Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
loofery

I'm planning on going to Whole Foods for the first time

Hey doods, like the title says .. basically gonna go into Whole Foods with a blank check. Wanna stock up on good tasting healthy stuff.

Please recommend me stuff that's:

protein-filled

antioxident rich (veggies, anyone?)

immune system boosting

toxin cleaning

natural topicals (have emu oil already but anything else?)

good for clearing red marks

tasty substitutes for dairy

non-comedogenic and will control oil

vitamins / minerals / any pills - please explain what they do, and why they are good for my skin-think anti-inflammatories, sebum controllers, hormone regulators, what else?

natural shampoo or soaps?

herbal teas?

good breakfast foods so I can nix the milk and whole wheat which I suspect is bad for me

just in general give me good 'skin food' that will fill me up like the processed stuff I'm used to. I'm convinced finally that diet has a role in skin and the right stuff can help get rid of my marks faster, I just don't know what they are .. please help me out!

look for natural products with nettles

It's uncredible what nettles principles can do

There was a study carried out at the San Raffaele Institute with clinical double/blind control and they showed that shampoos or lotions made with nettles oils have a extraordinary effect on hair follicles increasing the density and activating the growing phase ... in face it is known to be effective against alopecia and it's clinically demonstrated

as i said in another post I am very familiar with whole foods as I used to work there.. I don't have time to make all my reccomendations right now but I will offer some advice on dairy alternatives.. For milk I have tried almond milk and rice dreams rice drink.. I would not reccomend eating either plain, but for cereal and other combination meals, the rice drink is far better.

for tea get some rishi tea.. loose leaf.. I guess white tea would be the best. don't The Republic of Tea.. its gross..

for red marks I've heard many good things about aloe vera, but this made me break out.. I've not heard of this happening to many other people though. Some also use neosporin CREAM.. I think this made me breakout as well.. Everything makes me break out though. so don't go by me.. try a little neosporin.

protein-filled

well meat's the obvious answer. hemp seed is a good vegetal source.

cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, all berries, white tea, dark leafy greens...

immune system boosting

all fruits / vegetables.

toxin cleaning

anything that's colored green. spirulina and liquid chlorophyll too. you'll see those in the supplement aisle.

jojoba oil, aloe vera, QH mint julep mask.

rice dream rice milk.

vitamins / minerals / any pills - please explain what they do, and why they are good for my skin-think anti-inflammatories, sebum controllers, hormone regulators, what else?

msm powder. google msm and skin. probiotics are mandatory if you've taken antibiotics. triphala if you have bad digestion.

dr. bronners is my all time favorite, cheapest at trader joes.

herbal teas?

depends what you want, chamomile for stress related acne, peppermint/ginger for digestive related, dandelion root for liver cleansing, etc.

good breakfast foods so I can nix the milk and whole wheat which I suspect is bad for me

eat fruits + fats like avocadoes / coconut flakes for breakfast.

My mom gave me her MSM pills that I just started taking tonight - do you think powder form is that much more effective?

cool beans mang that was helpful. anyone have any other breakfast suggestions, or any pills / topicals? or any special foods they like to snack on?

I think the powder is more effective, I've taken both and didn't see much effect with the pill.. or maybe that was something else. I can't even remember...

Other breakfast foods... well organic free range eggs of course... if gluten is a problem, stores like Whole Foods have gluten free breads... mostly fruits + fat does it for me though.

My all time favorite snack food is these things they sell in bulk called Carob Nuggets of Energy, specifically the spirulina one. Basically it's carob (a chocolate-like bean), nuts + seeds, a little honey, some toasted rice... all in little cube chunks. Very filling for a snack. I like pecans and almonds too and it appears I've lost my allergy to them because they aren't giving me the itches 10 minutes after eating them , but I gotta be careful and not go overboard... Whole Foods will probably have some tamari almonds which are good as hell but may have wheat which could be a problem if wheat breaks you out... I don't really go to Whole Foods much though, it's pretty far from home and Wild Oats is close. But both are too expensive for me to go there regularly so I go to this regional grocery store that's pretty alright for produce / bulk / some meats...

