Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just a fyi...not sure about this but still http://www.makeupalley.com/board/m.asp?id=...eywords=aspirin

PLEASE READ THIS ABOUT ASPIRIN MASKS ( )

YES, IT'S A LONG POST, BUT IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

I am a little more than just alarmed at the apparent popularity of "aspirin masks" - masks made from grinding the tablets up to make a paste. I'm not surprised to hear that many of you feel that you have had successful results by doing this; your acne clears up for a while and any soreness from the blemishes goes away. Unfortunately, acetylsalicylic acid is NOT the same as salicylic acid; they come from the same family, but they are not the same, and the doses recommended by many online do-it-yourself recepies of 6 to 8 tablets is way more than a standard dose for ingestion. Why would you subject your face to something too strong for your stomach to handle?!?! That very dry feeling that your skin has to it after one of these masks... it's caused by corrosion. That's right, your face is being chemically rotted and oxidized.

Aspirin paste does not create only salicylic acid. You have to dissolve (i.e. make the powder go away completely in a BIG glass of water) it to get all of it to turn into salicylic acid, and then you also get acetic acid (the part that comes off the aspirin molecules to produce salicylic acid). Now, this paste-mask seems to work because some of the aspirin is converted into those two products. They help kill bacteria at low concentrations, but did you know that acetic acid can also be mildly corrosive when applied in an unknown concentration and that too much salicylic acid can promote free radical production? How long ago did you take chemistry? Did you get a really good grade? Are you absolutely certain of the concentrations you're administering to your precious face?

As a chemist, (not a pharmacist, we're talking about "hot chick in lab coat") I want to let you know that there are some properties of ASA that you need to be aware of. In the short run, the soreness of the skin associated with clogged pores goes away because the aspirin you are applying an analgesic (pain killer) and the unknown amounts of salicylic and acetic acids that dissolved help dry the skin and kill the bacteria in your pores. Over time, however, you *might* actually age your face faster than it would naturally. By inspiring free radical production, you *might be* giving your cells the green light for aging. Most cosmetic companies are convinced that free radicals cause aging; the data on this is not really confirmed, but there is a risk that free radicals could cause aging. Also, all of the undissolved aspirin can reduce your skin's plumpness and firmness. Aspirin is a known blood thinner, and this can cause cells to become less "full" looking. Aspirin also suppresses certain receptors that maintain cell elasticity. Aspirin is great at reducing inflamation in injured tissues and saving lives during clot-induced heart attacks, but thinned blood and decreased cellular membrane strength are not good for the face. They can make your face blotchy with extra blood flow and saggy as the damage done to cell membranes is practically irreversible.

AND IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH OF A REASON...

It is possible to overdose on aspirin in two ways. One can take one big dose (take in a whole bottle of pills) which is called an acute overdose, with a mortality rate (we're talking about "you are dead" here) of 2%. More importantly to note, one can be poisoned by chronic use. Your skin is not simply a covering for your body that looks gorgeous, it also absorbs what you put on it. Chronic use involves taking doses that are larger than the recommended amount over time, and this is far more lethal with a mortality rate of an astonishing 25%. Young people should be particularly careful around aspirin because they are more sensitive to the toxicity. When you are applying aspirin to your skin, you are administering doses to yourself. While it is not the same as eating the tablets, and it is not fully understood how much of the chemicals are taken up by the skin, the skin on your face is known to be very very thin as opposed to skin on the rest of your body and it has very very many blood vessels in it. Please be careful in making sure that you are not over-doing it.

I know that this post was really long, but the cheap solution of aspirin masks for your acne may only lead to much more expensive anti-aging treatments much sooner than you would normally need them. In my opinion, you should strive to use actual facial products on your face; you only get one. Creating your own potions may be fun, but it isn't worth the risks.

loves you pushing up roses! i tried the aspirin thing tonight. not as a mask but as a spot treatment. and lord have mercy. i was dabbing my friends with the paste, and they were shrinking right before my eyes. i could not believe it. like really. im amazed. loves it!

