Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mskitty

Juice/Water fasting?

Alright, I am kind of turning towards a fast to clean up some crap out of my body in hopes of clearing my skin some before accutane.

While researching this on the 'net, several sites pointed to an increase in acne and oily skin as the result of a fast. Anyone have any insight on this? I am thinking of doing a short-term fast, such as three days or so.

:D

Alright, I am kind of turning towards a fast to clean up some crap out of my body in hopes of clearing my skin some before accutane.

While researching this on the 'net, several sites pointed to an increase in acne and oily skin as the result of a fast. Anyone have any insight on this? I am thinking of doing a short-term fast, such as three days or so.

Aside from possible IB it's actually the other way around unless you are worsening existing deficiencies.

Aside from possible IB it's actually the other way around unless you are worsening existing deficiencies.

I am wondering if I'll even experience an IB, truthfully. The reason why I asked is all these various sources I looked at had crazy side effects (BO, coated tongue, dandruff) as a result of fasting. That seems a little intense, IMO.

I read in the scar forum that there's a strict 5 day fast that makes body burn off the scar tissue. I'll probably try it one day...

I'm trying it right now... this is my day 3.

I read it's supposed to cause acne breakout for a while, then things will clear up

right now I can't tell whether i'm having more breakout,.. coz there are a lot of small white heads even before i started my detox. I don't see it getting worse either.

by the way, my skin was smooth all 25 years of my life, except starting 2 months ago. so I'm hoping my fruit diet will work. The big acne are healing, but I dunno whether it's the effect of the fruit diet, or the tea tree oil and aloe vera that I started using 3 days ago as well

I'll post the results from juice/water fasting.

So far, so good! :cool:

I just finished a 3 day vegetable/fruit juice fast two days ago. After the juice fast try to maintain healthy eating habits otherwise the fast will eventually have been for nothing. As for the results, I got a few minor whiteheads while on it, but other than that not one major pimple! (This coming from someone who had a main zit daily.)

I hope your results are good too. =)

I'm doing a fast right now....detox reactions tend to vary, and you can break out pretty bad. Nevertheless, the one thing you need to remember is that you probably don't want to drink the juice you buy in the store. You really only want freshly juiced juices.....you won't get any fresh enzymes from the store bought stuff, even the stuff in health food stores. Your fast will be a lot more beneficial if you juice your own stuff.

I don't think that anyone should fast without doing something to ELIMINATE the toxins every day... meaning enemas or salt water flushes or something like Oxy-Powder. 'Cause you won't be having bowel movements if you're not eating, and that would most likely make your skin worse. But as long as you include the enemas or whatever, you shouldn't break out.

Salt water flush: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=383357

Very good point! While on the fast I took liquid bentonite with LOTS of water throughout the day to help cleans things out. Although this salt water flush sounds like something to try next time.

this is day 4 of my fruit detox. I feel that I am going to give up anytime soon. I think I'm supposed to eat only raw stuff.. but I started boiling carrots yesterday coz I felt like eating something cooked. I think I shouldn't do that.

Anyway... I don't see more breakout on my face. In fact, it's getting better. I still suspect it's because of tea tree oil + aloe vera gel. But I'm getting new breakouts on my chest everyday. I suspect it's due to the fruit detox coz it was smooth before this, just started breakout 1 or 2 days after i started my fruit detox. Anyway, i applied tea tree oil , then generously apply aloe vera gel before I sleep, and I wake up seeing the acne on my chest a lot better, but it's just being replaced by new breakouts at the end of the day.

Hopefully that is what it's supposed to do. Should I do the salt flush thing? I've never heard of it before. So I just need to drink very salty water? What will happen after that?

this is day 4 of my fruit detox. I feel that I am going to give up anytime soon. I think I'm supposed to eat only raw stuff.. but I started boiling carrots yesterday coz I felt like eating something cooked. I think I shouldn't do that.

Anyway... I don't see more breakout on my face. In fact, it's getting better. I still suspect it's because of tea tree oil + aloe vera gel. But I'm getting new breakouts on my chest everyday. I suspect it's due to the fruit detox coz it was smooth before this, just started breakout 1 or 2 days after i started my fruit detox. Anyway, i applied tea tree oil , then generously apply aloe vera gel before I sleep, and I wake up seeing the acne on my chest a lot better, but it's just being replaced by new breakouts at the end of the day.

Hopefully that is what it's supposed to do. Should I do the salt flush thing? I've never heard of it before. So I just need to drink very salty water? What will happen after that?

Just keep eating the fruits and veggies for a week of more with little other than that. It "should" help.

I am wondering if I'll even experience an IB, truthfully. The reason why I asked is all these various sources I looked at had crazy side effects (BO, coated tongue, dandruff) as a result of fasting. That seems a little intense, IMO.

Yeah, how about no? How about don't do it? How about if you do decide to do this 3 day fast, you will end up even more deprived of vitamins and minerals and have a good chance of getting sick since your immune system is taking a hit for no reason. Drink green tea or water if you want your system cleaned out.

