Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fromchicago

Concensus Over: Chocolate is BAD!

For starters, I've always been the person that food makes no difference in acne -- I was almost sure of it!

For starters, I've been relatively clear for the past couple months or so (I still get about 3-4 pimples on face, a week on average). Well yesterday, a teacher at the local JC handed out truffle like things (peter rogiet's or something like that). They were like gold golf balls when they're wrapped up. They have several different types of chocolate thoughtout. Hard dark chocolate shell, milk chocolate inside shell, and a chocolate mouse..

Anyway, I ate 3 of these bad boys. (NOT A GOOD IDEA!). I noticed 1 new pimple on my forehead before the class was over, and by today I've gotten about 4 more. This hasnt happened to me in a little bit now!! and I'm definately attributing it to those Chocolates!!

What do you guys think??

For starters, I've always been the person that food makes no difference in acne -- I was almost sure of it!

For starters, I've been relatively clear for the past couple months or so (I still get about 3-4 pimples on face, a week on average).  Well yesterday, a teacher at the local JC handed out truffle like things (peter rogiet's or something like that).  They were like gold golf balls when they're wrapped up.  They have several different types of chocolate thoughtout.  Hard dark chocolate shell, milk chocolate inside shell, and a chocolate mouse..

Anyway, I ate 3 of these bad boys. (NOT A GOOD IDEA!).  I noticed 1 new pimple on my forehead before the class was over, and by today I've gotten about 4 more.  This hasnt happened to me in a little bit now!! and I'm definately attributing it to those Chocolates!!

What do you guys think??

For starters, I've been relatively clear for the past couple months or so (I still get about 3-4 pimples on face, a week on average).  Well yesterday, a teacher at the local JC handed out truffle like things (peter rogiet's or something like that).  They were like gold golf balls when they're wrapped up.  They have several different types of chocolate thoughtout.  Hard dark chocolate shell, milk chocolate inside shell, and a chocolate mouse..

Anyway, I ate 3 of these bad boys. (NOT A GOOD IDEA!).  I noticed 1 new pimple on my forehead before the class was over, and by today I've gotten about 4 more.  This hasnt happened to me in a little bit now!! and I'm definately attributing it to those Chocolates!!

What do you guys think??

Nope. I don't care what YOU say. FOR ME chocolate does it, FOR SURE. They did something that caused my skin to become irratated, I'm not saying they were the only cause, but they had something to do with it.

I don't eat chocolate that often, so I got a caffeine buzz and everything, and I reacted.

... and I ate them at the begining of a 5 hour class on an empty stomach.

They did it. I'm 90% sure of it.

It might not do it to you, but it does for me.Period

Nope.  I don't care what YOU say.  FOR ME chocolate does it, FOR SURE.

... and I ate them at the begining of a 5 hour class on an empty stomach.

They did it. I'm 90% sure of it.

It might not do it to you, but it does for me.

You are missing what I'm saying. I'm not saying the chocolate I ate was digested etc.. I'm saying that the chemicals reacted in a sense that CAUSED my bacteria that was already there, TO FLARE UP. - or something to that effect.

I saw and read about all the same reports that you guys are talking about, but what I'm suggesting is a different premise. Not dealing with long term diet issues, but with chemical reactions.

Nope. I don't care what YOU say. FOR ME chocolate does it, FOR SURE.

It might not do it to you, but it does for me.Period

Great... So why are you telling US this? It doesn't apply to us so I don't see how a discussion can be formed from this.

Oh and btw, non-acidic foods (such as chocalate) do not cause chemical reactions in your body. An orgasm or exposure to sun causes chemical reactions, but eating chocalate or non-acidic foods does not. So please, read up abit and learn about the topic at hand before you go off running your mouth about it. Don't mean to be rude btw, sorry.

I love how you turn it into an immediate contest! how cute...

Seriously, I don't care about your encyclopedia britanica jargin. I'm just saying what happend to me.

I'm done arguing,

PEACE!

I love how you turn it into an immediate contest! how cute...

Seriously, I don't care about your encyclopedia britanica jargin.  I'm just saying what happend to me.

I'm done arguing,

PEACE!

Guest fatman_uk

Shitty refined carbs can cause acne for some ppl. Me included.

Now don't start tellin me i don't know what causes shit for me. =; O:)

-Gaz

Food has shit to do with acne. PERIOD!

