Aleve for premenstr...

Notifications
Clear all

Aleve for premenstrual and mid-cycle acne

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 09/06/2006 2:51 pm

I saw a thread in the Research forum recently about naproxen sodium (Aleve) ... said it was supposed to be very effective against premenstrual acne. link here

I tried it out this month, and it worked very well for me. I took two Aleve tablets each day, one with breakfast and one right after dinner -- and I only got two tiny, tiny pimples the whole week.

Normally during PMS week I would get a number of these little ones popping up on my nose and chin each day.

I stopped taking a regular dose of the Aleve as soon my period started, although I have taken one at night a couple of times since. From what I understand, you really have to be careful not to take too much ... it can cause stomach bleeding and other unpleasant side effects.

Has anyone else tried this?

MemberMember
(@luvsun24)

Posted : 09/06/2006 3:57 pm

I saw a thread in the Research forum recently about naproxen sodium (Aleve) ... said it was supposed to be very effective against premenstrual acne. link here

I tried it out this month, and it worked very well for me. I took two Aleve tablets each day, one with breakfast and one right after dinner -- and I only got two tiny, tiny pimples the whole week.

Normally during PMS week I would get a number of these little ones popping up on my nose and chin each day.

I stopped taking a regular dose of the Aleve as soon my period started, although I have taken one at night a couple of times since. From what I understand, you really have to be careful not to take too much ... it can cause stomach bleeding and other unpleasant side effects.

Has anyone else tried this?

Makes sense since naproxen is anti-inflammatory and acne is the result of inflammation after a hormonal flare-up.

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 09/06/2006 9:15 pm

That is an interesting study. I read it and it seems methodologically sound, even given the smallish sample size. (I even noticed they did the appropriate statistical tests - I'm such a research geek sometimes....) I missed trying this out myself this month, but I'll give it a try next month.

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 09/21/2006 10:47 am

2nd month trying Aleve for PMS acne -- excellent results again. Think I'm on to something here!

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 09/21/2006 2:28 pm

2nd month trying Aleve for PMS acne -- excellent results again. Think I'm on to something here!

Do you start prior to PMS week or right when PMS week starts? I'm wondering if results would be best if you started a couple of days before you normally start breaking out?

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 09/21/2006 5:16 pm

Do you start prior to PMS week or right when PMS week starts? I'm wondering if results would be best if you started a couple of days before you normally start breaking out?

I meant to start a couple days ahead of the week, but my cycle shifted up on me this month, so I ended up playing catch-up.

Still worked out fine .... the first evening that I noticed the telltale tiny pimples starting on my nose, I started taking the Aleve, and that was the end of it.

MemberMember
(@a-shizzle)

Posted : 09/21/2006 10:25 pm

My main pimple problem with with ovulation..that's when I get them.

Maybe I could take them a few days before ovulation until a few days after..anyone else have the massive pimple problem that occurs with ovulation?

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 09/23/2006 9:23 pm

My main pimple problem with with ovulation..that's when I get them.

Maybe I could take them a few days before ovulation until a few days after..anyone else have the massive pimple problem that occurs with ovulation?

I don't have as much trouble at ovulation as I do during PMS, but I do see a change in my skin then. One Aleve every day or two keeps me pretty clear through that part of the cycle. During PMS, I definitely need at least one tablet each day (and two is better).

MemberMember
(@libbycopeland)

Posted : 09/24/2006 10:44 pm

Does it have to be naproxen sodium (Aleve) or can it be ibuprofen---aren't they both NSAIDS?

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 09/25/2006 8:22 am

Does it have to be naproxen sodium (Aleve) or can it be ibuprofen---aren't they both NSAIDS?

The research study only examined the effectiveness of Aleve. I'm not sure if the results would be the same or not for ibuprofen? They are both antiinflammatory, so its possible you might get some clearing effects from the ibuprofen.

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 09/25/2006 9:52 am

I have tried both and find Aleve to be more effective.

MemberMember
(@libbycopeland)

Posted : 09/25/2006 10:12 am

Well, I may try it this month, which mean this is PMS week. Last month was the first month EVER where I did not get a breakout. I had started the CSR about a month before that, BUT, I had also decided to drink monstrous amounts of water the week before my period. As it happens I was also taking alot of ibuprofen everyday because of an injury. Guess what, no breakout!

If I try it, I'll report back. Thanks everyone, for posting your information - hope that this really works because it would make so many women's lives better.

