Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R.S.

Food Co-Ops / Farmers Markerts: Support em if you got em.

Anyone go to Food Co-Ops ever? Basically what they are are little grocery stores that the main customers own and operate... the few that I've been to, locally and not, are all amazing. Like a Whole Foods / Wild Oats packed into a tiny little store with everything you need and nothing you don't. Plus they usually have some really neat / rare / hard to find stuff that even the health food stores don't carry. All in all these are my favorite places to shop when I get the chance because they're always local, almost always organic and reasonably priced, and they have the sweetest stuff... Just a heads up.

Anyways, on that note, farmer's markets are equally as cool. Fresher foods then even Whole Foods, very reasonable prices, and better tasting then almost anywhere, usually organic, and as local/grass roots as it gets. The only "downside" is you'll only find things in season, so no apples in February... but the upside is that what is in season and local also happens to be at it's peak in nutritional value and best tasting. Also, the meats that some farmers markets have are a step above everything... I picked up a pound of chicken livers for $3.25, so much for liver being not a popular cut at all because I reaped the benefits out of getting a deal on it :) Hell, you might even be able to find raw milk at a farmer's market if you look hard enough.

So here's a website that can help you find out if you have them in your area / when they are, http://www.localharvest.org/. Check it out.

Damn, you guys suck! Food co-ops are better then Whole Foods if you have good ones in your area. I thought my thread disappeared or something....

Meh most co-ops to me seem phony. Like the city people are trying too hard to get back to their "roots" or somthing. At least that is what I've encountered. Of course we have a massive co-op here in out city that is amazing but it's not the same principles I gather as the small store(More like safeway with better produce but owned by the customers). Ehh... I suppose it's the people that frequent these things more than the idea itself. Kind of like those born again christians that are really pious.

As for farmers markets I have nothing but love. Where else can I get huge amounts of honey for under $10.00? Where can I get massive amounts of red, orange and yellow peppers for nothing? Where can I get 2 foot wide pieces of peasant bread? I love it. It's like an unpretentious orgy of great quality foods of all kinds. In our city we convert a whole military barracks into the market. It's huge.

I don't go to ours often..They tend not to carry the brands of stuff I like (no rosewater, only the brand of stevia bulked with fiber that clumps in my coffee, the gf bread brands I don't like), and I don't buy enough organic food to warrant the extra inconvenient drive into the strip. My usual supermarket has all of the gf foods I like in their whole foods section; and either the small whole foods store in the village (walking distance) or the Feel-rite chain have rosewater and glycerin. Actually, I usually only go to the supermarket for stuff in the organic section nowadays -- they opened up a Save-a-lot chain on my way home right after I get off the thruway..I buy my meat and frozen/canned veggies there (cheaper and more convenient).

I go to sunday markets and get organic food from local farmers. Its actually cheaper than from the supermarket. And I get organic eggs from down the road :)

I'm lazy, i want all my foods in one place. i don't want to wait until every Tuesday. I go get food at either Trader Joes, Mothers, or Whole Foods, whenever i run out even if it's 11pm. They have good quality there, and you can't go wrong. Nothing against farmers markets they'd be great if they were open 5 or 6 days a week.