Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Time4HighSelfEsteem

Self Esteem's Post Accutane Log 40mg-A singer in LA's story

Ok here is my story for people that haven't kept track of me:

I started getting cystic and nodular acne at 12. I had it all the way until I was 22 pretty bad and it was all over my back also. I cleared up my back through diet and cleansing, as well as a lot of my face...but now at 28, I still have cysts come out every few days. I have found that it is hormonal and related to food allergies. After trying every topical and antibiotic under the sun as well as B5, I decided to end this struggle once and for all. Acne has compromised my life in so many ways. I am in the entertainment industry and I have always been stressed about my skin for my job. I also have had many years of hiding behind makeup even while sleeping next to partners. I have been unable to look people in the eye due to the shame of my face for years. My acne is relatively mild now but cystic and chronic as well as I have many scars, pock marks and damaged pores from so many years of constant acne. The emotional strain this has put on in my life has crushed my self esteem and has left me with obsession compulsion picking, looking in the mirror and wasting my life away in sadness about something that never stops. I am embarking on the accutane journey as well as taking yasmin in 2 weeks when my period comes. I have many fears coming up as I just popped my first pill an hour ago, but focusing on a positive experience as well as chugging water!

Day1

I pray that my journey is graceful with no side effects. I pray that once and for all my time is not spent focusing on why I am not good enough. Bless all who is on this journey! It takes courage to take this pill. Please stop by and support me when you can and I will do the same for you. I am on 5 month course.

Hi there! Just wanted to stop by and wish you luck on your acctune journey! It can be a bumpy road (no pun intended) but will be worth it in the end.

I've been on 'tane for just over 3 months now. There's definitely some side effects but tolerable considering I feel like I have my old life back.

Good luck to you! :)

Tanya

I noticed increased dryness within the first week. It happens very fast!

Did your derm tell you right away that you'd be on a 5 month course? That's cool because mine hasn't mentioned anything about the length of mine. I hope to stick it out for 6 months.

I wish you the best of luck! I know what you mean about not wanting to look people in the eye. I remember many times when my skin was so bad I was embarrassed to be seen without makeup on. When I lived with my bf, I used to hide a compact mirror in between the mattresses and look at my face as soon as I woke up to make sure I hadn't developed a huge pus-filled zit during the night. And if I had of course I ran in the bathroom to pop it!

Hey there,

Good luck with accutane. I hope everything goes well for you and I'm sure you will clear up beautifully. I start tomorrow so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

Good luck again, Jordan.

heather, thanks for the understanding. i can't wait to wear my hair back with no makeup on!! my derm did say 5 months right up front. i will be sure to visit your log.

jordan, wow, glad to have a newbie starting at the same time. let's compare notes to see the differences or similarities throughout the course. it will be nice to have reference on the same time frame. thanks for stopping by. i hope i will be clear fast and graciously. likewise for all of you!

thanks so much for coming by my log..

I'm so glad you're finally on tane..It's completely changed the way I think about my skin.

I LOVE this stuff!!

I wish you all the luck in the world!!

:D

Hey congrats on starting! I am *supposed* to start this week but my derm is very hard to get in touch with. His nurse, who I have been dealing with, is of course on vacation this week, so I just keep trying to get messages in to him to call me back. Without going into too much ipledge nightmare details, the odds are like 90/10 that I'll be able to start this week and NOT in my favor! Oh well I just need to keep bothering him and leaving messages and if he doesn't come through, there's always next month to start. Good luck to you!!!

hi bella! thanks for the response..i look forward to LOVING my skin!

redsoxluv,

i feel you! i had so many issues getting through ipledge. i had to wait online a the pharmacy only to find my derm forgot to submit my pregancy result. my derm is kind of disorganized and ipledge is so strict! i hope you get it this week. stay in touch :)

i am already having paranoia attacks about what it is gonna do in my body. my legs felt a little itchy, my nose feels dry and i hope i don't have an IB. plus i am still taking b5 but very low dose 1.5gm. I asked the derm is b5 was ok to take and he said yes. i hope he is right and i am not messing myself up. i am staying on b5 to combat an intial b/o. dont need that AT ALL!

