Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

Slowly coming off of BP

Alright ... I must admit, I love the regimen.. BP is awesome at keeping my skin for the most part at bay... but my redmarks are really unbearable right now.. and BP is getting kind of expensive for me. I really want to *very slowly* start getting my skin un-used to BP lol. Has anyone slowly come off of it? Pleasssee share your experiences with me :pray::pray::pray:

Did your redmarks improve/what was your alternative?

Thank you :D

and maybe when I start using it at night, I can just use an alternative in the morning... and slowly use less and less bp!

Guest buttonit

i never used BP but i would suggest slowly going off of it like you said. do it 1x a day, then every other day, then 1x a week, then stop. in the meantime for the day or night that you don't use BP, look for a good cleanser. try one of dans recommended ones. or you can get a glycolic facial cleanser (i use "M.D. forte iii cleanser"(they have i and ii also which are lower % glycolic acid) which can be bought online. it lasts for about 3 months and makes your skin feel good. also, my skin has stayed good even after i stopped taking doxycyline. i've been off of it for about 2 months now. after you're done washing your face, pat dry it with a towel :).

Guest buttonit

im nec77 if you remember him :). i have a new account so people wont be mean to me :D:D

im nec77 if you remember him :). i have a new account so people wont be mean to me :D :D

Bring back nec77 pls. :ninja:

you going to mess with ACV?

Naw not yet.. im kind of nervous for that. I want to try aloe vera gel first because I think that wil be gentler..

I don't have any recommendations for topicals( altho Differen seems better than BP so far for red marks although I haven't used it long enough to be sure ). Blue light therapy might be something to look into. It souds suspicious at first but alot of people are finding success with it. It just came to mind for me because I always remember their selling point that it was as affective as BP w/ out the side effects.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=82835

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=109129

hm mandy it seems like ur skin is BP dependant. similar to mine (well it was). actually i use clindoxyl (which has BP in it but i find it less drying) because last year my acne seemed to be under control, i stopped and i was fine for a month, then my forehead (acne prone spot) exploded, so then i ran out and bought clindoxyl again and it went away.

but yah those red/brown marks were so annoying because i was tired of wearing makeup, i went out and got Retin-A and hydroquoine (bleaching cream) which worked well for a few months but then stopped because the side effects of oily/delicate/sensitive skin were too much for me... needless to say i ended up getting a sunburn, peeled again and now im super oily and trying to recover... i haven't used any products in a month because my skin was too sensitive, but now i just got some more clindoxyl (its perscription) because i got a massive breakout of my forehead again...

SO my conclusion is...... after going through ALL that, i wish i never experimented with other crap and what i had before was so much easier to deal with than now. THEREFORE, i would advise you to just keep using BP if it keeps you clear. i find that having red marks SUCKS but makeup always does a decent job of covering up... while having active pimples just plain suck cuz u can't cover up.

and yes while i have this love/hate relationship with makeup, i figure, you know what... its a temporary solution to a temporary problem. so there's nothing wrong with wearing makeup. im still young (almost 19) and eventually WILL "grow out" of acne, and red marks take time to heal anyways. whether it be another year or whatever...... time heals everyyyyyyything.

Hi,

I was BP but went off it because of the reasons already expressed in this thread. I DO believe that your skin becomes used to just letting BP do all the work, so it will be a VERY VERY, even LONGER time for it to get back to normal (ie if u hadnt used BP in the first place maybe it would be better by now naturally).

Anyway, I went off it for this reason, and it got WORSE. Alot WORSE. But i thought i'd go through the tough times, literally by this time I had given up and mentally, I had given in to my acne. I figured this is my life now and this is what I have to live with for the next fear years, rather than try to fight it.

Still, I ate well, really healthy, kept away from foods that would irritate my skin, as well as cleansed every morning and night (and moisturise). Less is more, I only use Dove soap bar and a light water like cleanser (non comedogenic) and its been 4 weeks and I can see the improvement. Im very proud of myself cos I know I did this the natural way without putting alot of crap on my face, sometimes i get lazy and dont even use moisturiser and it feels good. All the oiliness I was getting before has settled and my skin is almost back to the way it was (bit of oil on Tzone but otherwise normal).

So this was my experience, although Im not yet 100 percent clear, I think you should slowly go off it either way.

It will get better in due time obviously with along with good health.

I used to use a finger-length application at night and in the morning, but my face was too red during the day, so I started only applying it at night and applying moisturizer during the day. It worked fine and my skin actually looked better, but about 2 weks later, I started breaking out really bad. I fixed the problem by applying 1 1/2 finger lengths of bp at night, and using about a 1 inch length of bp during the day 3 times a week. It still seems to work as effective as before without all the redness and dryness I used to have. You may want to try that and see how it works for you.

i figure, you know what... its a temporary solution to a temporary problem. so there's nothing wrong with wearing makeup. im still young (almost 19) and eventually WILL "grow out" of acne, and red marks take time to heal anyways. whether it be another year or whatever...... time heals everyyyyyyything.

Well I hope it is a temporary problem for you, but I am almost 23 & my "teenage" acne is still going strong!

I have not had completely 100% clear skin since I was 12...

To Mandy: Oceanmist is right though, the red marks WILL fade evetually, even if you continue using BP. BP just slooooows down the process. I am just now starting the CSR, but I have been using BP in various ways off & on for 7 years. On the wonderful, few occasons when I have had a good skin week (or month, or two!!) the red marks did start to clear. I've gotten to the point before where I had only about two small zits at a time and very little red marks, and that was using a BP cream AND cleanser twice a day, so less BP should be even better for red marks. If BP is keeping you clear then keep using it & give the red marks time. It can take a YEAR for them to fade sometime, but they will fade!!!

About expense: this is one of the cheapest "systems" I have encountered. There is a lot more stuff out there that is much more expensive that does not work. Not a whole lot else is cheaper....

Also, I have done & still continue to do the healthy eating & water thing as much as possible; but guess what, that is no magic cure either, as many others will probably tell you.

Guest Johnny Drama

I used to use BP for about 3 years. I never used BP gel or anything but i used a face wash that had BP in it. This worked great but my face always felt tight and i hated the fact that my skin was dependant on the BP. So I stopped using it alltogether at the beginning of this year. Heres what i did and what happened.

I stopped using the BP facewash, i didn't wean myself off it.

> Skin was good for the first 2 weeks

> After that i had a bit off a breakout and for about a month or so my skin was at it's worst it had been in years (I have mild acne and i would say it went up to high mild amost moderate). That was when i found this site.

> I kept on doing nothing and it gradually got better and calmed down.

> Over the last 6-7 months or so I have just washed my face with water morning and night and put on moisturiser and my skin has been improving and been pretty well behaved.

> I have just started using a BHA liquid to help with exfoliation on my chin which is my only problem area now. It has made my skin look and feel smooth and soft.

So i guess what im trying to say is that you can probably expect a bit of a breakout after stopping BP but it will eventually get better and now i feel alot better knowing that my skin is not dependant on chemicals and it can heal itself naturally. And yes i dont really get many red marks anymore because when i do get them they fade much quicker now, plus the BHA has gotten rid of them ;)

I dont get why people say your skin becomes dependant on bp. You started using bp in the first place because you were an acne sufferer. Once you stop using it, if your acne comes back its not because of the bp, it is because you are still an acne sufferer. The bp was effective at treating it while you were on it but its not a cure. Just my opinion though.

I really want to give it up as well but i am afraid i am still acne prone.