If you're eating enough food, you should meet your protein requirement. Eggs are a wonderful source of protein. Beans, legumes, nuts & seeds are also good sources. Get your antioxidants, immune boosting and detoxing from fruits/veggies. Take a look at my green smoothies post for an extremely easy and tasty way to get in your daily fruits and leafy greens: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917. Green smoothies got rid of my acne in a little over a month. I drink 1 quart (4 cups) a day. I think this would be the most helpful thing you can do in order to help your acne. Try to avoid animal products that contain hormones, antiobiotics, ets. Stay away from processed foods, and don't eat hydrogenated oils. Below are some notes of mine that I just copied and pasted for you - it has some food ideas and then a sample shopping list for Whole Foods. Each section, like bulk, represents a different aisle. Hopefully your Whole Foods is organized similarily to mine. Sorry if it's a bit much, but hopefully it will give you some ideas. :)

Food Ideas:

• Fruits (like apples, pears, bananas) and leafy greens (pre-washed baby spinach, baby greens, spring mix, etc) for green smoothies.. Get some frozen fruit as well (berries, tropical mix, mango, pineapple, etc.)

• Hard-boiled eggs, omelets, scrambled…. Add veggies/cheese.

• Cheese – Organic, unpasteurized cheeses.

• Organic yogurt (sparingly). Add cocoa powder to vanilla yogurt for a chocolate treat. Organic ice cream from Whole Foods.

• Fruits (apples can be combined with other foods, like cheese). For a treat, top fruit, like peaches, with vanilla flavored yogurt.. Frozen fruits are great, and Whole Foods has a great selection..

• Lemons – great for adding to soups and salad dressings.

• Vegetables – Steam, or sauté in broth or oil. Eat with brown rice, soups, or meat. Use butter/seasonings to flavor vegetables.. Frozen vegetables are very convenient and easy to cook.. Mexican or Taco seasoning is awesome.

• Potatoes – top with beans, pico de gallo, and vegenaise.

• Cabbage – shred and top with vegenaise (healthy mayonnaise, raisins, and fresh lemon juice).

• Canned beans/tomatoes – good to have on hand. Eat them together with seasoning for something quick and easy, or add to other foods., like salads, rice, etc.

• Oatmeal (raw with almond butter, honey and cocoa powder for a treat).

• Brown Rice – add soups, meat, vegetables, canned beans/tomatoes, avocados, broth, lemon juice, seasonings.

• Ezekiel Bread, Tortillas and Pasta.. Top bread with almond butter (instead of peanut butter), make veggie sandwiches.. Fill tortillas with meat, salad mix, cheese, veggies, avocado and dressing to make a wrap.

• Whole grain crackers. Top with almond butter, cheese, sardines…

• Whole Wheat or spinach pasta topped with Whole Foods fat-free pasta sauce.

• Meat – Organic, free-range and grass fed if possible. Poultry, beef, bison, fish. Canned meats should be used sparingly, but might be convenient for work.

• Nuts/Seeds – Great for snacks. Also, almond butter and tahini (sesame seeds). Tahini is great in salad dressings and on wraps... Add beans, taco seasoning & tahini to dishes for a southwestern flair.

• Have some healthy, quick food ideas on hand to avoid junk/fast food, like healthy food bars, hard-boiled eggs, fruit, frozen foods, but try to use these sparingly, except for the fruit of course. �

• Water

• Loose leaf Green Tea by itself or add honey or liquid stevia. (Weight loss, anti-oxidant, mental perk).

• Lemon Concentrate with Stevia for lemonade.

• On occasion, spritzers (fruit juice based sodas).

• Food based multi-vitamin (like New Chapter).

• Look into Detoxing - Chlorella, Far-Infrared Sauna, Vegetable juicing, Epsom salt baths

• Positive self-talk, daily activities that calm and de-stress (maybe a restful exercise or stretching routine in the evening, a bath, a favorite TV show, listening to music, use scents, candles (Pacifica and Aroma Naturals at Whole Foods), essential oils…

• Try to eat whole, unprocessed foods. Avoid sugar. Avoid hydrogenated fats. Avoid white flour. Avoid chemical sugar substitutes like Splenda, Aspartame, Nutra-Sweet… Avoid pork, shellfish (Old Testament).