Hi, thanks for stopping by my log and welcome to the forum!

After reading your first entry, I find it very earily similar to my past. I too was in the entertainment industry for years! It was only recently, when I quit, that I started to notice the scars so much because I wasn't wearing makeup as much. Maybe it was a little denial too, I dunno.

Anyways, enough about that! My dryness started within the first week! At about day 15 my oil was gone. My side effects have been minimal and bearable, but it seems like I am getting dryer and dryer. Its weird, but it seems like it has improved my complexion!

Good luck!

K

Guest ThereIsHope

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your results, especially since i'm planning on going on accutane and taking my B5 with it too. Please tell us how it goes with the IB and everything!

I'll be praying for you, and don't worry about it if it gets bad, because clear skin is just around the horizen! :D

Thereishope, thank you! When do you start accutane?

Day 2

Day 1 was rough with panic attacks on what is going to happen. I noticed whenever there was the slightest pain in my body. I felt super thirsty and drank 1 gallon of water. I also noticed dryness down there...don't know if it is related yet so soon...but one old cyst scar i had that was kind of lumpy went down already! wow. My face is very very oily on the nose and no active acne except for some clogged pores. I had just gotten over a breakout when i started yesterday so mostly have clogged pores to clear and some little pustules as well as areas of discoloration and scarring. Nervous about throat being too dry to sing. (That is my job) Oh well, i haven't popped my second pill yet as I want to get some food in me. Will write more later....

Guest ThereIsHope

Can't really say when I will start accutane. I'm going to the derm next wednesday and BEGGING for accutane. I have moderate acne all over my face with severe breakouts during my period. I also have mild acne on my chest and near-severe acne on my back. I just can't take it anymore. :(

Thanks man, one piece of advice. The first thing that hit me was the dry lips, and a lot of people recommend some expensive products. Just try a regular generic chapstick with petroleum jelly (petrolatum or something like that in it) rather than wax. The jelly works like a charm for me, and after a few days the heavy feel of it on my lips went away. Also its really cheap compared to some of the aquaphor/Dr. Dan's Cortibalm type of products.

Good luck,

Bob

Thanks Bob. Yay, i am gonna see how my body reacts before i go out and buy all these products like you said. i have vit e for my lips and it works pretty well. the only thing i bought today was omega 3 69 and pills cuz my joints are already sore as i am a runner.

thereishope, it sounds like you may be starting in a month or so if the derm gives it to you due to ipledge. i only had to pay $10 for my accutane due to insurance, but my bc cost $50 as it is a name brand. oh well. hope yours is cheap to. it really sucks to have those hormonal breakouts, i hear ya.

testosterone, thanks for the good luck wishes.

2nd pill was popped today. so far, so good. no side effects that are obvious really yet. my skin had some pustules yesterday that cleared up already. could i be a fast case? i am hoping i am off this stuff in 3 months. the shorter the better....

Hey, I thought I'd stop in to see how you are. Thanks for viewing my log. :angel: You may experience some side-effects. I think depending on the severity of your acne will determine how small or big your initial breakout could be, if any. Keep up the good work, and once you reach the end you'll be amazed. :cool:

Thanks for showing my journal some love! I can totally relate to your first post.. you sound very similar to me. Except I can't sing worth a crap :lol: I can definitely relate to the whole idea of always wearing makeup around my guy. I've been with my BF for a year in October and I still don't wash my makeup off when he stays over. Luckily that's only like 1 or 2 times a week so it doesn't kill me too bad. I'd still have acne regardless! But hopefully in a few months neither one of us will ever have to be self-conscious like this ever again. It's taken a lot of fun out of my twenty-something years. I am just so grateful I found the best guy ever who doesn't even notice my skin flaws. Well once I am done with this 6 month course, I will no longer be envious of his great skin cuz I will have it too! Stay positive and keep in touch.. I'm only a couple days behind ya!!