I'm so glad it worked well for you! :)

I find it only really works for my clogged pores, and stops black heads from forming dead in there tracks. Oh, it also helps with inflamation. Tones it down.

I haven't been able to keep up with it, since I have been on this darned med.

I have a couple of questions about it.

Should I use it in the morning instead? And maybe use it as a mask? Because I just spoted treated with it..Would it be more beneficail everywhere on my face? I am just scared of putting things on my face where they don't need it..Does this hlp prevent pimples from forming?

I used it as a mask, but NOT everyday, it's too harsh for that. It doesn't hurt the areas of my face that are clear, infact it makes my entire face softer and brighter. As you may have read, some people spot treat with it, which works great too, and if you spot treat you can probably use it everyday. If you use the mask, use it in the morning so your face will look nice and bright. :) If you spot, do it before bed and sleep with it.

Aw...great..Now i feel discourged about the mask, and frankly afraid...

I guess i'll stop doing it.

Well, don't be afraid of discouraged. If you overdo ANYTHING, it can have ill effects, there is no acception for the aspirin mask. Thats why it's good 2-3 times a week, tops. But don't be discouraged because someone says not to overdo it. ANY product for your face can be overused or overdone. Exfoliators in general should not be over used.

I used it as a mask, but NOT everyday, it's too harsh for that. It doesn't hurt the areas of my face that are clear, infact it makes my entire face softer and brighter. As you may have read, some people spot treat with it, which works great too, and if you spot treat you can probably use it everyday. If you use the mask, use it in the morning so your face will look nice and bright. :) If you spot, do it before bed and sleep with it.

I'll be using it in the morning, thanks :) I hope that it makes my skin soft too!

Do you think though that using this on our faces is going to cause premature aging, and is dangerous? I know that to much Tea Tree oil is toxic to the liver. I know that BP causes premature aging too. So yeah, a lot of good products can have ill effects.

WOW Roses....I think you made Acne.org history. Unless I missed something, there isn't a single person on this thread who claims to have gotten a breakout directly from an aspirin mask! Pretty impressive!! :clap:

If nothing else, I'd love to try this as a spot treatment. Goodness knows I have enough spots to contend with right now. THANKS for sharing your experience!!

Rache- I do agree it can cause premature aging on certain skin types. But I believe thats only if you REALLY overdo it. If you're concerned, maybe use it only twice a week. Your skin stays soft for a few days, so only two times per week shouldn't be too stressful for your skin. :)

WOW Roses....I think you made Acne.org history. Unless I missed something, there isn't a single person on this thread who claims to have gotten a breakout directly from an aspirin mask! Pretty impressive!! :clap:

If nothing else, I'd love to try this as a spot treatment. Goodness knows I have enough spots to contend with right now. THANKS for sharing your experience!!

No problem! I am not using it anymore as it is too strong to use with green cream, which is what I am using to smooth out my skin. I don't know anyone who has broken out from using the mask, I guess purging is possible, but I found once I started it kept me clear. Try as a spot treatment and come back and tell us how it went :)

Pushing up roses, does this cause an break outs or anything? I know some "masks" push things to the surface, like a mini-initial break out? Also...is it good for red marks? And how often do you use it? I might try this out...

I tried this last night on my bacne...I think my face is too sensitive for it...and it did seem to fade some redmarks and begin to heal my breakout, although admittedly, it was not a severe breakout.

Do you think Excedrin would work as well????

Is exedrin a type of aspirin? Only aspirin will work for the mask. I buy the generic store brand kind, they are uncoated and easy to crush, and cheaper for the amount you get. I bought a bottle of 500 for six dollars.

Pushing up roses, does this cause an break outs or anything? I know some "masks" push things to the surface, like a mini-initial break out? Also...is it good for red marks? And how often do you use it? I might try this out...

It did not cause me to break out, and as far as I know it hasn't caused anyone else to. But it's always possible you might purge a tiny bit. Since it can be used to exfoliate, I'd say it's good for red marks. If anything, it will not hurt your red marks. When I did the masks I used it 3 times a week, 2 if my face was flaky. I used it in the morning, in the shower. :) 5-10 minutes should be fine if you decide to.

