Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snow22

Bactrim? Opinions ASAP

Hey guys..

I have an app. with my derm tomorrow. I have moderate acne mostly around my Chin and jaw line, around my mouth. I Have tried many things over the years, and at the begining of summer tried doxycycline and well it worked awesome...for 3 weeks, then I am back to square one. I have tried all the other cyclines and they were not effective... I was wondering if you guys think bactrim would be a good thing to try? It seems to get pretty good reviews on here, although its a risky drug with the side effects. I am a firefighter tho so i mean I am willing to take a risk, seems like everyday is a risk as it is anyways. I am about to give up I am so sick of this, I need to get my life back. any opinions asap are appreciated as I am going 8 a.m. tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

my roommate is on bactrim and it seems to be working. he doesn't really have any acne anymore.

Bactrim is basically the strongest antibiotic prescribed for acne. There are some issues with taking antibiotics for this purpose - it can deplete your digestive system of helpful bacteria, can lead to chronic yeast infections in women, etc.

The main problem with Bactrim is that is much more allergenic than other antibiotics. If you are taking Bactrim and notice any signs of allergy, including itchiness, rash, hives, racing heart, etc you should immediately contact your doctor since it's associated with a very serious, sometimes fatal allergic response called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. You shouldn't take it if you have ever had an allergy to another sulfa (not sulphur) drug.

5 months ago I broke out with the worst acne I've ever had....TONS of cysts and painful, swelling, itching ones! My skin is dark, so I scared BAD....anyways, I had some Tetracycline and also some doxycycline from a few months earlier (not expired!) and i tried one, then the other--NO RESULTS...I tried everything...Finally I went to my old Derm (i have not insurance anymore) and for a huge price she prescribed Bactrim(every 12 hrs), Benzaclin(AM), and Retin-A(PM). It has been about 3 weeks and i've seen a HUGE improvement...But i don't know if it's the bactrim that's doing it or the benzacline/retin a. But i think it is the Bactrim because while i tried tetra and doxycycline, i was on benzaclin and retin a too, but it wasn't helping at all. my doc switched me to a different retin-a and the real benzaclin not the generic....I haven't had any side effects at all from bactrim either....i would say to try it because it is stronger and i've heard it's the last resort before accutane.