Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emmabrown

i never use a moisteriser-is that bad?

i never ever do on my face, because im convinced it would make my skin worse.

well if im been truthful, i occasionally do, but thats rare, maybe once or twice a month if im lucky. and its only ever if my skin's really dry, and the only reason ill put some on is if im applying makeup and so therefore need to use it so my makeup looks decent and doesnt emphasize my skins dryness.

i think its cause when i had one of my apppointments with my derm, i asked how many times i should use moisteriser while i was on 'tane, and he said rarely if ever because the point is that you want to dry youre skin out, dry youre pimples out, and the same goes for washing youre face, dont overwash.

so after that i decided, using cream, is bad cause if you keep youre face dry it dries out youre pimples and they dont last as long, im also convinced, it would block my pores, as i cant see how you can put a coat of anything on youre skin, and for it to be the same as not wearing anything. so i never use it, and also because on the occasions i do, im sure it breaks me out

is that alright?

Guest Sincerely_Me

Moisturizer won't break you out if you get an oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer...don't think otherwise. You NEED to moisturize your skin. You NEED to keep your skin "normal", moisturization is a part of that normality. USE MOISTURIZER. I've been doing the regimen for a while now, as have many other people and that isn't usually the issue. Trust me.

Moisturizer won't break you out if you get an oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer...don't think otherwise. You NEED to moisturize your skin. You NEED to keep your skin "normal", moisturization is a part of that normality. USE MOISTURIZER. I've been doing the regimen for a while now, as have many other people and that isn't usually the issue. Trust me.

I don't agree. Some "non-comedogenic" things may not block pores, but they can lead to greasy skin, which in my case can cause zits.

I don't agree. Some "non-comedogenic" things may not block pores, but they can lead to greasy skin, which in my case can cause zits.

i agree, too much of anything is bad

When your skin is dry it creates excess oil to compensate...

now lets think

dry -> excess oil created -> new pimples!

on the other hand

well moisterized -> less oil!

When your skin is dry it creates excess oil to compensate...

now lets think

dry -> excess oil created -> new pimples!

on the other hand

well moisterized -> less oil!

Not true, that's one of the most common acne myths, right along with the temperature of the water makes a difference (of course way too hot/too cold is an exception, but I'm talking about the "opening and closing of pores", because technically pores don't even open or close. If your face isn't dry, and you don't want/like moisturizing, then don't. No harm done.

Moisturizing makes my skin break out. Period. I have tried every mostiruzer out there, nothing works for me. Also, it makes my skin greasy. It may say non-allergenic, non-pore clogging, oil-free.. blah blah blah blah... They are all greasy.. If your skin does not feel or look dry, you don't need to moisturize.

LOL

The point of using moisturizer is to combat dry skin.

If your skin isn't dry, no reason to use moisturizer!

And from my experience moisturizer is needed only when your skin is so dry it's flaking and looking... well... not normal. Some light dryness and tightness goes away in an hour or so...

ALSO, i've read several doctors state that dry skin doesn't create excess oil... sounded strange to me, but that's what i read...

the body will get used to anything and adapt, so if you keep putting on moisturiser then your skin will decide it doesnt need to keep itself moist if its getting it done already so it doesnt bother. this means if you ever forget your moisturiser, your skin will just dry up totally.

i used to have dry skin and use moisturiser and this is what happened. so what i did was go without, and over time it started to balance itself again and is much healthier now without anything at all. the only time i use moisturiser now is after shaving and i just dont need it the rest of the time. i think its like lip balm.. the more you use it the more you tend to need it.

I agree with rodd on that. I believe that.

I am addicted to blistex lip chap. And once I stopped using it, I got SEVERE chapped lips!

Did it ever occur to anyone that the very ingredients in moisturizer could be the very source for breakouts and/or irritation? Look at what's in moisturizer before you decide to apply it. I would say that a very large percentage of acne-prone people also have very sensitive skin, think first before using anything.

