Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Michael Jackson

could acne be considered a disablity?

For some people, tho....acne is severely disfiguring. I can imagine that for them.....it certainly must seem like a disability.

Yes, I've seen a lot of pics where it looks like terrible burns...Although, that doesn't happen to a majority of people with acne...I do feel for people who have it this bad, I know how cruel people can be...

But they still have a choice...

My sister is unable to go out independently if she wants....People with acne still have the ABILITY to go out and lead normal lives....although, they may feel self-conscious and choose not to....

My sister doesn't have that choice...at all

I'm currently on accutane, so I know what it's like to have bad acne, but it's still nothing close to what some people have to go through....I'm also working with children who are unable to talk and use commuication boards, etc to communicate..and who have to have special diets just so they don't aspirate on their food and die..these kids get stares EVERYDAY...regardless of pimples (with acne you may go through periods when you are clear)..And I just don't think it's fair to them to compare acne and what they have to go through...Sorry for those it pisses off

Guest chipmunk_spunk

What counts as a disability anyway?

I just don't think it's fair to them to compare acne and what they have to go through...Sorry for those it pisses off

I understand where you're coming from and I agree, however, if the disfiguring acne debilitates a person to the extent that they isolate themselves and don't live life to the fullest, it truly is disabling. Perhaps not to the degree of others with serious physical disabilities, but it is a disbility to them....and it should be validated, imo.

I would assume it's something that's disabling in some way.

it depends on who you ask...

here are a few:

Disability refers to the temporary or long-term reduction of a person's capacity to function. The concept of disability encompasses many different dimensions of health and functioning, and the complex interactions with one's environment. The International Classification of Functioning and Disability (ICIDH-2) classifies functioning at the levels of body or body part, whole person, and whole person in social context. ...

www.agingstats.gov/chartbook2000/glossary.html

Federal law defines a "Disability" as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits or restricts the condition, manner, or duration under which an average person in the population can perform a major life activity, such as walking, seeing, hearing speaking, breathing, learning, working, or taking care of oneself. (An impairment or diagnosis, in and of itself, does not necessarily constitute a disability: it must "substantially limit" these activities. ...

www.fas.harvard.edu/~sdr/glossary.html

A medical condition or injury that prevents the individual from performing his or her duties

www.okccc.edu/humanresources/Glossary.html

A physical or mental condition that makes an insured person incapable of performing one or more duties of his or her occupation.

www.saia.co.za/ConsumerIssues/CI_Glossary.htm

a physical or mental impairment that constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment

www.ccer.org/natamer/definitions.htm

Loss or lack of normal ability of an individual to move himself/herself and /or objects from one place to another.

7thsurvey.ncert.nic.in/glossary.htm

the inability to perform an activity in a normal way as a result of an impairment, such as not being able to walk due to a weakness or paralysis in a leg.

ymghealthinfo.org/content.asp

A physical or mental impairment that limits major life activities of an individual.

www.kellerlowry.com/glossary/glossary_d.htm

While I understand where you're coming from, I think that it's misguided. I've had horrible acne and I know how painful it is, but I also have a real physical disability and I can tell you that there is a world of difference between the two. Why on earth would anybody WANT to have a disability? I'd gladly give up my handicapped parking pass and free parking at meters if it meant that I could be healthy and even lead a semblance of a normal life.

Acne can be disfiguring and emotionally painful, but it can't be compared to other disabilities in the same context because it doesn't have the same consequences, monetary cost (I know Accutane is expensive, but try paying over $15k a year WITH great insurance for just some of my meds), and long-term effects. They're just not comparable in those terms.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

hmmmm, by those definitions acne could never be classified as a disability, no matter how severe it was. Unless you're in a job which depends upon you having clear skin in which case it is a disability by a couple of those definitions. All a bit vague though don't you think.

It was a perfectly valid question. If you have an answer I'd love to hear it.

No, it's not..

