with accutane its to test your triglycerdes and also liver enzymes which sometimes can change.

So in short yes you will have to have them most likely every month to make sure you are responding normally, it sucks but well worth it.

All the best :)

hehe thx!!! good luck 2 u aswel :)

Hi, i was wondering what acne drugs require you to have blood tests? im going to the dermotologist in 2 days time and if he says i can go on roaccutane or something the only bit im going to freak out about it haveing the blood tests done. The reason for this is because i've had so many done over the years that its really really hard to get blood out and hurts like hell now,ive also got a blood clot in my left arm because of this. My question for you guys is, is it only nessasary to have blood taken if you are going on roaccutane or is it the same for other acne drugs? if so which ones are they? thx peeps!

If you go on Accutane, you'll need to do baseline blood tests and you should have one a month after starting, and then every two months after that. DO NOT forego these tests! It's very rare to have liver problems, but my son's liver reacted very strongly and very quickly to this medicine. He was having great results with his acne, and felt really good. We thought he was getting off very easy on the secondary symptoms, until the blood tests came back. He had to suspend the treatment or he would have sustained liver damage - soemthing you don't want to mess with.

So, just grin and bear it! The (little bit of)pain is worth the peace of mind!

thx 4 tha info :-) yea i guess im just scared becoz my veins are pretty screwed and with the blood clot and all... but thank u once again! oh how is your son going now? is he ok? hope he is! take care XxOoxX!

thx 4 tha info :-) yea i guess im just scared becoz my veins are pretty screwed and with the blood clot and all... but thank u once again! oh how is your son going now? is he ok? hope he is! take care XxOoxX!

If you express your concerns with a responsible doctor who'll truly listen, I'll bet he/she can allay your doubts. I'm just thankful my son's dermatologist was so meticulous or we would have done him damage unknowingly.

My son(thanks for asking) is pretty disappointed that Accutane won't work for him. It's the only thing that has given him relief from his very bad acne. So I'm searching for other alternatives - that's how I ended up here on this site.

I wish you luck with your problem. You're right to be concerned, but find a professional who can give you some perspective on what is truly a concern for your particular situation.

Be positive!

If you express your concerns with a responsible doctor who'll truly listen, I'll bet he/she can allay your doubts. I'm just thankful my son's dermatologist was so meticulous or we would have done him damage unknowingly.

My son(thanks for asking) is pretty disappointed that Accutane won't work for him. It's the only thing that has given him relief from his very bad acne. So I'm searching for other alternatives - that's how I ended up here on this site.

I wish you luck with your problem. You're right to be concerned, but find a professional who can give you some perspective on what is truly a concern for your particular situation.

Be positive!

awww thank u so much! i cant imagine how frusterating it must be trying to find another solution but i wish u all the best and hope you find something good :) take care!