Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
david n

David's CSR Log

So, heres a little tid bit about me. I have adult acne, and I've been suffering from it since late high school, and I mean senior year late. (It came on like wtf!!! and I had no idea what I was doing to my skin back then. So, I'm convinced that I really messed my skin up, and I'm paying for it now.) I'm asian so hyperpigmentation is a huge concern for me, and my skin is really sensitive. I've been using Proactiv for the past 5 years with varying effects. Although, I stopped using the cleanser a long time ago, it was just too harsh on my skin--just the toner and BP. I'd go a month with no break outs and then all of a sudden it would come back. I have recently discontinued my membership and realized that if... the program doesn't work ALL the time, then it's not worth it. But I know, that you all know, what it feels like to hope for that clear skin that you use to have previously--I clung on too long.

Compared to the serious cases of acne, my acne is considered moderate to light, but as we all know, it doesn't matter if it's light or severe, we hate it all the same. I have read a lot about acne thus far, and I think I have a good grasp on how my skin reacts to certain medications and when I tend to break out. The hormone issue with adult acne is something I need to fix, but we'll see after my experiment with the CSR plan. The biggest change from my previous regimen is the method in which I apply the BP and lotion. Also, I'm not going to use the Toner anymore.

So, the Clear Skin Regiment is started.

1) Shave

2) Cleanse with Cetaphil for 10-15 seconds.

3) Rinse thoroughly.

4) Apply BP 2.5% (Currently I'm using the 2.5% BP from Proactiv until my the CSR 2.5% BP arrives at the house.

5) Moisturize with Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

(Struggle not to pick during the day.)

Repeat at night.

***Crosses fingers and hopes for the best.***

As of today. I have acne in the T-zone, large red ones on both my cheeks, a large red one on my nose (I really, really, really hate those ones.), and I feel as if there are some starting to form on my chin and nose bridge---fffffugg. I also have hyperpigmentation scars that are just ugly as ever.

I'll update for my sake and yours. (God, lend me a hand here, bud. I think we both know I've suffered enough.) If my skin clears up, I'll post before and after pictures, if it doesn't I'll stay anonymous and go back to the drawing board.

Hi david!

welcome!

I wanted to wish you good luck with the Regimen.

Your products look good. Just remember to start out slow with the bp and take a few weeks to work up to the full amount.

good luck and holler if you need any help!

Thank you Brandy, I appreciate the warm welcome.

Date: September 9, 2006

Everything seems okay. I don't see any new pimples, but I feel on that is forming on my lip and there's one forming on my cheek bone area and area rignt next to my ear (?). I know that they may have been forming for a few day now. Let's hope that the CSR will prevent them from surfacing.

The existing pimples on my cheek are still red and sore, but it's only the first day.

Note: Cetaphil has a special facial lotion that is different from the sensitive skin one.

Still hoping for the best, and not picking!!!

Skin is also a bit tight and dry, but the moisturiZing is really helping that.

Date: September 13, 2006

The CSR Gel hasn't arrived in the mail yet. (shrugs) It should be here today or tomorrow.

The good news is that my right cheek is beginning to heal. I had a previous pimple right at that spot where Cindy Crawford has her mole surface. I popped it, of course. But other than than that my right cheek is healing. My other cheek is healing too. No new pimples for either check the past few days. My chin, my nose haven't had any pimples either.

Bad news is that my t-zone looks like it's beginning to form some pimples under the surface. And a large one has surfaced. (Err). There is also a pimple above my right eyebrow that has just surfaced. (Hoping that these pimples are just existing ones that were undetected before I began the program a few days ago. Now if I had any idea how to lessen the hyperpigmentation I get after every pimple, I'd be good to go. Those damn things last longer than the pimple, and they are just so ugly too me.

Starting a new step in the regimen. I'm starting to ice my pimples to lessen the swelling as well as a preventive measure to keep possible painful pimples at bay.

If there are any warnings you guys/gals have about icing. Please, let me know. If not, have a nice day, I'll tell you if something horrific happens to me. (It seems that the higher I up I go on my face the more sensitive it is the ice. i.e. I can't hold the ice on that pimple on my eyebrow for very long because I begin to get that brain freeze feeling (shrugs).