My sister has a disability..and i'd feel like a piece of shit if I even entertained the notion that what I have to go through is remotely close to what she goes through everyday....

I'm sorry to hear that. :( Just out of interest, does she still enjoy life in spite of her disability? Is she as happy as an 'average' person or does it really get to her?

If you're intrested in the cure, it's called 5 Across the eyes.

its always good to know that even in a forum packed of extremely nice and caring people, theres still some idiot that thinks hes funny by being an asshole.

congrats.

anyway, i dont think acne is a disability, like others said, if it was labeled one, then who knows what is next. I think thats just going a little overboard.

hmmmm, by those definitions acne could never be classified as a disability, no matter how severe it was. Unless you're in a job which depends upon you having clear skin in which case it is a disability by a couple of those definitions. All a bit vague though don't you think.

No, it's not..

My sister has a disability..and i'd feel like a piece of shit if I even entertained the notion that what I have to go through is remotely close to what she goes through everyday....

I'm sorry to hear that. :( Just out of interest, does she still enjoy life in spite of her disability? Is she as happy as an 'average' person or does it really get to her?

I have let acne prevent me from doing a lot of things...I almost had a relationship end because of it...But it was my CHOICE...I chose not to tell him about my insecurities....And I chose not to go out when my face was broken out...

If acne was considered a disability what about those who have horrific scars from burns/accidents/etc???

Although, I do realize that some burn scars would result in a disability because you may never be able to go out in the sun again...and that would def. affect your independence...

chipmunk_spunk, thank you for being so concerned...She realizes that she is lucky because she's still able to do some things...She's the happiest person I know..but she still gets down sometimes because of it..When I go out and drive, and she can't I feel terrible...She may mention things evey once in a while, but overall she's really happy..And I've seen children who have a really, really hard time...So, she is really lucky in that respect...

I know some are sensitive to this issue...And I let acne control my life....but I had a choice, and those who have a disability don't...

I just see a lot of things in my major/profession and it changes the way I look at things...

A man at my clinic just got diagnosed with ALS (Amyotropic lateral sclerosis) and was told in a few months he'd be in a wheel chair...on a feeding tube....using a computer to communicate...and would eventually lose all control of his muscles and die (by aspiration-choking on his own saliva)

But that stats show that he'll probably be in this state for 5 years before his body completely gives out....

I suppose I just don't look at things the same anymore

society already makes a big deal out of many illnesses and ailments. If peopel made a bigger deal about acne, there would be even more stress upon the sufferers.

Acne generally is a non life threatening disease, it does not afect ones health or life expectancy.

Acne is just too common to be considered a disability. There's proof it affects your mind (although society builds the foundation) but honestly WTF does acne do? nothing. If acne is a disability, then so is chicken pox.

if you had retardation and had acne it WOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR LIFE.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

I have let acne prevent me from doing a lot of things...I almost had a relationship end because of it...But it was my CHOICE...I chose not to tell him about my insecurities....And I chose not to go out when my face was broken out...

If acne was considered a disability what about those who have horrific scars from burns/accidents/etc???

Although, I do realize that some burn scars would result in a disability because you may never be able to go out in the sun again...and that would def. affect your independence...

chipmunk_spunk, thank you for being so concerned...She realizes that she is lucky because she's still able to do some things...She's the happiest person I know..but she still gets down sometimes because of it..When I go out and drive, and she can't I feel terrible...She may mention things evey once in a while, but overall she's really happy..And I've seen children who have a really, really hard time...So, she is really lucky in that respect...

I know some are sensitive to this issue...And I let acne control my life....but I had a choice, and those who have a disability don't...

I just see a lot of things in my major/profession and it changes the way I look at things...

A man at my clinic just got diagnosed with ALS (Amyotropic lateral sclerosis) and was told in a few months he'd be in a wheel chair...on a feeding tube....using a computer to communicate...and would eventually lose all control of his muscles and die (by aspiration-choking on his own saliva)

But that stats show that he'll probably be in this state for 5 years before his body completely gives out....