MemberMember
(@a-shizzle)

Posted : 09/26/2006 2:34 pm

started the Aleve today. *crosses fingers*

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 09/26/2006 3:12 pm

started the Aleve today. *crosses fingers*

Good luck! I started it yesterday!

MemberMember
(@mandy-ann)

Posted : 09/26/2006 3:28 pm

I bought some yesterday :D I will be starting it soon.

MemberMember
(@veryvain)

Posted : 10/21/2006 9:52 am

I just wanted to say that I tried the Aleve and I have had no pimples during this time of the month. I'm so happy. Nothing I ever tried worked before. I took some around ovulation ( I tend to break out then) and one a day during PMS week and taking 2 a day 2 days before my period. I'm so thankful to those that posted this. I have also been doing the dip regime (sticking your face in hot water and soaking for one minute) but I feel the Aleve really helped internally. I always felt like I was going to have to take something internally. No topicals ever worked. Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@beauty-bot)

Posted : 10/21/2006 11:16 am

this is fricking GREAT!!!!!!!!

I'm going to suggest this to my friend who gets them around that time and she doesn't want to try the pill!

thanks so much for the idea, and for being a guinea pig for us!

:D

MemberMember
(@veryvain)

Posted : 10/21/2006 8:05 pm

You're friend won't be sorry. It works wonders. Glad Lionqueen posted about this. I've tried different topicals and have been the pill route along time ago. Was considering again but didn't want to go that route. I think the pill messes alot of people up worse. It never really did much for pms. I would also add that I was getting painful ones that sometimes wouldn't come to a head and stick around for weeks. They always left red marks. I'm so glad to have found out about this. I just figured it was just something I was going to have to deal with each month. Seemed like when my pimples would finally heal up it would be that time again. Now I have something to fight back with. I love it!

MemberMember
(@fitness_freakazoid)

Posted : 10/28/2006 10:13 pm

You're friend won't be sorry. It works wonders. Glad Lionqueen posted about this. I've tried different topicals and have been the pill route along time ago. Was considering again but didn't want to go that route. I think the pill messes alot of people up worse. It never really did much for pms. I would also add that I was getting painful ones that sometimes wouldn't come to a head and stick around for weeks. They always left red marks. I'm so glad to have found out about this. I just figured it was just something I was going to have to deal with each month. Seemed like when my pimples would finally heal up it would be that time again. Now I have something to fight back with. I love it!

Where do u get this?

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 10/28/2006 10:19 pm

Aleve is available over the counter ... it's with the rest of the OTC pain medications. It's a brand name for naproxen sodium, and you can probably get a generic or store-brand version that will work just as well.

Be sure to read the directions and do NOT exceed the recommended dose, as Aleve can cause stomach bleeding. I generally take 1-2 per day for 4-5 days during PMS week, then maybe a few more if I start to break out mid-cycle.

MemberMember
(@libbycopeland)

Posted : 10/28/2006 11:14 pm

Aleve is available over the counter ... it's with the rest of the OTC pain medications. It's a brand name for naproxen sodium, and you can probably get a generic or store-brand version that will work just as well.

You can definitely find this at the drugstore. I just picked up a generic version and am trying it this month for the first time. Hope it works! :)

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 10/29/2006 10:59 am

I am trying this for the second time (tried it last month, and I think it helped). So far, no breakouts during PMS week - if I make it until day 2 of my period with no signficant breakout, then I will conisder it a complete success!

MemberMember
(@womanscientist)

Posted : 11/03/2006 8:43 pm

Lion Queen, you success has inspired me to try this!!! :D My PMS week is usually preceded by a few sizeable pimples on my chin or cheek that take until the next month to go away (well....mostly). I'm trying it this month!! Yay!!!

W+S

MemberMember
(@fadonna)

Posted : 11/03/2006 9:21 pm

Thanks LionQueen, for the useful info. I am mid-cycle right now, and have taken Aleve once a day for the past 2 days. Only 1 small zit on the temple! Usually I have a cluster of them around my temples and jawline. Might up it to 2 a day next month, but worried about taking too much. Do you think 3 days in a row should be enough for mid-cycle acne?

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 11/03/2006 10:24 pm

Thanks LionQueen, for the useful info. I am mid-cycle right now, and have taken Aleve once a day for the past 2 days. Only 1 small zit on the temple! Usually I have a cluster of them around my temples and jawline. Might up it to 2 a day next month, but worried about taking too much. Do you think 3 days in a row should be enough for mid-cycle acne?

Yeah, 3-4 days should be plenty ... and 2 per day should be no problem. The max dosage is actually 3 per day. Glad to hear it seems to be working for you!!