I agree with those that say using a moisturizer is not necessary if your skin's not dry. Moisturizing skin that is not dry can increase the potential for clogged pores by mixing with excess sebum and "glueing" dead skin cells to the skin's surface and interfere with how the skin works.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=379

I also agree with unclejohn323 that "oil-free" and "non-comedogenic" products can still cause breakouts. That is because those and other flashy phrases are marketing terms that are not regulated. As a result they can be put on anything. Not all oils clog pores, and ingredients that can clog pores, like waxy thickeners, aren't always exluded from "non-comedogenic" and "oil-free" formulations.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=153

You seem to indicate that your skin does get dry, so look for gel- or serum-based moisturizers, which tend to be less-likely to clog pores than lotions and especially creams, and spot treat the dry areas.

I recommend Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel and Neutrogena's Visibly Firm Lift Serum Active Copper in particular.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.a...&PAGETYPE=S

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

Also, to add some of the benefits of a moisturizer without actually applying one, toners can be a great option (but are not required). Watch out for those that contain common skin irritants like drying alcohols, witch hazel, and menthol, though. Two of my favorites are Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner and Biotherm Biosensitive Soothing Refreshing Spring Mist.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

http://www.biotherm-usa.com/_us/_en/faceca...ONER_Toner&

Another thing you can do is exfoliate. Actually, I think that everyone whose skin can tolerate exfoliation should to promote healthy skin.

Since you seem to be afraid of lotions and creams, go for salicylic acid or alpha hydroxy acid products in liquid form. The only ph-correct and gentle liquid salicylic acid exfoliant that I know of is Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid. All of the other salicylic acid "toners" or "astringents" available have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the salicylic acid to act as an exfoliant and/or contain skin irritants like drying alcohols, witch hazel, eucalyptus, and menthol. A good gentle and pH-correct alpha hydroxy acid liquid exfoliant is Proactive's Revitalizing Toner, which contains glycolic acid. If you're dealing with clogged pores currently, go for the Paula's Choice because salicylic acid, unlike alpha hydroxy acids, is lipid soluble and can exfoliate within the pore.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.a...&PAGETYPE=S

http://cgi.ebay.com/Proactiv-Proactive-4oz...1QQcmdZViewItem

You can also manually exfoliate with a washcloth or "microdermabrasion" product, but I prefer chemical exfoliants because they provide even exfoliation and for me are gentler.

And although moisturizers aren't necessary, it is extremely important to the health of your skin to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day, overcast or not (UVA/UVB rays penetrate cloud cover), indoors or out (UVA rays penetrate glass), and even more so when using many acne treatments since they can cause increased sun-sensitivity. A broad-spectrum sunscreen will contain one or more of these ingredients: titanium dioxide, tinosorb (outside US), zinc oxide, avobenzone, and mexoryl sx. I usually recommend using synthetic sunscreens with avobenzone unless your skin is sensitive to that ingredient since physical sunscreens are more likely to clog pores (many users of this site like Neutrogena's Dry-Touch Sunscreens). If a sunscreen doesn't have at least one of those ingredients, it doesn't offer adequate UVA protection (sunscreens are only required to provide UVB protection).

Among causing premature aging, skin cancer, and other health problems, sun damage also can contribute to acne because it causes the skin to thicken, making it harder for dead skin cells to slough off and therefore increasing the risk for clogged pores. Sun damage is cumulative and happens before you start to tan, so even a few minutes of daily unprotected exposure can cause problems in the longrun.

my skin HATES any creamy anything. I used that spray mositurizer

NA-PCA w/aloe Vera by Twinlabs. Its just F'n GREAT. Will NOT

break U out or make U feel greasy. I just hate that oily feeling.

Check it out guys.

I use to use straight aloe vera and apply it on my face as a moisteriser..That wasn't as moistering as I thought it would be, lol. It didn't break me out though.