• Exercise! Moderate exercise is best. Do aerobics and strength training.

• Use pure, mostly chemical free body lotions, like Aubrey Organics or Avalon., because your body absorbs what goes on your skin.

• Use chemical free household cleansers, like 7th Generation. Mrs. Meyers products are cute and smell great.

• www.mercola.com (Fabulous general health resource, also a source for grass-fed meats)

• www.hacres.com (Vegan Health Site).

• www.drfuhrman.com (Mostly Vegan)

• www.whfoods.com (Cooking & Food tips)

• www.boundless.org (Awesome Christian Website for 20 somethings).

Shopping List:

Produce:

• Fruits – apples, peaches, avocados….

• Lemons

• Veggies – Potatoes, cabbage, broccoli…

• Onions/Garlic

• Lettuce Mix (pre-cut and washed).

Cheese:

• Un-pasteurized Cheese.

Frozen Fish:

• Salmon, tuna

Bulk Aisle:

• Local, unfiltered honey, nuts, cocoa powder

Oils/Dressings/Seasonings:

• Olive Oil, Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, lemon pepper, Italian/Taco Seasoning.

Canned Goods:

• Muir Glen tomatoes, Whole Foods Fat-Free pasta sauce, beans, sardines, boxed soups/broths

Grains:

• Whole wheat, spinach or spelt pasta, brown rice, Ezekiel pasta

Household Products:

• All Purpose Cleaner, Laundry detergent, Fabric Softener

Drinks:

• Spritzers/water

Crackers/Cereal/Nut butters:

• Oatmeal, whole grain crackers, Ezekiel cereal, almond butter, tahini

• Almond and Rice Milk

Supplement Section:

• Green tea, lemon concentrate, snack bars, liquid stevia, multi-vitamin (New Chapter), candles, essential oils, exercise videos, skin care..

Dairy:

• Yogurt

• Omega 3 eggs

• Organic Butter

Breads/Tortillas:

• Ezekiel Bread

• Ezekiel Tortillas

Frozen:

• Meats, pizzas, burritos, ice cream, etc.

• Back to Frozen Fish Aisle

• Frozen Vegetables

• Frozen Fruit

snack on NANA's Cookies.. i like the NO Wheat Chocolate Chip.. Lara Bars are a real good nutrition bar.. cashew cookie and pecan pie are my favorite.. the non-chocolate bars are mostly raw, they have been heated under 118 degrees

Wow ya'll are amazing .. this will be a fun trip, and I should get to brush up on my cooking skills!

Will probably forego the green tea though, as an ectomorph trying to put on weight. I wouldn't mind some fat.

Hey doods, like the title says .. basically gonna go into Whole Foods with a blank check. Wanna stock up on good tasting healthy stuff.

Please recommend me stuff that's:

protein-filled

while the obvious answer might appear to be meat, meat is actually not that a good source of protein

you must consider the amount of protein by calories because the amount of protein by weight is simply an useless data since we don't eat by weight but by calories

Meat when you consider the amount of calories 100g of it provide is not that protein rich and in fact 2000 calories of meat would not provide that much protein

What has more protein beef or broccoli? The answer is broccoli, because the solid matter is made of just protein it's water that makes the food less dense

Eggs for example are 100 times a better source of protein than meat as they're lower in calories and higher in protein. Legumes too and if you have problem digesting even well soaked and cooked legumes you just have to avoid the big ones and eat lentils, azuki and black beans instead

Certain grains are very rich in quality protein like for example quinoa or millet and they're gluten free as well. Nuts contain good protein but they're richer in fat than protein

Just remember that except fruits (which average 3-9% protein all foods contain a good percentage by calories of protein, even if vegetables are richer than animal food but you can't get all your protein from veggies because you would need a stomach that can hold much more volume

