Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bballer056

orange juice

is it ok or not?

Just use common sense.

It takes what like 4 oranges to make a glass of OJ.

So drinking a glass or more is very un-natural and should for the most part be avoided.

I drink it every morning lately. What's so bad about OJ??? The kind I get is from Whole Foods, organic and unfucked around with. It's the only way I can stomach psyllium. Taking it with water makes me gag. But mixing it with pulp-free OJ makes it taste just like OJ with a little extra pulp......I'm guessing the fiber and all the fat I eat with breakfast (over 40g) kinda negate the effects of the high glycemic load that orange juice by itself would have..........

is it ok or not?

Just use common sense.

So drinking a glass or more is very un-natural and should for the most part be avoided.

Er....this makes no sense to me...

is it ok or not?

Just use common sense.

Er....this makes no sense to me...

It makes perfect sense. Finally someone that understands the human digestive system. Orange juice is very very VERY acidic and aggravates acne like no other. I stopped drinking orange juice years ago due to its consistent cyst forming results. I would get many bumps and cystic lesions on my neck after drinking a lot of it. You can drink apple juice, but orange juice should always be avoided. Props to casenickles! Case closed.

:ninja:

I squeeze two/three oranges and 1 lemon every day to drink. I've been doing this for the past 5 months or so, and my acne hasn't returned.

I love contradictions. Don't eat this, don't eat that. I suggest you don't eat/consume anything if it worries you.

Danny gave a good explanation about these a while ago. I think the issue with OJ is that you are consuming all the sugar and acidity with non of the fibre that comes from the pulp. I believe the fibre helps to slow down the sugar rush / insulin spike. Also, as someone above mentioned, to get one glass of OJ you are consuming 3 to 4 oranges, all without the fibre. So Labgirl - adding the psyllium husks back in should help but probably it is still probably not as healthful as just eating the orange.

Danny gave a good explanation about these a while ago. I think the issue with OJ is that you are consuming all the sugar and acidity with non of the fibre that comes from the pulp. I believe the fibre helps to slow down the sugar rush / insulin spike. Also, as someone above mentioned, to get one glass of OJ you are consuming 3 to 4 oranges, all without the fibre. So Labgirl - adding the psyllium husks back in should help but probably it is still probably not as healthful as just eating the orange.

I've been known to eat the occasional orange (clemintines are sooo good, and blood oranges are my absolute fave), however one orange doesn't have that much fiber really.....nothing compared to two tablespoons of psyllium husk..........I can't take psyllium with water (it's really nasty), so I mix it with OJ........eating an orange can in no way substitute for the amount of soluble fiber that psyllium husk contains.........

I'm usually not much of a juice drinker, and I agree if given a choice between the fruit itself and it's juice......it's best to go for the fruit....

But there's no way I could stomach the psyllium without the juice.....I did it a few times and every time I try it with water I gag........

Okay I agree with casenickels on the fact that its like eating 4 oranges at once and thats not moderation if you ask me... which equals a high glycemic response right? Also its not just the juice from an orange unless you squeeze them yourself...

Anyhow, I always believe in eating my calories and nutrients... its funner (not a word ;) ) that way :dance: Plus i love to eat :wub:

I've been known to eat the occasional orange (clemintines are sooo good, and blood oranges are my absolute fave), however one orange doesn't have that much fiber really.....nothing compared to two tablespoons of psyllium husk..........I can't take psyllium with water (it's really nasty), so I mix it with OJ........eating an orange can in no way substitute for the amount of soluble fiber that psyllium husk contains.........

I'm usually not much of a juice drinker, and I agree if given a choice between the fruit itself and it's juice......it's best to go for the fruit....

But there's no way I could stomach the psyllium without the juice.....I did it a few times and every time I try it with water I gag........

Hi - I believe that 1 orange contains about 2 grams of fibre (maybe a bit less). 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk contains around 3 and therefore 2 tablespoons will contain around 6. However, I think the problem is that if 1 glass of orange juice contains about 4 oranges, you are actually missing out on about 8 grams of fibre, which is why I say that it is not quite the same thing (even though the difference is minimal)

Anyway - I am not trying to say stop drinking orange juice. People who have seen my posts round these parts know that I have not had good experiences trying to cure acne with even very restrictive diets and so I am not a great believer in giving up lots of different foods. :)

I drink it every morning lately. What's so bad about OJ??? The kind I get is from Whole Foods, organic and unfucked around with. It's the only way I can stomach psyllium. Taking it with water makes me gag. But mixing it with pulp-free OJ makes it taste just like OJ with a little extra pulp......I'm guessing the fiber and all the fat I eat with breakfast (over 40g) kinda negate the effects of the high glycemic load that orange juice by itself would have..........

dude same here! i use OJ to down the psyllium cuz it makes me wanna puke drinking it with just water.

