Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I'm sort of addicted to my current routine.

AM

2% Salicylic Acid facial cleanser

10% Glycolic Acid toner

Oil-free moisturizer w/ spf 15

PM

2% Salicylic Acid facial cleanser

2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide cream

AHA moisturizer

I've only been doing this for a month or so. My skin has improved but isn't perfection. I wanna take a crack at CSR except I'm really concerned about peeling. I work in one of the top salons in the country. No, I don't face the kind of pressure, say, a model has to look perfect. But there is still quite a bit of pressure to look well above average. Blemishes are bad enough. I can't add flakiness to the equation. You can't conceal dry skin, only heal it. So, if my current routine (so far) has yielded slow but steady results, does anyone feel that I would benefit more from the CSR even at the risk of looking really horrible for a short period of time?

Okay well heres what I say...

If your routine you are using now is working.. then stick to it. No reason to quit if it works, right? But, if it isn't improving your skin at all.. I say give the CSR a try. What kind of acne do you have anyways? Salicylic acid just unclogs pores. Benzoyl Peroxide will actually kill bacteria by creating oxygen and you can never get immune to it. I am on the CSR right now and I love it.. its excellent at keeping my skin at bay. Just some warnings though, I have noticed that since i Have started using benzoyl peroxide on my skin, my redmarks take wayy longer to heal.. but i've been using vitamin E on my skin so hopefully that helps. Also, be prepared for an initial breakout if you do start... it happens to many people, and don't let it discourage you at all, it doesn't mean that its not working.. I think its just that your skin is getting used to it and purging anything you have in your skin (correct me if im wrong on my information). I haven't had too bad of problems with peeling, but thats because I have oily skin.. maybe people pretty dry skin while first starting out on the regimen. I hope this info helped a little bit!.

its strange, i was actually thinking the same thing too. When using my proactiv bp lotion I only used as much as about a fingernail. Switching to the CS gel, i started using a full finger length. The surprising part is that I actually found my skin softer and less flakey. Some nights I feel like I dont even need to moisturize (though i do anyway just as a precaution lol)

Its a good product, at least give it a try =)

Okay well heres what I say...

If your routine you are using now is working.. then stick to it. No reason to quit if it works, right? But, if it isn't improving your skin at all.. I say give the CSR a try. What kind of acne do you have anyways? Salicylic acid just unclogs pores. Benzoyl Peroxide will actually kill bacteria by creating oxygen and you can never get immune to it. I am on the CSR right now and I love it.. its excellent at keeping my skin at bay. Just some warnings though, I have noticed that since i Have started using benzoyl peroxide on my skin, my redmarks take wayy longer to heal.. but i've been using vitamin E on my skin so hopefully that helps. Also, be prepared for an initial breakout if you do start... it happens to many people, and don't let it discourage you at all, it doesn't mean that its not working.. I think its just that your skin is getting used to it and purging anything you have in your skin (correct me if im wrong on my information). I haven't had too bad of problems with peeling, but thats because I have oily skin.. maybe people pretty dry skin while first starting out on the regimen. I hope this info helped a little bit!.

Here's the thing. Yes, I've seen improvement BUT the goal is to get to where I don't feel the need to wear any foundation at all (except under my eyes. dark circles and breakouts. i'm such a lucky girl). I'm not sure what kind of acne I have exactly. I'm very blackhead prone. And not like normal everybody gets kind of blackheads. Like slightly raised blackheads on my cheekbones and nose (i really need a hands-free doohickey for my phone). And very whitehead prone on my chin and forehead. I get occasional papules which almost always turn into pustules. The red marks seem to have always taken f-o-r-e-v-e-r to go away. And my skin, this past year, gets really oily during the day. Actually, only at work. But I wake up with super dry skin. Because I've just recently intergrated BP, my skin has been much drier and flakier than i can ever remember it being. But from what I've read, that's exactly what's supposed to happen. The glycolic acid is also new to me. So I'm anticipating a massive revolt from my skin. There's no real way to avoid it is there? It has to get worse before it can get better?

Kitty Collins,

If you are seeing gradual improvement on your current routine, then my advice is to hang with it and give it a few months to see if it will continue to clear you up.

ANY acne treatment program is going to take a few months before you can decide whether or not it is going to really work for you.

So, I'd say stick with what you are doing since you are seeing results. If after a few months you aren't as clear as you'd like to be, you can try the CSR then.