Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iwantperfectskin

Thinking of giving up the CSR for accutane

Well, to say the least, i'm not happy with my face. No, I don't have much acne on my face after being religious with the CSR for a little less than year. However, my face is red and darker than the rest of my skin. Not to mention my face is always flakey unless I put on copious amounts of moisturizer and I can't go swimming because if i get out my face would just be COVERED in wet scales which looks worse than acne (and definitely more embarassing). My face is too sensitive for AHA.

I was wondering:

Do you guys think I should try low dose accutane?

Would the accutane clear up my face?

I heard it makes you low healing so would it make my face permanently red?

Will there be many side effects even with a low dose?

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your help.

I went on accutane with mild acne. I don't know why my doctor agreed to prescribe it, she wasn't even a derm.Anyways, I took it for like 3 months and... NOTHING!

I might be wrong, but I heard that accutane is most effective on people with moderate to severe acne. It changed absolutely nothing for me, except that I had dry skin and couldn't drink.

Talk about it with your derm...have you tried other solutions?

My regimen is currently as follows:

Wash with cetaphil

Put on BP ( concentrating on cheeks )

Moisturize with Dove sensitive skin moisturizer (I had to quit Cetaphil because i thought maybe it was that that was making me red , so I am testing out this one. Don't think its working)

and then if I'm going outside AT ALL I put on Neutrogena DryTouch SPF 45

I think that you should discuss Accutane with your doctor. While Accutane can work amazingly, you should also be aware of its potential side-effects. That way, you and your doctor can weigh whether Accutane is right for you.

Personally, I loved the results I got from Accutane. I got perfect skin for a year or so. And when my acne came back, darn persistent acne, it was far less severe. Now I can manage it quite well with the CSR (thanks again, Dan!).

Cam >B)

I think that you should discuss Accutane with your doctor. While Accutane can work amazingly, you should also be aware of its potential side-effects. That way, you and your doctor can weigh whether Accutane is right for you.

Personally, I loved the results I got from Accutane. I got perfect skin for a year or so. And when my acne came back, darn persistent acne, it was far less severe. Now I can manage it quite well with the CSR (thanks again, Dan!).

Cam >B)

Technically the CSR can control my acne. I just have "side-effects". Red, wierd looking skin, and constant flaking. Not to mention, I can't swim socially even though there is a wonderful pool here at my new college. My skin would just look disgusting and full of wet flakes.

Also, my face has been red for months and months. Do I need to let my face heal? Have I permanently ****ed up my face from doing the CSR? :(

Is it just me, or does nearly everyone who went on Accutane have their acne return? I know 3 people in real life who went on it, and all 3 had their acne come back. For having a 85% succcess rate or whatever it is, Accutane doesn't seem to work very well.

I used Accutane for about 3-4 months with 20mg when I had mild-moderate acne. The result was not that impressive, but it got better. Then a year later, my dermatologist recommended me trying it again for 6 months (40mg this time) and I love the result. However, the initial breakout was totally insane! You would just want to stay in your room the first 3 months lol. I didn't use any tropical cream/gel with it, or any AHA lotion so the red marks took more than a year to fade. I never really had any acne since then for about 2 years.

iwantperfectskin, I don't think Accutane is for you. You said you don't have much acne on your face because you do the CSR, and your main complaint is of dry, flaky skin. Accutane is for relatively bad or stubborn and persistant acne, and one of the side effects is getting dried out! Maybe since your acne is pretty well under control, you could try slowly ramping down the amount of BP you apply to reduce dryness. Also, consider using a moisturizer that contains sunscreen rather than sunscreen as a separate product for convenience sake. Finally, have you considered Apple Cider Vinegar and/or baking soda? ACV has moisturizing properites, it exfoliates, and it reduces redness and red marks while evening out skin tone. Baking soda, when mixed with water to form a paste, makes a good exfoliator to gently remove the stubborn flakes. These are some things you could consider, but don't try them all at once. If you get an undesirable result, you will not know which product caused it. Good luck!

...but don't try them all at once. If you get an undesirable result, you will not know which product caused it.

I got that "undesirable result" she spoke of, and now I don't know if it was the vinegar or baking soda. It set me back in my regimen and I can't even use BP at this point due to the burning, dryness, and flaking. I need some major healing time.

Huh, how about before you swim wash off all the moisturizer and BP, and then swim, and after you swim do the regimen?

