Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plumard

accutane low dose versus 5 month course

I have been on accutane twice over the last couple of decades and once again cystic acne is returning. Between courses I have always gotten cysts which scar now and then and just accepted it, because what else can I do? But it seems that after a certain number of years the accutane totally wears off and I begin getting much more severe cysts which last longer and scar much deeper.

my derm has said that another option other than taking another course of accutane would be to go on a low dose (I think two pills a week or something like that) indefinitely. Derm said taken this way the accutane is effective in preventing new cysts and there should be no side effects of dryness of skin, lips, eyes, etc.

I can see the benefits of the low dose approach but don't really like the idea of being on a drug indefinitely.

Anybody out there who has taken multiple courses of accutane and who is in a similar position to me who has tried the low dose approach as well as the higher dose for a shorter period approach?

I would like to get some feedback on this to try and decide which would be the best way to go.

Thanks!

I have been on accutane twice over the last couple of decades and once again cystic acne is returning. Between courses I have always gotten cysts which scar now and then and just accepted it, because what else can I do? But it seems that after a certain number of years the accutane totally wears off and I begin getting much more severe cysts which last longer and scar much deeper.

my derm has said that another option other than taking another course of accutane would be to go on a low dose (I think two pills a week or something like that) indefinitely. Derm said taken this way the accutane is effective in preventing new cysts and there should be no side effects of dryness of skin, lips, eyes, etc.

I can see the benefits of the low dose approach but don't really like the idea of being on a drug indefinitely.

Anybody out there who has taken multiple courses of accutane and who is in a similar position to me who has tried the low dose approach as well as the higher dose for a shorter period approach?

I would like to get some feedback on this to try and decide which would be the best way to go.

Thanks!

I don't know if this helps, since I haven't been on accutane ( yet)....but, recently, my dermatologist was talking to me about going on accutane and, since I had tried it once before and felt AWFUL and stopped after 3 weeks, she mentioned putting me on a low dose- like 40 mg every other day or something like that, and perhaps staying on it longer...So, I guess there are some derms out there who are willing to be "creative" about dosing these days...

she said that since I am a smaller woman, that we could play around with lower doses...Also,my acne is only on my chin, and I only get a couple of bad ones per year so......maybe that's why she felt the lower dose might work for me...

Good luck!!

I've just been prescribed a low dose of accutane. I have been on accutane before and now that it has come back he suggested a low dose course of 40mg a day for the 1st month and then 10mg a day for about a year.

My question is, that when my mom came home with the prescription it was clarus not accutane.

I believe that clarus is the generic version. Could anyone give me some info on clarus? ( is it the same as accutane? is it just as effective? why does it cost so much less? this has me a little confused. any different side affects with clarus than accutane? It didnt really come with a pamphlet. Has anyone been on accutane and clarus? which one has worked better?)

I would of asked my derm my questions but he didnt tell me he was prescribing this, I was under the impresion that I was getting accutane. Him not telling me has me kind of worried that maybe I got the wrong prescription but I seriously doubt that.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I've just been prescribed a low dose of accutane. I have been on accutane before and now that it has come back he suggested a low dose course of 40mg a day for the 1st month and then 10mg a day for about a year.

My question is, that when my mom came home with the prescription it was clarus not accutane.

I believe that clarus is the generic version. Could anyone give me some info on clarus? ( is it the same as accutane? is it just as effective? why does it cost so much less? this has me a little confused. any different side affects with clarus than accutane? It didnt really come with a pamphlet. Has anyone been on accutane and clarus? which one has worked better?)

I would of asked my derm my questions but he didnt tell me he was prescribing this, I was under the impresion that I was getting accutane. Him not telling me has me kind of worried that maybe I got the wrong prescription but I seriously doubt that.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

bro it's the same shit, chill, and goodluck

Hi

I am currently on a low dose course indefinately. I am currently taking 20mg a day and have done so for 3 months now, I will be reducing my dose to 10mg a day shortly, my skin has been 95% clear since about 1 month into taking the Tane. I have bene on Tane a few times over the past 10 years and it is the only thing that works for me and my derm agreed to a long term low dose course. I have minimal side effects on this dose and the results are good.

Happy