Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maddy77

starting to exercise again...

Hi this is my first post (usually I just browse the existing ones without contributing) But I have been unable to find enough information on the connection between exercise and acne (possibly because there isnt much substantial information) But I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with it. I guess I will just tell my back ground a little bit, from the age of 16-19, (4 years) I did alot of intense exercise, lots of intense cardio everyday, and I had perfect skin. Unfortunatley at the age of 19 all that changed my skin got pretty bad and I stopped exercising just because I was too embarressed to be seen at the gym without makeup (I know its pathetic) but now I am 20, my skin is pretty much improving (mostly alot of red marks all over my cheeks-almosta s bad looking as actually acne) and at certain times of the month I get acne (3-5 really big ones around my mouth/jaw) (I am a girl by the way) So I am assuming my acne is hormonal. ANyways I want to start doing alot of cardio again, I have read some existing posts and mostly they just talk about how the sweating affects acne but dosent working out increase testosterone or some other hormone and wouldnt that be a trigger for acne? (especially since I think my acne is hormonal?) I pretty much notice that sweating heavily improves the appearence of my skin temporaily but i was more interested in the long term affects caused by internal changes in hormones and not physical (sweat) I know it is hard to ask for concrete results as no one here does controlled experiments on themselves only taking into account one factor, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has some long term information (as in not just one day after exercise) I really really need to work out again, but I am so worried about my skin getting worse just after it has cleared somewhat. If anyone has experiences or any related information regarding exercise or hormones could you please post!! Thanks!!

When i exercise my skin gets a lot better, this is certain. i know people say xyz after just a few days but i have continually tested this over years, when i used to cycle my skin was perfect, then i thought i had grown out of acne and started eating bad and not bothering with exercise, my skin got bad again but not terrible. i started bodybuilding and my skin went hella bad so i took up running (cycling is bad) and it got somewhat better. everytime im not exercising (talking over a period of months) my skin gets worse and everytime im exercising it gets better, ive tested this on purpose (just an excuse to be lazy :D) and not on purpose (injuries) many times.

im sure danny will write you a 3000 word essay on the effects of exercise so i wont go in to it, i would like to mention though, that while insulin and IGF-1 will no doubt be mentioned, exercise is so much more than that, it does countless good things for you, the majority of which will either directly or indirectly benefit your skin. It doesn't raise your testosterone (cardio), it will most certainly help balance your hormones. i dont think sweat has anything to do with acne. Nutrion is only half a holistic health regieme, exercise is the other half. (okay im sure there is other stuff dont get picky!)

I have always thought exercise made acne worse too! But after reading over 20 skincare books.. i am convinced otherwise :D

It helps with stress & releases endorphins that make you feel happy :razz:

Exercise is also good because it raises your body temperature which makes it easier to fight off infections and bacteria.

Guest Stu :-)

When i exercise my skin gets a lot better, this is certain. i know people say xyz after just a few days but i have continually tested this over years, when i used to cycle my skin was perfect, then i thought i had grown out of acne and started eating bad and not bothering with exercise, my skin got bad again but not terrible. i started bodybuilding and my skin went hella bad so i took up running (cycling is bad) and it got somewhat better. everytime im not exercising (talking over a period of months) my skin gets worse and everytime im exercising it gets better, ive tested this on purpose (just an excuse to be lazy :D) and not on purpose (injuries) many times.

im sure danny will write you a 3000 word essay on the effects of exercise so i wont go in to it, i would like to mention though, that while insulin and IGF-1 will no doubt be mentioned, exercise is so much more than that, it does countless good things for you, the majority of which will either directly or indirectly benefit your skin. It doesn't raise your testosterone (cardio), it will most certainly help balance your hormones. i dont think sweat has anything to do with acne. Nutrion is only half a holistic health regieme, exercise is the other half. (okay im sure there is other stuff dont get picky!)

Just out of curiousity how does it balance the hormones? Or does it help with hormones like IGF1 thus balancing the rest out?

In my personal experiance exercise is pretty neutral for me, it doesn't make my face turn into a masterpiece, and it doesn't make my face worse.

Logically thinking it probably is benefitical....you're obviously sweating out of your pores, which requires a decently clear passage way, which should inturn clean out pores and get rid of some of the oils that might be built up.

In terms of the raging hormones i wouldn't worry too much...the only time hormones really only get high enough to cause acne is during or around a womans period. Otherwise they're pretty normal....exercise shouldn't do much of anything to bother them...now if you take steroids with that exercise then be prepared to feel the pain when you look in the mirror.

For me exercise makes existing breakouts heal faster but does nothing to prevent future ones.

LOL, :D I dont think I will be taking steriods anytime soon! This was my second day of doing intense cardio and I feel so good exercising again that I dont think I would stop unless it had a really really bad affect. I will see after a month though if I see some noticable difference and I will post my results, even though it wont be a conclusive fact after a month, more information and experiences cant hurt. The next biggest test is stress though...I start my university classes tomorrow....stress has always been the biggest trigger for me..

thanks for your opinions!

Just out of curiousity how does it balance the hormones? Or does it help with hormones like IGF1 thus balancing the rest out?

Yeah insulin is a master hormone so the better control you have over it the more normally regulated other dependant hormones will become, GH, IGF-1, testosterone, DHT etc, i read the other day that exercise doesn't directly affect adrenal hormones like cortisol, yet many people say they feel much more relaxed after a good ammount of exercise, i know i do, so im still inclined to believe that exercise can help regulate these hormones if not directly, indirectly through neurological processes, e.g. feel better > less stress > less cortisol. I have read about other examples in the past, but none spring to mind. :think:

Logically thinking it probably is benefitical....you're obviously sweating out of your pores, which requires a decently clear passage way, which should inturn clean out pores and get rid of some of the oils that might be built up.

Ive read this a few times on here, i think its a popular misconception, sebum and sweat come out of different holes on your face.

Dr. Nick - I thought it wasn't that exercise could 'decrease' things like cortisol, just that once it was released after a stressful event, exercise helped break it down and get it out of the body? I mean, think about it. We have the same bodies as our ancestors. Ancestors' idea of stress was not an impossible deadline at the office but more like a confrontation with a new animal somewhere deep in the jungle, therefore 'fight or flight' status ensued...

Dr. Nick - I thought it wasn't that exercise could 'decrease' things like cortisol, just that once it was released after a stressful event, exercise helped break it down and get it out of the body? I mean, think about it. We have the same bodies as our ancestors. Ancestors' idea of stress was not an impossible deadline at the office but more like a confrontation with a new animal somewhere deep in the jungle, therefore 'fight or flight' status ensued...

Exercise doesn't break down cortisol, (it actually increases during exercise), over the long-term exercise has been shown to have no effect upon cortisol directly, but what i'm saying is that if someone had chronic elevated levels of cortisol, exercise could (IMO) be able to help if not directly, indirectly, by increasing feelings of well being > reducing stress > reducing cortisol. In exactly the same way meditating, yoga or whatever does. different people have different ways of relaxing/de-stressing. obviosly if a person has perfectly normal levels of cortisol then this effect wouldn't happen, ergo exercise can by this logic "balance" cortisol, by reducing it in those who have elevated levels and having no effect upon those who have normal levels.