That closes today's log.

Thank you Brandy, I appreciate the warm welcome.

Date: September 9, 2006

Everything seems okay. I don't see any new pimples, but I feel on that is forming on my lip and there's one forming on my cheek bone area and area rignt next to my ear (?). I know that they may have been forming for a few day now. Let's hope that the CSR will prevent them from surfacing.

Still hoping for the best, and not picking!!!

Update: The one forming on my lip did not surface. The Cheek bone area one did not surface. The one by my ear is not swollen and healing now. The pimples on my cheeks are not sore--still some red.

I picked. (ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR).

Date: September 14, 2006

I just got the CSR gel yesterday in the mail. I was hyped.

Good news: I haven't had a new pimple on my cheeks this whole week. Bascially, from the brigde of my nose and down, I haven't had a pimple this week! Hell yeah. There are still a lot of dark hyperpigmentation marks on my face though. Those will just have to fade away with time I think.

Bad news: My t-zone has a pimple that is surfacing (I new it was coming.), but then yesterday, I felt this other bump right next to the pimple that was already there, and I thought to myself Shit, that's going to be a red and swollen one and I was right. Errr. I'm going to ice it. Also I popped the pimple above my eyebrow. It really hurts now. Errr.

If there are any warnings you guys/gals have about icing. Please, let me know.

Do any of you guys/gals have any advice for dark spots and helping them fade away?

You can use the CSR gel for spot treatment right? Or is it designed to be applied exactly like Dan show us?

know nothing 'bout icing

spots - check out the redmarks forum, there's a great thread pinned

bp can be used for spot treatmens as well, you can even use higher percentage to treat spots

but i suggest you just keep going with dan's, all over

Date: September 14, 2006

If there are any warnings you guys/gals have about icing. Please, let me know.

Do any of you guys/gals have any advice for dark spots and helping them fade away?

You can use the CSR gel for spot treatment right? Or is it designed to be applied exactly like Dan show us?

The only comments I have on icing is that it seems to help some, while it doesn't help others. Personally, I do ice at the first sign of a big pimple. It does seem to decrease swelling and redness. And normally they just go down within a day or two with icing and using BP. But other people have reported that they felt icing just delayed a pimple and caused it to last longer.

For dark spots, you can consider adding in a moisturizer that has some alpha hydroxy acid in it (glycolic acid or lactic acid) after you have been on the CSR at least a month. The acids can be irritating to it's best not to add in something like this until you are established on the CSR. I can recommend Lac-Hydrin Five, it has 5% lactic acid which will mildly exfoliate and help those hyperpigmentation spots go quicker. There is also Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, it is 7-8% glycolic acid which is a stronger AHA than lactic acid. So it is not for sensitive skin people.

As for using the CSR gel for spot treatment, you should use it all over as Dan shows us to do. But if you want to apply an extra dab of BP on an active pimple, I sometimes do that and it works fine. But BP is a great preventative so it will work its best if you apply it all over your usual acne prone areas to prevent future breakouts, as well as using it on active pimples to help them decrease and clear up!

Hope this helps!

Thanks jamina and brandy. I'll check out that dark spot thread for sure. I'm really scared of the AHA it really burns my skin, but thanks for the icing information. I'll see if it delays the pimple from surfacing or if it is actually helping. I'll keep an eye on that.

Date: Setember 15, 2006

It's been a week officially on Dan's regimine. I have to say that Dans CSR gel is less drying and irritating to my skin than Proactiv's 2.5% BP. I don't know why though. My skin is beginning to get use the medication, well, at least it feels like its getting use to it.

Good news: Cheeck and temple area clear for a week. Nice. My chin is clear too, except for a little that came up because I was resting my head on my hand when I was reading posts yesterday. I really have to start watching that, but it's just such a habit.

Bad news: Or potentially bad news that is. I see a little red mark on my lip, right after I shaved today. I think it's a shaving thing (like cut or irritation), but we'll see in a few days. I also see a little red mark on my nose. NO! I swear if that turns intoa pimple, I'm going to be pissed. I was doing so well for the week, and then this. Err. I'm going to ice them immediate just incase for preventive measures.

