Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yesac

Parents just don't understand

So my dermatologist is willing to put me on the drug Accutane comming up this September 13th but my Mom is being very unsupportive and does not want me to do it. She claims my skin is fine. I've been suffering for the past 4 years of my life, just wanting my skin to be normal again and now I finally have that chance. She doesn't know what it's like to wash your face and then have it become oily 2 hours after etc. I just want to live a normal life with clear skin.. thats all.

She thinks the drug accutane is bad for the body... ne1 have any sites i could show her that would give us good information about the drug?

So my dermatologist is willing to put me on the drug Accutane comming up this September 13th but my Mom is being very unsupportive and does not want me to do it. She claims my skin is fine. I've been suffering for the past 4 years of my life, just wanting my skin to be normal again and now I finally have that chance. She doesn't know what it's like to wash your face and then have it become oily 2 hours after etc. I just want to live a normal life with clear skin.. thats all.

She thinks the drug accutane is bad for the body... ne1 have any sites i could show her that would give us good information about the drug?

Accutane can be damaging to the body, and it isn't entirely safe. It is a dangerous drug that one should be cautious about. Has your doctor tried giving your Differen or something like it? Has he tried anti-biotics? How long has he waited before proposing Accutane, or did you apply pressure to get him to offer it?

Accutane is something you have to be careful about. I'd recommend trying everything else first, including CSR from this site. If your doctor hasn't shown an interest in trying different approaches, or doesn't seem interested in working with you to solve your acne problem, then you should find another doctor who is.

By the way, just how bad is your acne? How many white heads do you typically have? How many of them are typically inflamed (red swollen-ish skin around the white head)? How many cysts and under-the skin stuff do you have? Accutane is usually only appropriate for pretty extreme acne.

By the way, I understand your frustrating and worry. I'm 25 and in some ways it seems like my acne has gotten worse. I seem to get more cysts and such now anyhow. I've often had 10+ pimples, most of them inflamed, at any time. This has been the case for 10 or so years too. I hate how they hurt, and how they make me look.* Nonetheless, I prefer to try all the safe treatments first. Right now I am doing CSR, exercising, taking some vitamins, and trying to anti-inflammatories and seeing how things go. So far it seems to be helping out a great deal (it has been two months). Remember it takes 1-2 months of using a treatment (everyday where applicable) before you start to see results.**

Anyhow, I advise caution, and I also note your mother's concerns are valid.

-Drachasor

*Certainly I think my acne problem greatly increased how often I frown and reduced my smiling a lot. Over 10+ years that makes a very noticeable effect on one's "neutral" facial expression. But one must keep on keeping on... (as they say)

**I was a bit handicapped since I had untreated ADHD for about 9 of the last 10 years, which made it hard for me to apply my medication everyday.

My mom was the same way. I'm starting accutane tomorrow and my mom is still very against it. How old are you because if you are over 18 you dont have to have parental consent.

see the this topic that I started a while ago. How can I convince my mom.

Guest PurpleHaze1

Im sorry your mom is acting like this. My mom and dad did the exact same thing when I wanted to go on it, but I told them its not up to you. I got the money and a medical card so its not up to them. They finally said your right and then they paid for it :D But yes some parents just dont understand how looks can be so important sometimes. They are used to way back in their day where it wasnt such a big deal.

Accutane comes with side effects and is a roller coaster ride. But Its your choice, and if you are a responsible person, then I think its your right t make the decision. Its your pain from acne, your choice. Part of growing up is making decisions, and sometimes making the wrong ones and owning up to the consequences. I like making my own decisions and doing my own things my way. I dont like making bad choices, but I like learning from my mistakes.

The only way is if you can make your parents realize how much it means and how terrible you feel.There is no strong drug in the world that doesn't not have side effects,make you parents realize that if they are so worried then they shouldnt even let you go out of your house >thinking there is some 'danger' outside & you could get hurt.It has some usual side effects and some tough ones which happen to few people,make them to talk to your doc and read the booklet.Its an expensive course but i hope you get it and get over with acne (hopefully).