OJ should have no harm, unless you put it on your face or something crazy.

As I said above and Nec agrees.

Lemme just ask you this:

When's the last time you ate 4+ oranges in 2 minutes?

Lemme just ask you this:

a glass of orange juice is a reccommended drink by doctors everywhere. and its not like eating 4 oranges, each serving is like an orange. Just dont go crazy with it. But anything is like that. Be sensible.

Lemme just ask you this:

a glass of orange juice is a reccommended drink by doctors everywhere. and its not like eating 4 oranges, each serving is like an orange. Just dont go crazy with it. But anything is like that. Be sensible.

Each serving, or in most cases poeple drink it by the glass (which is more than 1 serving), IS NOT like an orange.

I repeat: Pasteurized Orange Juice that you buy from the store like Simply Orange or Minute Maid IS NOT just like an orange.

Just because doctors reccomend it absolutely does not mean anything significant (in many cases).

Doctors also tell us:

1- Diet and Acne aren't related

2- Cheerios Reduces Cholesterol (which is doesn't)

3- We should all follow the food pyramid (something different now, same principle)

4- etc

5 etc

4-

Lemme just ask you this:

Each serving, or in most cases poeple drink it by the glass (which is more than 1 serving), IS NOT like an orange.

I repeat: Pasteurized Orange Juice that you buy from the store like Simply Orange or Minute Maid IS NOT just like an orange.

Just because doctors reccomend it absolutely does not mean anything significant (in many cases).

Doctors also tell us:

3- We should all follow the food pyramid (something different now, same principle)

4- etc

5 etc

4-

Im pretty sure your 1-5 all depends on who you are and how your body works. For some people, it ISNT related. For some people, cheerios CAN help reduce cholesterol.

Lemme just ask you this:

Doctors also tell us:

4- etc

5 etc

4-

Im pretty sure your 1-5 all depends on who you are and how your body works. For some people, it ISNT related. For some people, cheerios CAN help reduce cholesterol.

For sure it depends on how your body works. They just concluded recently a study to test the claim that Cheerios can reduce cholesterol and it did not reduce it in any of the test subjects. I'm too lazy to go find the link. Maybe someone else has it.

Hmm - having you ever tried making OJ at home? You don't get alot of juice out of one orange. You may be confusing it with the recommendation that we get 5 pieces of fruit & veg a day and juice counting as 1 serving?

Just drag your still young ass to the kitchen, peel an orange and eat it. Why waste the fibre? Are you all like 90 years old with no teeth? Use them while you can!

Arguably, the most important flavanone in oranges, herperidin has been shown to lower high blood pressure as well as cholesterol in animal studies, and to have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Importantly, most of this phytonutrient is found in the peel and inner white pulp of the orange, rather than in its liquid orange center, so this beneficial compound is too often removed by the processing of oranges into juice.

Hi - I believe that 1 orange contains about 2 grams of fibre (maybe a bit less). 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk contains around 3 and therefore 2 tablespoons will contain around 6. However, I think the problem is that if 1 glass of orange juice contains about 4 oranges, you are actually missing out on about 8 grams of fibre, which is why I say that it is not quite the same thing (even though the difference is minimal)

Anyway - I am not trying to say stop drinking orange juice. People who have seen my posts round these parts know that I have not had good experiences trying to cure acne with even very restrictive diets and so I am not a great believer in giving up lots of different foods. :)

One TBSP of psyllium husk contains 5g of fiber (including 3.5g of soluble fiber)...so two tablespoons contains 10g of fiber (7 of soluble fiber)........even if an orange had 2g of fiber, 4 oranges would have about 8 g of fiber, and most of it is soluble........but do I really have time to sit down and peel, section and eat 4 large oranges? and why would I want to?.....I like them, but not enough to eat 4 a day.........(although I did eat 2 clementines with breakfast this morning)......