It's wiser though not to eschew protein for less calorically dense sources because getting protein from less calorically dense foods too means that you have a change of consuming more protein within that caloric maximum range you need. So 2000 calories of meat will always provide less protein than 2000 calories of mixed foods including low calories high percentage of protein and high volume foods

berries are among the best antioxidant rich foods, but also baby greens like young lettuce, spinach, kale and collard, but also citrus fruits and carrotts, artichokes, bruxels sprouts

immune system boosting

citrus fruits especially: lemon has been known for millennia by Hippocrates too to enhance immunization

One thing about citrus fruits and juice is that you don't want to keep them long in your mouth or you may use a straw to drink the juice because citric acid erodes teeth enemal

bee products are also known to boost the immune system: royal jelly and bee pollen especially

toxin cleaning

vegetables and green juices, made fresh with a juicer

tree oil, products containing capsaicin from spicy plants like paprika, chili peppers, red pepper and so on

topical green bentonite

almond milk or fermented milk

tofu is okay too as a cheese substitute (whatever soy may be high in toxins and estrogens tofu isn't and no studies have ever showed adverse reaction to moderate tofu consumption)

you may also tolerate white sugar-free whole yogurt

and cottage cheese is pretty innofensive too

vitamins / minerals / any pills - please explain what they do, and why they are good for my skin-think

DHA supplements (they provide the long chaing fatty acids who are a basilar component of skin dehydration and reverse infiammatory processes

herbal teas?

bancha tea

whatever, why you should eat cultural (an unhealthy culture I would add) foods for breakfast just because every sick individual does that?

if you want chili, steak, eggs, avocados ... have them!

But since you asked what's good for a traditional breakfast I would say

Trail Mix - with nuts and oats (which are gluten-free enough to be safe for celiac sufferers unless they're contaminated by wheat during storage but those are just traces and won't mean anything to you unless you're a celiac sufferer)

All fruit jams (you can buy them or make them at home)

Quinoa flakes

Rice pudding

fruit salad

-------------------------------------------------------------------

just in general give me good 'skin food' that will fill me up like the processed stuff I'm used to. I'm convinced finally that diet has a role in skin and the right stuff can help get rid of my marks faster, I just don't know what they are .. please help me out!

Generally: fatty fish in moderation because of their toxins content, green stuff ... young leaves and dark leafy vegggies (look for Indipendent Thinker and my posts on green smoothies and blended salads) low GI fruits, olives, avocados, coconut, highi quality extra virgin olive oil, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, almonds, eggs, WATER, steamed vegetables, legumes + vegetables + diced turkey soups, nut butter ...

Meat is protein filled, however, the American Cancer Society says that if you eat 3 grams of meat more than twice a week, you raise your risk of cancer by 40%. So keep your meat consumption low, and if you want more protein, eat a variety of veggies - broccoli (45% protein), carrots, etc.

If you are thinking about substituting chicken and fish for red meat.. cooked chicken flesh has been found to have 30 times more carcinogens than red meat and fish should only be eaten once every week or so because of Mercury content (Good old corporations used the oceans as their toxic dump site :confused: ). The general rule is "meat should be eaten on a rare occasion" --rather than daily.

An article about it: http://www.cancerproject.org/survival/cancer_facts/meat.php

Meat is protein filled, however, the American Cancer Society says that if you eat 3 grams of meat more than twice a week, you raise your risk of cancer by 40%. So keep your meat consumption low, and if you want more protein, eat a variety of veggies - broccoli (45% protein), carrots, etc.

If you are thinking about substituting chicken and fish for red meat.. cooked chicken flesh has been found to have 30 times more carcinogens than red meat and fish should only be eaten once every week or so because of Mercury content (Good old corporations used the oceans as their toxic dump site :confused: ). The general rule is "meat should be eaten on a rare occasion" --rather than daily.

An article about it: http://www.cancerproject.org/survival/cancer_facts/meat.php

I totally agree with this. Dr. Joel Fuhrman (one of the doctors for Discovery Health Channel) recommends an all vegan (zero animal products) diet and says that if you are going to eat animal products, be sure to eat no more than two servings per week, and he would recommend eggs or poultry.

