Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got acouple things to put out there and maybe some of you can give me your opinions. Do you think having acne can effect you getting a job? I know it sounds kind of stupid, but if you think about it, if someone went to a job interview with clear skin, would he/she get the job before a person with acne? Now im not just saying like a sales job where you have to be around people all day, ANY job. The reason why I got to thinkin this is because when I had clear skin(like 6 years ago, hard to remember but I did have it before in my life) I got jobs, on the spot. Now with acne it seems harder. Anyone have any inputs?

Of course it affects the ability to get a job, it depends on what kind of job you are applying to, what the person hiring you think of people with acne, how severe your acne is etc.

I don't know... I had acne the whole time I was applying for my jobs after college... maybe it matter, but I don't know. I think I got offered the jobs I was qualified for, the jobs I didn't get, I wasn't.

Consider how your acne makes you carry yourself. I know I have been less secure and don't always carry my head high anymore... that can have a big impact on your ability to convince someone in an interview that you are a go-getter (which I'm sure you are, but acne makes us all a bit different).

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll find the right job for you.

The person doing the hiring would have to be a real fuckbag to not hire someone because they had bad skin.

With that said there is a lady that works at the doctors office as a receptionist and is really ugly. My girlfriend commented on her once. She very large and going bald. Now acne is one thing but damn that lady should get a wig. I dont know how someone would work in front of people all day like that. She looks to be 45 too.

Your ability to do the job competently is INFINITELY more important in 99% of jobs than the way your face looks.

I wouldn't worry about it. And definitely don't let it hinder your search. Employers want good workers, not GAP models. Unless you are working at the GAP. :lol:

Your ability to do the job competently is INFINITELY more important in 99% of jobs than the way your face looks.

I wouldn't worry about it. And definitely don't let it hinder your search. Employers want good workers, not GAP models. Unless you are working at the GAP. :lol:

They also want people who look respectable, and to some people acne doesn't go hand in hand with that.

subconsciously a person will view a non acne person in a better way. But this is depending on acne that is moderate, not the mild stuff.

They also want people who look respectable, and to some people acne doesn't go hand in hand with that.

If you're qualified for a real job, you'll get it. A job in the mall which is vain and superficial, maybe not. But I don't know, say you're a lawyer who went to Harvard Law School or Stanford or Yale... you really think they're going to get turned down because of acne?

subconsciously a person will view a non acne person in a better way. But this is depending on acne that is moderate, not the mild stuff.

agreed. it may not be a fully conscious thing, but a lot of people have dumb ideas about acne (i.e. that people with acne must not be clean, don't take care of themselves, etc.) and will react negatively to acne without even realizing it.

Yh i think acne plays a role in getting a job :(

i havent even got the confidence to go for an interview because of i, pathetic isnt it :(

sucks doesnt it?

agreed. it may not be a fully conscious thing, but a lot of people have dumb ideas about acne (i.e. that people with acne must not be clean, don't take care of themselves, etc.) and will react negatively to acne without even realizing it.

I agree too, but like someone said if you have a harvard degree, do you think that would let you go over acne. Alot of other jobs, I think they SOME would discriminate, depends on the interviewer and type of job.

I think it does affect your chances. People do judge us for having acne whether we believe it or not. People who dont suffer from it dont know that we cant simply wash our face with Clearasil and it will go away. If they never had severe acne they just dont know. We look dirty with all the oil and red sores on our faces. It not attractive. If one was applying for job at make-up counter with bad acne I can almost guarantee you wont ge the job. You have to represent the product in this case and appear attractive. But what it boils down to is how superficial the interviewer is and how desperate they are to fill that position and the number of applicants applying for it.

Yh i think acne plays a role in getting a job :(

i havent even got the confidence to go for an interview because of i, pathetic isnt it :(

im exactly the same! im have such low confidence!

i need a job badly but everywhere i look for a job, the workers have clear skin! argh this is like a nightmare!

all depends on the job. for jobs that dont require a skill your looks are probably gonna have an effect. but if your talkin about a real profession it aint gonna matter shit. if your gettin a job as a lawyer, doctor, accountant they arent gonna care if youve got some acne they just want yout to be really good at what you do.

If two people had the same credentials and is equally qualified for a job, but one had acne and the other didn't, I would think the one without it would have an advantage. Just because we live in a superficial world and first impressions are everything especially to a future employer(even if its only subconciously in their mind) . In my opinion acne does not "prevent" you from getting a great job, but if you pit them 1 on 1 with someone with clear skin with the same credibility, the latter one definately has an edge.

I've had perfect skin and I've had moderate to severe acne, and from my experience, ACNE does make a difference in hiring and the way you're treated on the job.

Appearance in general is very important for most jobs. If an attractive person and a homely person apply for the same job and the less attractive person is more qualified, I've noticed that usually their experience won't give them an edge. That's because employers would rather have a nice looking person to fill the position. I used to work with this pretty, very well dress and coiffed gal. She was very popular and outgoing and everyone seemed to think she was a good teacher.... but believe me... she didn't know her subject and she didn't know how to teach either. She just gave busy work and gave students As so they'd like her.

Of course, if an acned person does get the job, they are many times treated with less respect and teased. Pretty people just have all the luck. It's predjudiced but it's reality.

I used to teach high school and and was hired when I had PERFECT skin. The principal, other teachers and students treated me very differently when I had good skin. Then the medicine I used was discontinued and the acne crept back on my face. Believe me, I was treated with less respect. You'd expect that from the teenagers but not from adults. The way they looked at me and treated me, they probably thought I was doing meth or something. They just couldn't understand an adult with acne.