In the regimen guide it said if your gonna do anything that involves sweating to try and work a schedule to do the regimen after that stuff....or is that not the problem?

Well, it kind of would be a problem since my life here in college doesn't have much of a schedule.

And the main problem isn't the flaking, however that is a big one. The main problem is my face is red and its very obvious because it is not red right around my eyes. (like i tanned wearing sunglasses)

And I feel that the exfoliation isn't for me because it would only make my face more red and chemically burned. :doh:

Well, it kind of would be a problem since my life here in college doesn't have much of a schedule.

And the main problem isn't the flaking, however that is a big one. The main problem is my face is red and its very obvious because it is not red right around my eyes. (like i tanned wearing sunglasses)

And I feel that the exfoliation isn't for me because it would only make my face more red and chemically burned. :doh:

Try starting with the ACV then. I would dilute it A LOT (like a 1:8 ratio ACV to water to start) because it will soothe and soften while helping to reduce redness. It would not give you a chemical burn because it is not a chemical. It may make you a little red right when you apply it, but that goes away quickly (as does the smell!). The way you describe your redness (not red around the eyes) sounds like it is from your products. Have you tried to start ramping down the amount of BP you use? That would probably help.

Some people here on the org swear by aspirin masks to reduce inflammation. Some also dissolve one or two aspirin tablets right in their ACV mixture. I haven't tried it myself or researched it very much, so I don't know too much about it. You may want to investigate that avenue, also.

Don't forget, whatever you do decide to try, take pictures! You don't have to post them (even though we would love to see your progress), but it would be helpful for you to be able to compare one day or week to another. It's easier than trying to remember how red it was last week or last month. Good luck!

Even though my acne came back, I would still call Accutane successful. I had REALLY severe acne before, and it never came back as badly. It's very persistent, though. If I'm like my sisters, I'll have acne well into my 40s (or longer).

Still, the CSR rocks my world, keeping my acne very under control.

Cam >B)

Is it just me, or does nearly everyone who went on Accutane have their acne return? I know 3 people in real life who went on it, and all 3 had their acne come back. For having a 85% succcess rate or whatever it is, Accutane doesn't seem to work very well.

Cam >B)

I agree with everything Cambo stated above.

Technically the CSR can control my acne. I just have "side-effects". Red, wierd looking skin, and constant flaking. Not to mention, I can't swim socially even though there is a wonderful pool here at my new college. My skin would just look disgusting and full of wet flakes.

Also, my face has been red for months and months. Do I need to let my face heal? Have I permanently ****ed up my face from doing the CSR? :(

You will have side-effects with every acne treatment program. Accutane will also make your face red and dry and flaky.

Maybe we need to review your Regimen, see if we can tweak it a bit.

As for swimming, take along a moisturizer for when your skin gets dry.

I don't think Accutane is as much of a cure as the derms think it is. Mine thinks it is a cure if the patient never returns to report his/her acne came back. I think alot of people still get acne post-tane but mange it with over-the-counter products, and the derm never finds out. I haven't returned to my derm since I quit Accutane, so as far as I know, he thinks I'm "cured".

Well, I think what began to make my face extra was the cetaphil. So, recently I bought Dove sensitive skin moisturizer. In addition, I decided to apply the Dove moisturizer everywhere EXCEPT my cheeks (where I get my redness). I also decided to usually only apply BP at night. So far my redness has calmed down a little and haven't seen much more acne activity then normal. But anyways my CSR is as follows:

Morning:

Cetaphil wash in shower

apply dove moisturizer to everyhwhere but cheeks

apply neutrogena dry-touch spf 35 sunscreen

Night:

Cetaphil wash in shower

apply dove moistuizer to everywhere but cheeks

edit: but I am still not happy with the redness. for some reason on the left side of my face you still can clearly see a line under my eyes where the redness stops

Just hang in there, and the redness will stop :). If you start Accutane, you'll suffer even longer during the initial breakout period. I'd rather be temporary red than that. Stick with the regimen, I'll fight along with you!

My exact situation as well.

I tried Vitacilina (retinol+neomicine) to balance my skin tone. The result? terrible breakouts that haven't subsided. And skin tone still very unbalanced. So, whatever you do, don't ever try that!

You guys that are still dry/flaking/irritated please try the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. See if that helps. You can alternate it with the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion if you still want something that will exfoliate.