I still don't know what people think our bodies are. They make it seem like it's some engine that you can just clean or that by doing this or that, it all of a sudden sparkles. Did anyone go to school? Unbelievable.

I have also read from others that by drinking water everything in the body is cleaned. I am like WTF? Water doesn't go everywhere. It doesn't go in your lungs, through your arteries, etc. Amazing.

Case closed.

:ninja:

As a biology minor and health freak, i can't advocate fasting in any form, especially in a liquid form.

Not to say liquids are bad for you..quite the oppposite. Drink plenty of water, eat a vary of healthy foods in moderation. Your body needs fats, proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals to work properly, and that you can't get all of these from consuming just one product in excess, and eliminating all others entirely. Never having done that (and never will) i can't imagine how you can feel living on such a restrictive diet even for a few days, especially if your a busy, active person. I can only guess that by the end you're starving, and even if you don't feeling like your starving, on the cellular level your body is breaking down.

I know people that practically live off of fast food, soda, and junk in general. Somehow they have perfect skin. Meanwhile, i am probably one of the healthest eaters you'll ever meet but i still break out.

Some people have all the luck right?

Anyway, before you try some fasting thing, i would reconsider how it's going to affect your health in general, and not looking at the short terms effects it might (and probably won't) have on your skin.

Just keep eating the fruits and veggies for a week of more with little other than that. It "should" help.

thanx..

I think it's much better when i wake up this morning. must be my head playing tricks. haha

I don't think that anyone should fast without doing something to ELIMINATE the toxins every day... meaning enemas or salt water flushes or something like Oxy-Powder. 'Cause you won't be having bowel movements if you're not eating, and that would most likely make your skin worse. But as long as you include the enemas or whatever, you shouldn't break out.

Salt water flush: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=383357

I poop a lot as it is...like, 6 times a day because I am so active (seriously here). I haven't felt the need to do an enema.

However, I am going to take it easy tommorow (like I did today) so I won't get crazy fatigued...that means, as little physical activity as possible.

I don't think fasting is the end all be all like some claim it is, I am just curious to see what these potential benefits are for myself.

seriously... day 4 of my detox... nothing much comes out from my bowel... where are all the fruits I ate for the past 4 days? My body can't be taking in all of them right?

As a biology minor and health freak, i can't advocate fasting in any form, especially in a liquid form.

Not to say liquids are bad for you..quite the oppposite. Drink plenty of water, eat a vary of healthy foods in moderation. Your body needs fats, proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals to work properly, and that you can't get all of these from consuming just one product in excess, and eliminating all others entirely. Never having done that (and never will) i can't imagine how you can feel living on such a restrictive diet even for a few days, especially if your a busy, active person. I can only guess that by the end you're starving, and even if you don't feeling like your starving, on the cellular level your body is breaking down.

You're wrong

Fasting and starvation are two different things

Starvation occurs when vital tissues are being catabolized, fasting is when non-vital tissues and old-damaged tissues are being autolyzed.

Fasting explains why caloric restriction increase longevity and the lifespan of animal

The act of not eating for a short-term amount of time (with the chance to start refeeding yourself as soon as you feel the need to) creates a sort of tissues recycling which explains how on animal tests their tissues get rigenerated and this is what increases their lifespan on take away years from their biological age

Because of linfatic and tissue recycling we never run our of major nutrients in a matter of days (that would be unbelievable as we would have all extincted by now if it was the case)

Most essential amino acid keep circulating and being recycled for more than a week for example

The same for zinc, calcium, B vitamins, iron, magnesium

Also it should be kept in mind that we need a minimal amount daily of these minerals (iron effective need for example is just 1.5 mg daily) because they're being lost and used in the digestive and excretative process

When these processes are stopped because there's no food to metabolize the huge percentage of those nutrients stop being lost at such as an high rate

Besides water contains mineral itself

You're right about being busy and active, therapeutic fasting should be done while resting or doing small activity. No one should attempt to fast while working 10 hours in a factory, or running 1 hour each morning or lifting heavy weights for 40 minutes

How long the fast stage lasts before it becomes "starvation" depends on each individual

Starvation occurs anywhere between 15 to 30 days without eating

According to some professional therapeutic fasting practitioners pure water fasting shouldn't last more than 20 days at which point water should be substituted for juices, freshfruits and cooked vegetables easy to digest

Fasting has been known for millennia as an health promoting practice even by Hyppocrates that swore by it in one of his dissertations and by recycling diseased tissue it has been known to defeat and reverse (in certain cases) even all diseases that are/were considered hopeless by orthodox medicine

The best scientifically up-to-date book on therapeutic fasting has been written by Dr. Joel Furhman who practices therapeutic fasting in his clinic

If one is conscious of everything that fasting implies and how to deal before, during and after the fasting (expecially the refeeding) than self-fast can be attempted but it is advised that they don't go longer than 4-5 days

Dr. Joel Fuhrman - Fasting for Health