I used to follow this school of thought but not anymore. I've been following a sugar free (refined sugar, that is) diet for a month now and am getting a lot less breakouts. Any zits I do get seem to coincide with me sneaking in something that has sugar in it.

fromchicago: if you believe that your skin reacts to chocolate then this site might be of interest to you: http://www.thiele.fptoday.com/ta/acnehome.htm

I can see what you are saying Volant. You are right. Anyone can say anything and find anything they want to their advantage. So what is one to do?

Proof is in the pudding. Changed my diet and it worked for me. That's speaks larger volumes to me than what Harvard is writing. I am clear. And if you are too, cool! biggrin.gif

Chocolate causes me to break out within a day. You can say it's not true, but I'm clear after cutting out sugar (after YEARS of acne)...to those who dis the diet connection: are YOU clear?

It was my birthday couple days ago and I got lots of chocolate (all Lindt dark chocolate....one of the two types of chocolate I like) from my friends...ate lots of them....NO SINGLE NEW PIMPLE.

No I'm not clear....but my acne only come after my allergy. However, if I have no allergy (which is unlikely....cause I am allergic to more than 20 substances), I have clear skin.

Clear skin+no allergy attack (yet)+ lot of chocolate.....NO NEW ACNE for me.

My guess is that people react do chocolate differently. For some, it might not be a problem at all....but it might be a problem for others. I think it is similar to every thing in this world. Take Dan's regimen for instance, I am allergic to BP, ergo...I cannot use it. But I don't lable his method as a "BAD" thing.

To say that chocolate is evil or chocolate is bad.....in my opinion....it is simply not true for everyone.

Remember everyone, if hundreds of real scientific studies show something you don't agree with, believe the one you do agree with(Especially if the the people behind the study are selling a book, or other product.  Or have been known for woo-woo ideas.).

LOL, how sweet of your KRG ;-)

Personally, I avoided chocolate and soda for over 10 years of my life. I tried various types of avoidance such as eliminating chips, thanks to the fat "myth". I quickly brought those back. I even switched to Organic Milk and finally to no Milk and still saw no difference in my skin.

Just because it's connected to either your insulin or inflammation, this is still definately a trial and error thing. Now, I know what causes my problems. I figured out the bulk of it after doing some research and listening to former acne sufferers, and over the past year I've fine tuned it. I can eat all the chocolate I want. I can eat candy even (don't want to). When I eat cereal or drink tea, I add regular table sugar. I get PLENTY of starch in my diet and still no problems.

My diet isn't perfect. It's not balanced just like most other peoples diets aren't(who follows the food pyramid anyway?). It's HEALTHY in the sense that it's better for my body and I'm eating more vegetables (less junk), but some people might argue that I'm depriving myself of nutrients. Except processed food is already deprived of nutrients and therefore all they did was just enrich it with additional vitamins. Therefore any food that you happen to find that you MUST eliminate for the sake of clear skin and good health, you can always "enrich" the diet with a multivitamin supplement. Of course, I'm a busy working college student and as soon as I graduate I will be working on the balancing and nutrition aspect of it all. Infact, I'll probably continue my education so that I can become a Nutritonist or Dietician and a Naturopathic Doctor. That's my dream at least =)

As for what I don't eat:

Most grains - I'm on a Gluten Free (GF) diet so I avoid 90% of fast food, canned food, frozen dinners as a result. WHEAT is in EVERYTHING. There's PLENTY of substitute grains/foods, but 90% of the time, I only ever eat corn and rice and occasionally oatmeal.

(results of "fine tuning")

GF Refined Cereal - that means the stuff you can buy at a regular grocery store vs. a healthfood store. Without a doubt it breaks me out in/around my earlobs.

Soda - cysts (never liked the carbonation anyway)

Bananas - Cysts (LOVE banana nut, but I'll survive)

Peanuts - cysts around my temple, forehead, eyebrow area (never liked these much)

Cherries - Cysts (I absolutely LOVE these, oh well)

What I CAN eat:

Organic Milk and other dairy

100% Fruit Juice

Decafinated Tea, Coffee

Water - drink this 90% of the time now (something a low carb diet does to you, you don't want certain things anymore)

Beef, poultry, pork, seafood

All Vegetables

Most Fruits & dried fruits, fruit cups, applesauce

Most nuts

Seeds

Eggs

Legumes/beans

Rice Cakes

Yogurt

Ice cream

Potato Chips

Popcorn (eat several times a week with butter, lol)

Condiments - catchup, mustard, steak sauce, certain vinegars, salad dressings, salsas, REAL soy sauce (made from pure soy instead of wheat), etc.

