Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meritabread

diet and acne

the age old question: does diet affect acne?

i personally don't know but i found this article that claims eating food that increases blood suger causes acne (and weight gain). It suggests eating foods with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants. this makes sense to me because acne is an inflammatory disease like arthritis. it lists some foods that will clear skin.

take a look for yourself:

http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?art...le_id=8494&pg=1

the age old question: does diet affect acne?

i personally don't know but i found this article that claims eating food that increases blood suger causes acne (and weight gain).  It suggests eating foods with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants.  this makes sense to me because acne is an inflammatory disease like arthritis.  it lists some foods that will clear skin.

take a look for yourself: 

http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?art...le_id=8494&pg=1

It's all speculation. In other words, bullshit! They are only saying this in theory and don't have any scientific evidence. They are saying, ooh sugar levels raise which leads to breakouts. Yeah, or not. Many studies have shown on correlation between this. Non showed any link. It's dogshit.

this is his logic:

He says candy, French fries, pizza and other unhealthy foods that raise your blood sugar lead to bad breakouts. A rapid rise in blood sugar causes an insulin response in the body. This in turn causes an inflammatory response -- a burst of inflammation on a cellular level, causing pores to clog. And thus a zit is born. 

it could be total bull but i am open to anything that will get rid of acne. what they suggest is, basically, just to eat healthy. it can't see how that could make my acne worst. and i might even lose some weight. no downside in my opinion smile.gif

Hey, it's not B.S., there's PLENTY of scientific proof backing up "sugar"/Carbohydrates and Inflammatory foods as being a HUGE contributor to causing our acne, among many other health problems. I could go on and on, but I've posted so much research and even S P E L L E D out the connections for those that were truly interested in the 'Why's and 'How's of of it all.

Some of you have been outright rude to me, but you don't see me disrepecting any of your "cures" BP does yucky things to me, so I don't particulary like it, but I KNOW and accept that its many people's savior. Hey, I am truly sorry if you tried EVERY SINGLE possible combination when it came to changing your diet and NOTHING helped you. That must suck, it only took me.... 4 or 5 combinations before I hit the jackpot. Bear in mind, if I had the knowledge at age 12 that I did last year at 22, I would have hit the jackpot instantly!

I've said it over and over again, see a doctor. Heck see an endocrinologist so that you will get the proper diagnosis for you. Once you do, all you have to do is RESEARCH and see what's out there for you and the rest should be a piece a cake. Education and knowledge are very POWERFUL and I was clueless about the "right" way to do things until I I got a diagnosis and started to listening to others testimonials on specific diets. Once I did my own research, everything just kept clicking and fitting together. I realized that this didn't just apply to me, but to others with various hormonal and/or health disorders. Unfortunately, no matter what you do to try and help others, some people just chose to live in denial...

I wish you the BEST of luck in finding your answers though

Unfortunately, some people just chose to live in denial...

Unfortunately, some people are just too gullable. You eat up what you read on the net too easily. It's easy to make it sound all scientific but in plain english is just bullshit. I can easily say, oooh sugars/carbs = more insulin = more hormones = more oil = more bacteria = more acne. The bottom line is, is that the main source of acne is the acne bacteria, and you dont DEVELOPE this bacteria from eating food. Even Dan, who has done research in many encyclopedias and books, says that there is no correlation between food and acne. It's just a waste of your time. BUT, in some cases, a defiecency of vitamins and minerals can give the body a hard time in healing the red spots and zits. But eating junk food will NOT promote more acne. That's all there is to it.

You know what I think that Dan is doing AMAZING things, but unfortunately there's so many areas that many of you have decided to completely ignore. I can't be 100% certain, but I think you've gone against me several times despite me HANDING you my research, telling you about other former acne sufferers testimonies, and GIVING you the Scientific Studies that BACKS EVERYTHING UP!

So please, just answer me, why haven't you read it? I'm majoring in Biomedical Sciences and I've done my best to try to break it down as simply as possible. I PROMISE you there is NO B.S. involved. Yes, it's a bit long, but the 10 minutes out of your life that it would take to read it, would correct a few misconceptions of your own. http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php...t=accutane+diet

I'm a bit confused, isn't this your post? http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=10673 So what happened in the past few weeks to make you speak the way you are now????

Personally I thought your list of foods to avoid was too broad, and you could have narrowed it down a bit to make it easier for you, if that was the problem. I speak of these things not because I am gullible, FAAAR from it, but because I KNOW.

I have the Knowledge, the Research, The PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not to mention many others testimonies, that all say that this is REAL. No placebo effect, no schemes, just good honest SCIENCE! There's no way in the world I would ever come on this or any other board, and personally help others, if it didn't work for me. If it didn't still shock the heck out of me, even though I have most of the scientific explanations....gosh I'm still in awe ;-)

You have NO idea how sad it makes me, when I think about the time in my life that was wasted trying to find answers and visiting the wrong doctors. We really are what we eat, and it doesn't always have to do with "junk", but sometimes it could be due to one of our basic Staples that we are unknowingly Intolerant too (why it can vary). Of course, Dan hasn't found anything in the encyclopedias and studies, especially if they were dated in the 1980s and 90s. The research wasn't accurate then or was NEVER done!

Do you know what they did, when they came up with the food pyramid? They decided that since people were getting fat, it must be the FAT in our diets and therefore we should load up on more (grain) carbohydrates! Yet, did you ever wonder why people claimed the got FAT off of CANDY, SUGAR, and ICE CREAM, I did but I was too naive then, but in this respect, I'm not anymore. Yes, while the USDA has never condoned junk food, they had hardly any tests to back their fat theory up. Oh and they certainly weren't differentiating between the fats (good and bad) and GUESS WHAT??? They ended up making things WORSE for us! So I wouldn't believe everything that the Government feeds you either.

Since the implemention of the food pyramid in the 1980s, Diabetes and Obesity rates have INCREASED! The kind of Diabetes that's increased is what is known as Type II Diabetes (90% of diabetics) and what leads to this is INSULIN RESISTANCE. That's right, and CERTAIN carbohydrates can be more problematic for us than others, and that's one flaw in the Low Carb Diet system. Nevertheless, IR has MORE than one symptom, Heart disease, Obesity, PCOS, Acne, etc. If you are wondering where I'm headed, Insullin Resistance is something that occurs in order for us to go through PUBERTY. That's right, Insulin Resistance is what EVERY "normal" teenager goes through during puberty! So some gain weight, become diabetic, or get acne...would you rather have a choice???

Despite what you want to believe, sometimes the answers really are that "simple"