I just let mine dissolve in a tablespoon of water and apply it with a cotton pad on my face. It is still a little bit grainy, maybe I should grind it up first, then apply it?

I just let mine dissolve in a tablespoon of water and apply it with a cotton pad on my face. It is still a little bit grainy, maybe I should grind it up first, then apply it?

I soak the tablets in water first, then use a spoon to mash them up. I apply it with my hands because I don't want to lose any of the aspirin. :)

Good idea. That makes much more sense to do that. Thanks :)

Oh, and should you cleanse your face before using the mask. Or can you can just spalsh with water, then use the mask afterwards.?

(because I have read everywhere. That if you have senstive skin/acne prone, you should be only washing your face with a antibacterial cleanser at night time. Anymore would be to irritating leading to more breakouts.)

Good idea. That makes much more sense to do that. Thanks :)

Oh, and should you cleanse your face before using the mask. Or can you can just spalsh with water, then use the mask afterwards.?

(because I have read everywhere. That if you have senstive skin/acne prone, you should be only washing your face with a antibacterial cleanser at night time. Anymore would be to irritating leading to more breakouts.)

I use a VERY VERY gentle cleanser to wash off any bacteria my skin may have collected from tossing and turning on my pillow. You could probably also just splash it with water too though, I don't see why not.

i have some coated tylenol..would that work?

when you apply it to your whole face how long do you let it sit?

Tylenol will NOT work. It does not have the same properties as aspirin. I live it on my whole face from 5-10 minutes.

Tylenol will NOT work. It does not have the same properties as aspirin. I live it on my whole face from 5-10 minutes.

oh ok..im glad i asked first..thanks!

oh ok..im glad i asked first..thanks!

Sure thing :)

Sorry pushing up for roses.

I have one more question to ask you..

I did what you said with the spoon mashing after..but the thing is when I scooped it up in my hands it was very runny..and then there was bits of the asprin that was just like grains. Is it okay thats its grainy like that? Or does it have to be more of a consistent paste in order to clear me up? And how can I make it more pastey-like?(1/2 tbs instead of 1).

Thanks!

(it is helping me..I can see a slight improvment!) :)

Sorry pushing up for roses.

I have one more question to ask you..

I did what you said with the spoon mashing after..but the thing is when I scooped it up in my hands it was very runny..and then there was bits of the asprin that was just like grains. Is it okay thats its grainy like that? Or does it have to be more of a consistent paste in order to clear me up? And how can I make it more pastey-like?(1/2 tbs instead of 1).

Thanks!

(it is helping me..I can see a slight improvment!) :)

It's okay if it's a bit grainy. :) The only way to make it really pasty is excessive spoon mashing and a little bit of water. Some people mix the mashed aspirin with aloe vera, honey, or yogurt, and that makes it easier to stick to your face. I have never mixed it with anything, so I am not sure what the results are like with those things. I HAVE mixed it with Queen Helene's mint julip mask to make it stick to my face easier, and have gotten good results. :)

Wow...I was really skeptical about doing this...But I did it. And wow. My skin felt soft, and I didn't even break out!!! I thought I would, cause my skin is soo prone to breaking out when it comes to putting anything different on it..The marks don't look much different, but I don't expect immediate results in that department. Thanks for posting this topic Pushing Up Roses...Hopefully I'll keep up with this 2-3 times a week and my skin will look better. :)

Wow...I was really skeptical about doing this...But I did it. And wow. My skin felt soft, and I didn't even break out!!! I thought I would, cause my skin is soo prone to breaking out when it comes to putting anything different on it..The marks don't look much different, but I don't expect immediate results in that department. Thanks for posting this topic Pushing Up Roses...Hopefully I'll keep up with this 2-3 times a week and my skin will look better. :)

Excellent! I was VERY skeptical about trying this as well. But it really does help blemishes and refine pores temporarily. I'm glad I tried it. :D

I am going to try this over the weekend. My face has been getting worse and worse since then end of May...so roughly 3 mths. I have a appt. with a derm on Monday (cannot wait)...will let you guys know how that goes....