Redsox,that is so funny. My guy has FLAWLESS amazing skin to and I am so envious of it. It's true, it is great to have a guy who thinks your gorgeous regardless. He always tells me he and it really helps as bad as it is to get it from something external. I want to feel it for myself one day. We will soon :) I hope our whole accutane trip is as easy as can be...

Day 3

Wow, I am sleeping crappy. I guess I am dealing with some insomnia as I adjust to the medication...tossing and turning. Woke up in the middle of night with some anxiety about the med and what it is doing. I can feel something foreign is inside of me and i have to just let go and stop trying to control it. It is just gonna work its magic and i have to surrender to it.

I woke up this morning with less pustules and less clogged pores. In fact, there are parts of my skin I have never even seen because they are always clogged with blackhead and little bumps. And guess what I discovered this morning? I have more scars than I thought! Now that there is less acne over them, I can see they are there. I am already thinking about my after treatment for them. Not sure where to begin with that. Hopefully tane will peel them away. Also, my nose has almost no blackheads on it. It is usually covered in them. It still feels oily, but no blackheads. Where do they go? It's like they melted into my face or something. I am psyched about things already changing.

The only side effect I have today is being tired from waking up so much last night. I got fish oil for my joints yesterday and it gave me some gas...ick. I guess my body is just adjusting to everything all at once. My skin feels smoother to. Even started back at the gym as I used to run outside (avoiding sun now) and it felt great to lift weights. Yipee!! I love this stuff so far.....

Hey there,

I wouldn't worry too much about your scars yet. My derm said my scarring is superficial and accutane *should* take care of em. If they're not completely gone by the time this is all over, I'm sure they'll be much less noticeable. After you've been off tane for 6 months, and you're not completely satisfied with everything, you can get some laser treatment. Smoothbeam is supposed to work well for scarring and most insurances cover it. Besides treating scars, it also treats active acne, so it can be considered an acne treatment instead of just a cosmetic procedure (most insurances won't cover things that are considered cosmetic). Talk 2 ya later!

time for h.s.e -

Hi there :) your intro held a lot of similarities to myself, i hear you on wearing make up/even when sleeping with partners.however i was somehow brave enough to ditch make up completely a year ago, with these cysts though i can hardly apply it with the pain anyway :lol: to me its a kin to beating a drug addiction..i didnt leave the house without it for about 3 years..i think peoples glances are a fair trade for less blocked pores too.

I am going to follow your course right the way through.. i am seeing my new private very expensive :doubt: dermatologist in 2 weeks time and i will leave her office hopefully with a prescription for accutane..the only thing i worry of is my ibs and how it may effect my levels in the pre-tests, but fingers crossed.i should be about a month behind you.

I hope your not experiencing too much in the way of side effects so far..maybe you can give a heads up to those close to you about how you feel and how you will feel, so that when your really tense maye someone would just sit with you, calm you down..you need the support, ye know..

I wish you the very very best of luck..we can all fathom what your feeling and support you 100%

-Orla

Suninmymouth

look forward to sharing this experience with you. Thanks for the good luck wishes. I have 0 side effects so far. I even ran in the sun today with sunblock for 30 minutes. Didn't burn me, but i am darker skinned. Yes, my roomate and b/f are total support for whatever happens on this drug. I get anxiety and talk to them. today i had none.

Day 4

so last night had a few sips of wine and it didn't feel right. I got nervous and stopped. skin has some small pustlues coming outll pores starting to show more. feel good mood and no dry skin. just less oily and more smooth. more later gotta go...redsox thanks for the scar info. hopefully tane will take these buggers away. the holes and pock marks are looking more tolerable.

jordan thanks how r u?