The t-zone area still has those pimples that have been surfacing. The one I popped over my eyebrow is healing, but it's going to leave a dark hyperpigmentation spot. Err.

Questions:

Is there anyone that puts on BP three times a day? Is it even safe too?

I am asking because where I live and work, I sweat a lot, and it's a warehouse atmosphere so there's a lot of dust and germs all over the place. When I get home I shower, and wash my face again. But I'm afraid that the BP will really irritate my skin it I apply it again, (and then again before bed, making it 3 times a day). Right now I'm not reapplying, but I'm thinking that that is why these red marks on my lip and nose have appeared--because I didn't reapply the BP. I mean, I've only been on Dan's CSR for a week, but it's been working really well. I don't want one misstep in the CSR to screw my face up even more.

Do anybody have any advice? Especially, since I do shower after I get home from work, so I wash my face 3 times a day.

Thanks

Paranoid Dude

Occasionally I'll need to wash my face mid-way during the day, like after I've gone on a bike ride. At those times, I just rinse my face off with water (not wash with a cleanser) and apply moisturizer. If it's a long time until my night-time application, I'll mix a half dose of BP with the moisturizer and apply it in one step.

I haven't had any problems with that, but I do it only occasionally. I don't recommend a third CSR application during the day. I would find it too irritating.

Cam >B)

Questions:

Is there anyone that puts on BP three times a day? Is it even safe too?

I am asking because where I live and work, I sweat a lot, and it's a warehouse atmosphere so there's a lot of dust and germs all over the place. When I get home I shower, and wash my face again. But I'm afraid that the BP will really irritate my skin it I apply it again, (and then again before bed, making it 3 times a day). Right now I'm not reapplying, but I'm thinking that that is why these red marks on my lip and nose have appeared--because I didn't reapply the BP. I mean, I've only been on Dan's CSR for a week, but it's been working really well. I don't want one misstep in the CSR to screw my face up even more.

Do anybody have any advice? Especially, since I do shower after I get home from work, so I wash my face 3 times a day.

Thanks

Paranoid Dude

I wouldn't apply the bp after work just wash and moisturize. Then wash again at night then use bp then moisturizer. That way it's not too irritating. I use Cetaphil face wash when I have to wash after work just because it is less drying and probably the most gentle.

I swear by my "mid-day booster" - just a very tiny amount of BP. It's more of a psychological boost than anything else. If I ever had to wash my face again during the day I would absolutely apply a bit more BP - but definitely not a full application, maybe a quarter. :)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks alot, guys/gal for the info. It seems that it is a trial by basis type thing with the mid-day BP application.

I'll just have to experiemnt.

Date: September 17, 2006

The honey moon is over. I have 6 pimples today. Three have surfaced and the others will soon do it too. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what happened. I'm so mad at the moment that I don't really want to get into details. I'll come back on Monday when I've calmed down, and edit this reply.

I'm so mad, irritated, dissappointed, sad.

edit:

Date: September 18, 2006.

So, yeah, the honeymoon is over. I've read that the second week usually brings on a break out, but this was just ridiculous. Half my face is clearing up for a week, and then in a matter of two days,--1 and a half, I get a major break out. WTF? One under my left eye? One on my left cheek, one on my left cheek bone, one on the bridge of my nose, one on my other cheek. Those are just the red cyst like ones that hurt. I popped a few of them. I don't even want to start on my t-zone. All these little bumps are starting to form, I'm going to go crazy if they all turn into hurting zits--which is usually the case for me.

I decided not to ice while the pimple is in mid-stage (before you can clean it out). I decided to ice afterwards though, to keep the after effects to a minimal.

I do think I need a light application of BP midday. Maybe that was why I broke out, I decided against it late in the week. We'll see. I applied it today, and it is a little disjarring to my skin. I really need to figure out what to do. Any suggestions?

Or

Maybe my skin (flaky and dry) started to clog my pores and exacerbate my skin condition. I've lightly exfoliated to get rid of the dead skin that may be clogging my pores. We'll see what will happen next.

