Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agoraphobia

Accutane and Alcohol?

i've been rinking like a fish on accutane and i can tell you....NOTHING!

doesn't mean shit, if you're young then your liver can handle it, its not that much of a potent drug for peeps sake

oooooooooooooooo, you're sooooooooooooo cool!!! Live hard, leave a beautiful corpes eh?

just cuz your liver can handle a bit more when your younger doesn't mean you should try and kill it just to see!

don't drink (like an idiot) while on accutane, it's only 6 months.

I had a couple on saturday night, hopefully that wont effect me, i usually would dirnk abit for a mates birthday but cause of tane i only had 3-4, so that shouldnt affect me right

you should be fine just don't make it a regular occurance. I have the occasional drink but id rather keep my liver healthy and just wait a few more months.

Just wondering on why you're not supposed to drink alcohol when on the tane

You're not really supposed to drink on it and after my last course, I wouldn't recommend it. The first time I was on accutane I went to Ibiza for two weeks and partied solidly and was absolutely fine, but when I had to go back on it again last year, I had a couple of nights on the beers and just went crazy. I was like a nasty little monster (not like me at all), I even ended up having a stand up argument with my best friend in the street (so charming). Just take it easy.

Alcohol is an additional stress on the liver - if your liver tests are elevated at all, don't drink at all.

Alcohol also causes a spike in triglyercides that can show up on your lipid tests if you've had any within 72 hours of the test. This messes up your results and can freak out your doctor who may pull your med.

I am a daily drinker. When you get old like me you forgo the drunken party nights and you have a daily drink (or 2) with dinner. Sounds dull, I know, but after a while hangovers are just hellish. :sick:

My doc told me not to worry about my drinks. I told her I couldn't find anything in the accutane lit that says to avoid alcohol but that there was a great big label on my box that said not to drink. She said they put that label on there for the college students who tend to get drunk.

I think you are safe since they test you every month. If your triglycerides start doing up, back off. Or if the liver function stuff comes back bad.

I also heard that you shouldn't drink for 72 hours before the blood test. I don't know how this is helpful since you really should be concerned about how your liver is functioning during the drinking times, too.

Anyways, don't sweat it until your test. If it comes back bad, abstain for 30 days until the next test.

Cheers,

Platinum

I don't know how this is helpful since you really should be concerned about how your liver is functioning during the drinking times, too.

Because the point of the test is to see what Accutane is doing to your triglyercides. If the alcohol is spiking the triglycerides, it muddies the picture. It's the same reason you are supposed to be fasted for your lipid tests - because food in your system increases the levels and they can't tell what's really going on.

I don't know how this is helpful since you really should be concerned about how your liver is functioning during the drinking times, too.

Because the point of the test is to see what Accutane is doing to your triglyercides. If the alcohol is spiking the triglycerides, it muddies the picture. It's the same reason you are supposed to be fasted for your lipid tests - because food in your system increases the levels and they can't tell what's really going on.

Am I supposed to fast before each test? The phlebotomist (sp?) said fast for the first test but I don't need to for the rest.

If they are testing for lipids you are supposed to be fasted. The blood tech may have though that after the initial they only test for pregnancy which doesn't require fasting. Check with your derm to be sure, but my blood lab won't even do the lipid test if the patient doesn't confirm that they were fasted.

My brother took Tane when he was 17. He drank like a fish. 6 years later he still can't drink hard liquor without throwing up. Any hard liquor at all.

Just wondering on why you're not supposed to drink alcohol when on the tane

an off topic question, im new to the site. your acne is severe right? is that why you are in accutane?