Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cheechchong_pt2

Been on accutane for long time -- Potentially damaging?

Finishing up in 2 weeks and that'll be 8 months of accutane. I took 40mg first 2 months and 80mg/40mg a day alternating every other day ever since month 3. I weigh 74kgs (162lbs.). The reason I been on it so long is because my acne was very resistant, and didn't see I can say good clearing in my 5th month and awesome clearing in month 6 and 7. It seems I finally beaten acne (bout damn time) all I get is extremely small pimples like 1-3 every few days with the size of this dot (.) well some of them are twice as big lol. My derm said this will be my last month and looks like I have now outgrown acne (I'm an adult male, 20 years in 2 weeks :)) I haven't gotten a blood test since 2 months ago, but everything was fine. But I was on tane so damn long, can this be bad to me?

Finishing up in 2 weeks and that'll be 8 months of accutane. I took 40mg first 2 months and 80mg/40mg a day alternating every other day ever since month 3. I weigh 74kgs (162lbs.). The reason I been on it so long is because my acne was very resistant, and didn't see I can say good clearing in my 5th month and awesome clearing in month 6 and 7. It seems I finally beaten acne (bout damn time) all I get is extremely small pimples like 1-3 every few days with the size of this dot (.) well some of them are twice as big lol. My derm said this will be my last month and looks like I have now outgrown acne (I'm an adult male, 20 years in 2 weeks :)) I haven't gotten a blood test since 2 months ago, but everything was fine. But I was on tane so damn long, can this be bad to me?

8 months isn't too long, you'll be fine

Some people go on courses over a year...

Those are low-doses treatments, never in high doses! My derm said I'm already a rare case that needed more then 6 months of tane, since he said like 90% of all of his patients cleared like after 4-5 months the most and he has put 100s of patients over the years.

better ask your derm how many of his 100s have STAYED clear :lol:

8 months is fine, I'm on it for 13 and still going on although with 20mg (gone up to 30mg few days ago though)

and yes, this might damaged your body as it damages every body in one way or another, nobody here will be able to tell you what happens when you're 60, but there's a price to pay for everything and you're a bit late to ask anyway :lol:

no seriously, don't worry too much ;)

Everyone's journey is different, everyone's skin is different- like your fingerprints- if your derm says you are alright from all your previous blood tests and you're not experiencing any kind of awful super bad side effects- 8 months is perfectly fine i would believe. Repair takes time.

8 months is fine, I'm on it for 13 and still going on although with 20mg (gone up to 30mg few days ago though)

and yes, this might damaged your body as it damages every body in one way or another, nobody here will be able to tell you what happens when you're 60, but there's a price to pay for everything and you're a bit late to ask anyway :lol:

no seriously, don't worry too much ;)

13 months! are you clear?

If you are not experiencing any negative side-effects and your liver and CBC profiles are fine, I doubt there is anything to worry about.

He told me that 10% of people get it back after a year but permanent results is like 60-70%. He also said it depends on multiple factors but really on the person. But adult males which is me well almost, 20 in 2 weeks lol have the best chance of remission since my hormones are down and sebum produces way less at this age and up. I hope that's the case for me and everybody else :)