GF frozen/canned food - fruit, vegetables, certain soups (cambells rice formulas some have wheat and others don't), Hormel (chili, beef stew), Beanie Weenies (these are soo sweet, but edible), taquitos, certain "Meal in a Bag", seasoned vegatables, etc. - it's possible but a lot of label reading is involved, and sometimes the change the formulas, so I don't always eat this stuff

GF Resturant/Fast Food - Salads, Soups, Chicken wings, tacos, fries, steaks, fish, Mexican food, Chinese food (mild concern), etc

Gluten Free Grains - Corn, Rice, Oatmeal, Buckwheat, Quinoa, Amaranth, etc

Gluten Free substitues - Brownies, waffles, pasta, breads, cakes, cookies, muffins, soups, practically anything you loved about regular bread products.

So far thats all that I've discovered. I don't eat most of the sweet foods in there like Ice cream or candy because frankly candy hurts my teeth and because I don't crave it. I'm not obsessed over this, its soo easy to follow. Since I don't crave certain things and I really don't miss the old stuff (I had over 20 years of it), I look at this as an opportunity to try diferent recipes and other foods. There is sooo much food out there at if you can afford to eat healthy it tasts sooo much better than frozen food ;-) I still have 1% to eliminate and that's something that will probably go away with a "healthy" balanced Grain free diet, except I'm not ready to go there yet. I can say that, because I've done a lot and I have the utmost confidence KNOWING that I control my break outs. I just do what I gotta do, it works, I know why it works and that is an AMAZING feeling!

Wish you all the best of luck =)

I'm not sure whether chocolate could cause a zit over a 5 hour period, but I know that it can affect one's body over a 5 hour period especially on an empty stomach. I have a lot of family that's diabetic and the chocolate changes your insulin levels and this can happen within 5 hours. I think raised insulin levels from the sugar could affect the skin in 5 hours, and definitely affects the skin if raised consistantly over a longer duration of time.

Food has shit to do with acne. PERIOD!

I used to follow this school of thought but not anymore. I've been following a sugar free (refined sugar, that is) diet for a month now and am getting a lot less breakouts. Any zits I do get seem to coincide with me sneaking in something that has sugar in it.

fromchicago: if you believe that your skin reacts to chocolate then this site might be of interest to you: http://www.thiele.fptoday.com/ta/acnehome.htm

Can anyone confirm this:

BACKGROUND: In westernized societies, acne vulgaris is a nearly universal skin disease afflicting 79% to 95% of the adolescent population. In men and women older than 25 years, 40% to 54% have some degree of facial acne, and clinical facial acne persists into middle age in 12% of women and 3% of men. Epidemiological evidence suggests that acne incidence rates are considerably lower in nonwesternized societies. Herein we report the prevalence of acne in 2 nonwesternized populations: the Kitavan Islanders of Papua New Guinea and the Ache hunter-gatherers of Paraguay. Additionally, we analyze how elements in nonwesternized environments may influence the development of acne. OBSERVATIONS: Of 1200 Kitavan subjects examined (including 300 aged 15-25 years), no case of acne (grade 1 with multiple comedones or grades 2-4) was observed. Of 115 Ache subjects examined (including 15 aged 15-25 years) over 843 days, no case of active acne (grades 1-4) was observed. CONCLUSIONS: The astonishing difference in acne incidence rates between nonwesternized and fully modernized societies cannot be solely attributed to genetic differences among populations but likely results from differing environmental factors. Identification of these factors may be useful in the treatment of acne in Western populations.

Sounds like BS to me :-s

Who knows? I read that report too but I always take scientific studies with a pinch of salt. For every one that is done there will always be another that has conflicting results.

Anyway, I've been reading the posts on the Absolute Acne forum and there is one thread there that might provide a clue as to why some people are convinced acne is attributed to diet and others are adamant it isn't:

http://pub106.ezboard.com/fabsoluteacneinf...icID=7653.topic

I was aware of candida when I started on minocycline but it was only in the back of my mind as it's a controversial issue. Still it's makes for an interesting read but I can see the hackles rising on some of our fellow posters here when they see the amount of diet changing that is mentioned in that topic.

Of course, having posted that link, I'm preparing myself for being accused again of endorsing some product or other from a woo-woo organisation.