I'm kind of disappointed Fuhrmen recommends veganism... I was really looking up to him until I heard that, because I feel ALL diets need a small amount of animal protein, whether flesh based or not.

I'm kind of disappointed Fuhrmen recommends veganism... I was really looking up to him until I heard that, because I feel ALL diets need a small amount of animal protein, whether flesh based or not.

Fuhrman doesn't recommend veganism but just see no problem in being vegan for ethical reason

In other words Fuhrman supports vegans that have a personal reason to be vegan but doesn't say that veganism is necessary or that eating eggs, meat or fish is unhealthy per se

The truth is that supplemented adequate vegan diets have never been shown to be unhealthy or cause deficiencies or to decrease growth in children. Macrobiotic diets are different because they're too much grain-based and don't provide enough nutrition from nutrient richer foods

Fuhrman doesn't recommend veganism but just see no problem in being vegan for ethical reason

In other words Fuhrman supports vegans that have a personal reason to be vegan but doesn't say that veganism is necessary or that eating eggs, meat or fish is unhealthy per se

The truth is that supplemented adequate vegan diets have never been shown to be unhealthy or cause deficiencies or to decrease growth in children. Macrobiotic diets are different because they're too much grain-based and don't provide enough nutrition from nutrient richer foods

Are we talking about the same Dr. Joel Fuhrman? www.drfuhrman.com Dr. Joel Fuhrman does believe in a vegan diet, and that is what he recommends to people, but he also recommends a B12 supplement and for some people, a couple servings a week of either poultry or eggs. There was a time when I believe more animal products were necesarry, but I can't see needing more than just a couple servings a week. I'm even more convinced after hearing about The China Study, which shows that more than a couple servings a week of animal products do promote and can cause cancer. Here are some articles of Dr. Fuhrman's on animal products: http://www.diseaseproof.com/admin/search?I...;search=animal+

I like the food I got from there! Nice fruits and veggies.

MSM powder = the shit, it really does work.

thanks guys!

Are we talking about the same Dr. Joel Fuhrman? www.drfuhrman.com Dr. Joel Fuhrman does believe in a vegan diet, and that is what he recommends to people, but he also recommends a B12 supplement and for some people, a couple servings a week of either poultry or eggs. There was a time when I believe more animal products were necesarry, but I can't see needing more than just a couple servings a week. I'm even more convinced after hearing about The China Study, which shows that more than a couple servings a week of animal products do promote and can cause cancer. Here are some articles of Dr. Fuhrman's on animal products: http://www.diseaseproof.com/admin/search?I...;search=animal+

I think it's just a matter of semantic on what recommending means

I should have said "Furhman doesn't specifically recommend" as in "telling you must be vegan to be health" as "doesn't recommend" maybe sound like "telling you vegan is not healthy and you should follow it whether reason you have to"

Dr. Furhman diet being plant-dominated is followed by many people from vegsource where there's a board devoted to him but that he doesn't even know the existence of

Dr. Fuhrman is therefore very supportive of these people and their ethical motivations but he doesn't believe that a vegan diet is necessary to good health and his daughter for example is not vegan

These articles of his should clarify the controversy:

There are plausibel reasons why a person might think that people should include animal products in

their diet. Primates and primitive humans did not consume a strict vegan diet. Even when they did not kill

or eat animals, small insects were always present in wild food. Modern washed and sanitized food even makes a natural, whole-food vegan diet incomplete.

There are three weakness of a vegan diet:

1) Plant foods contain no vitamin 12 (because of sanitization)

2) Some vegans have a need for more taurine and may not get optimal amount with a vegan diet

3) Some vegan may not produce ideal levels of DHA fat from the convertion of short-chain omega 3 fats

I advocate that people who do no eat fish should supplement with DHA

A poorly designed vegan diet or one that is not properly supplemented with B12, DHA and vitamin D

can be dangerous. However these consideration can't be used as an argument to justify dietary

recommendations that include lots of animal products.