I suppose I just don't look at things the same anymore

When we look through the eyes of someone who is going to die, it allows us, just for a second, to appreciate the value of life. Sadly we tend to forget that feeling pretty quickly.

It is also interesting to note that your sister is a very happy person in spite of her disability. Happiness, or self esteem, whichever you want to call it (they are the same thing) is a state of mind and physical state cannot alter that if you don't let it.

BTW, I read an interesting quote the other day by Helen Keller (she was deaf, blind and dumb):

"security is mostly a superstition; it does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

i.e. Get out and live life. Take some risks. We must make the most of life while we have the chance. :)

Guest chipmunk_spunk

chipmunk_spunk, thanks for the wonderful quote!

:D Any time.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

No, it's not..

So inform me of something. A paraplegic Vs a quadraplegic. One still has use of thier hands, the other neither hands nor feet. Barely any control in most cases. Is the paraplegic not disabled.

What you're talking about is severity of disability, not disability itself. It's the classic line of 'there are always people worse off', but it doesn't really do alot for anyone. Other than making someone feel guilty for feeling a certain way.

It's great that you have the ability to feel fortunate and I'm ever sympathetic to what your Sister must suffer, but i still believe it has no bearing on whether or not acne disables sufferers.

Acne is as much a disability as A.D.D. Which by the way the cure for has been found. If you're intrested in the cure, it's called 5 Across the eyes.

Yeah for sure. And the cure for depression is 3 across the neck. Giving children a good 'ol whack is what cures chemical imbalances.

Education has been known to aid in the reconstruction of an ignorant mind, you might want to google it.

It really brightens my day when people insist on classifying their problems into the "feel bad for me" catagory.

Here's how I think it lies:

Acne can cause you to be depressed, yes. That's your CHOICE. You choose how much you let it affect you. If you have other mental conditions that contribute to that, that's not the acne. If someone were in completely perfect mental health (haha.. like such a person exists.) they would be able to choose how much acne can affect their mental condition.

A mental condition that you have no control over and impairs you in some way would be a disabilty. A physical condition that impairs you in some way would be a disability. A medical condition that doesn't affect your mental health in any way, unless you insist that it does, is NOT a disability.

Even calling something a disabilty is horrible.. I've known so many people that were "disabled" that were far more sucessful and better at life than "normal" people. Look at someone like Stephen Hawking.. the man's "disabled" and he's the most respect physicist in the field.

If you want to be depressed about your acne, and pretend that you're disabled, fine. I couldn't care less about how you view your acne.. but don't think that anyone else is going to classify a dermatological condition as a disability.

Again, one man's jackass opinion. Sorry is I offended anyone..

Alex

Grow_To_Overthrow,

I never said anything about certain disabilities not being 'severe' enough...

Parapledgics and quadraplegics both lack the ABILITY to do some things...(without assistive devices...and even with these devices getting around can be very difficult)

People with and without acne have ABILITY to do the same things in life....people with acne may feel shitty and may not want to go out because their faces are broken out...but they still have the CHOICE....

People with acne don't lack independence in any way....

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Grow_To_Overthrow,

I never said anything about certain disabilities not being 'severe' enough...

Parapledgics and quadraplegics both lack the ABILITY to do some things...(without assistive devices...and even with these devices getting around can be very difficult)

People with and without acne have ABILITY to do the same things in life....people with acne may feel shitty and may not want to go out because their faces are broken out...but they still have the CHOICE....

People with acne don't lack independence in any way....

Ever suffered from depression and anxiety as a result of severe nodulo cystic acne. Mental illness, which absolutely can result from suffering acne, is pretty hard. Definately not a circumstance in which one can make clear decisions, perform tasks un-aided or be independant.