Still sad, mad, and disappointed in what's happening. I'll stick with the CSR for two months, if it doesn't help drastically, then I'm going to have to try something else. (Crosses fingers)

hey david,

Haha yeah, its really funny that we are the same height and weight, and Asian too!

Sorry to hear that you had a new breakout, damn I totally feel you on those devastating days.

It seems like your acne history isn't as extensive as mine, well mine isn't extensive, just that one severe stretch for half a year that came to control with accutane but...

Good luck to you with the CSR, i'll be keeping up with this log.

Date: September 30, 2006

So, the past two weeks have been quite trying for me. I've been sticking to the regimene religiously. All those small flesh bumps have all surfaced and had to "cleaned"--if you know what I mean.

Bad News: Last week, 2 pimples came and went on my left cheek. One pimple was in the same exact spot, under the eye, as the day before. The right check is clear and clearing up. There was also a huge one on my nose that is clearing up, and my t-zone is utterly out of control. It seems that my t-zone takes a lot longer to clear than else where. I wonder why.

I have a new one right in between my two eyes. It is only a little pink, but it will turn into a huge ugly and painful one if I don't keep an eye on it and be gentle with it. I got a little on right under my left eyebrow. Why do I get them is such weird places? It'll probably come out itself is a few days, not too worried about it.

One of those original flesh bumps on my forehead is huge now, and hurting. So sad. Right on the bridge of my nose I have flesh color bumps, 2 of them, I'm so hoping they don't become huge hurting ones, but if I follow the same pattern as the previous flesh color bumps, then I'm done for next week.

Good News: My skin is really getting use to the CSR BP. So, after I moisturize it isn't as irritated as before. As a result my skin is producing less and less oil, so I hope that this directly leads to my skin clearing up.

Things that I have noticed: I've noticed that when I get really stressed out, my face gets really hot, like all the blood is rushing to the surface of my face. My face gets more oily during this time too. And soon, like within a day, I am hit with those deep red pimples. I've read that when you get stressed out your body sends a large amout of white t cells to the surface of your skin, and as a physical consequence of your immune system, a rash or hives may break out. Of course, I'm no expert, but shit, it seems somewhat connected to me getting these red hurting pimples. Now it doesn't account for the extra oil production.

Lately, I've been recognizing when my face gets really hot, (didn't I say that alread?). I guess the key point is that it's not all from skin irritation but also from me being stressed out from whatever I'm stressed out about. So, I've been trying to control that, by being more mindful of how my body is doing. Whenever I feel my face is hot, I try to calm myself down, through deep breathing and what not.

Now this is all anecdotal, but we'll see.

It's been three weeks since I've started. I'm hoping to see some more improvement. My t-zone is out of control. It's so frustrating.

David, if it makes you feel better, I broke out all through week 2 and week 3 - but have seen tremendous results since then. Stick with it man - you'll be happy you did.

October 3, 2006

Thanks 24m, I hope that is the case.

Good news. My right cheek is clear, and so is my left--just have hyperpigmentation.

Bad news: Have zit on my hair line, but that doesn't bother me because it's not a prominent part of my face. The flesh color bumps that were on the bridge of my nose, one is swollen now--just as I feared. the whole t-zone is still a disaster--I popped a zit there today. It looks like someone shot my t-zone with a pellet gun. Really stressed out from work too. (Deep breathing--let it all go.)....Errr.

On November 8 it will be 2 months since I have started the CRS program. I am sad to say that while my cheeks got better, pimples on my forhead got worse and my T-zone got worse. And I have recently gotten pimples on my chin, and on my nose.

Sorry to say, that CRS was not my answer. I followed application technique exactly. Back to the drawing board. This shit is so depressing and frustrating. I know you all know how I feel.

Good luck to you all.

Hi David,

November 8th is still over 2 weeks away, so you are right at about 6weeks or so right now. Try not to give up just yet. It can take some people up to 3 months to see sutainable results.

Let's review your products and your technique and see if we can tweak it a bit.

what products are you using and exactly HOW are you using them?