I advocate a diet rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals

In order to do this you must underst the nutrient density of all foods and the largest percentage

of your diet must be from foods higher on the nutrient density scale

Remember though that animal products are high in calories and low in nutrient-per-calorie compared

to plant foods.

This nutrient-per-calorie density principle is what my book Eat to Live is all about

The chief feature that makes a vegetarian diet beneficial compared to more conventional ways of eating is that a person following a vegetarian diet is likelier to be consuming more high nutrient produce that contains protective and antioxidant nutrients. The chief feature that makes a vegetarian diet beneficial compared to more conventional ways of eating is that a person following a vegetarian diet is likelier to be consuming more high nutrient produce that contains protective fibers and antioxidant nutrients.

The National Cancer Institute recently reported on 337 different studies, with all showing the same basic information:

1. Vegetables and fruit protect against all types of cancers if consumed in large enough quantities. Thousands of scientific studies document this. The most prevalent cancers in our country are primarily a plant-food deficiency disease.

2. Raw vegetables have the most powerful anti-cancer properties of all foods.

3. Beans have additional anti-cancer benefits against reproductive cancers, like breast and prostate cancer.

People often ask me whether it is absolutely necessary to follow a vegetarian diet. Let me stress this: Following a strict vegetarian diet is not as important as eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

A vegetarian whose diet is mainly refined grains, cold breakfast cereals, processed health food store products, vegetarian fast foods, white rice, and pasta will be worse off than a person who eats turkey, chicken, fish, or eggs but consumes large volumes of fruits, vegetables, and beans

But when we take a close look at the data, it appears that those who weren’t as strict with their diets as the vegetarians had longevity statistics that were equally impressive -- as long as they consumed high volumes of a variety of unrefined plant foods.

So the question is: can the total protection offered by increasing the nutritious foods - the high phytochemical/antioxidant -- to make ones diet produce-predominant be achieved, even if the diet is not totally vegetarian and includes animal products?

I think the answer is yes.

In other words, you can achieve the benefits of a vegetarian diet, without being a vegetarian or a vegan, and the science available seems to support this.

One can choose to be on a healthy vegetarian diet, with careful planning; and one can choose to be on a healthy omnivorous diet, with careful planning too. Both ways of eating still require knowledge about the most nutritious food to eat to assure excellent health and disease protection.

A strict vegetarian or vegan diet is deficient in meeting the nutrient needs of most individuals for vitamin B12

Vitamin D, often called the sunshine vitamin, is another common deficiency in those not drinking vitamin D fortified milk. Synthetic vitamin D is added to both cow’s milk and most brands of soy milk today.

It is a myth that a vegetarian diet, rich in green vegetables, beans, and whole grains would be likely to be low in calcium or protein. Plant food contains adequate levels of these nutrients. However, if a vegetarian diet is not carefully designed to include foods such as nuts, seeds, green vegetables, beans, and whole grains, then levels of calcium, iron, zinc, and protein could be low.

For example, iron deficiency anemia has been reported in some macrobiotic vegetarians who followed a very restrictive diet and consumed a diet with rice as their staple food. This would not have occurred if these individuals ate more green vegetables and beans which contain adequate iron.

Both vegetarian and omnivorous and diets can be made healthful or harmful; nutritious food choices, wise supplementation and nutritional sophistication will make the difference in the type of diet you choose

I'll list the stuff I buy at the whole foods section:

protein-filled

immune system boosting

toxin cleaning

rosewater

glycerin

non-comedogenic and will control oil

herbal teas?

if you like grains and have no problem with oats, the wholoe foods store would be where you'd want to buy oatmeal (look for "gluten free" on the box..those should have been more careful about preventing wheat contaimination). They also have some corn-based gf cereals.

other:

stevia (to sweeten my coffee)

gf bread (glutino "fiber bread" is really good)

(I mostly buy non-organic food.)

My family shops there. My mother changed my diet. I went to 2

nutritionists, the first one my mother didn't like.