When you're sitting in a dark room with infected welts all over your face and have fallen into a semi-conscious state of mind due to complete lack of confidence, teetering on suicide, seriously doubting the possibility of ever being happy again, is your ability not impaired. Are you not dis-abled in its literal sense? Do you not require assistive devices, be it medication, counselling and the like, to perform some tasks? Seriously.

Guest brian.

however, do all people who suffer from acne suffer from depression? i had pretty severe cystic acne, but i did not experience this. yes, some do experience these mental byproducts of acne, but many do not. i've seen a number of my classmates with acne, on the severe end of the spectrum, going out and having fun. herein lies the difference. NO ONE who is a parapledgic or quadriplegic has the ability to use what they have lost. diabetics, another group who some people considered "disabled", cannot produce insulin. no type 1 diabetic produces insulin; it is not a case of some doing so, and some unable to.

more importantly, i'm wondering why you would ever want to be labeled as disabled? what are the benefits to doing so? having people feel badly for you? as a diabetic, i'm constantly having to fight misconceptions that i'm unable to do things that people without diabetes are able to do. i hate being labeled as a disabled person, because i am not. instead of using a condition as a crutch, i think we should use it to learn and grow stronger.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

however, do all people who suffer from acne suffer from depression? i had pretty severe cystic acne, but i did not experience this. yes, some do experience these mental byproducts of acne, but many do not. i've seen a number of my classmates with acne, on the severe end of the spectrum, going out and having fun. herein lies the difference. NO ONE who is a parapledgic or quadriplegic has the ability to use what they have lost. diabetics, another group who some people considered "disabled", cannot produce insulin. no type 1 diabetic produces insulin; it is not a case of some doing so, and some unable to.

Absoluetly, i completely agree that not all sufferers are effected the same way. The human mind is a very complex organ. It's not directly correlated to losing the use of a limb, but can be disabling in many ways. Sometimes mildy, other times severely. As stated previously, several times.

more importantly, i'm wondering why you would ever want to be labeled as disabled? what are the benefits to doing so? having people feel badly for you? as a diabetic, i'm constantly having to fight misconceptions that i'm unable to do things that people without diabetes are able to do. i hate being labeled as a disabled person, because i am not.

I don't recall the part where i stated wanting to be labelled disabled? I'm simply expressing my view that acne can be classed a disability, in its literal sense.

instead of using a condition as a crutch, i think we should use it to grow stronger.

Absolutely, and i do just that. Have been for years. Taken myself on an epic journey of self-discovery. How exactly does suggesting acne can be a disability prevent me from growing stronger?

I did answer you, you cheeky fucker. :D

I think acne is by far the most overlooked condition today. If people get special treatment because they are obesse, shouldn't people with acne get special treatment? I don't know what, maybe all this time at the org has warped my brain.

thoughts?

acne did not make me crazy but my scars and bad skin texture (huge pores) did. Not them per se but the way my family and relatives have treated me because of it. It's very strange but when I was very young, I was pretty ugly, and my family/relatives always pushed that in my face. After puberty, I grew more into my face and was considered pretty, if what others tell me are to be believed. That shut them up for awhile. And then I got hit with acne and in a year and half I went from having normal albeit greasy skin to scars and huge pores. I regularly get called a "freak" or "monster" in family gatherings (my family does not mince words), and get constantly asked why I don't do something because I look "disgusting." The worst thing is the way they look at me, with that slightly aghast expression like a college kid staring at a large F. THey make me feel like a total social reject and I act accordingly. I have problems with speaking to ppl face to face because I feel like a bunch of pores. I can't relate to guys at all unless they come on really strong, but then only creeps do that and I steer away from those.

long story short - yes, acne and scars has made me crazy. Do i deserve special treatment? Hell yeah

Ok so what if acne is considered a disability? Would you expect to get a blue badge and go park right at the front of the car park? Would you expect some sort of special treatment when going about your daily business? I know I wouldn't.

A disability is when it disables someone from doing something. People with acne are not physically unable to do anything because of their acne. The mental effects of acne are debatable, but they are effects of acne, and not acne in itself.